Fireman12s

Hi All, 

So I am relatively new here in the forum, however, I though this would be an important thing to put out there…  I am currently a Paramedic Student, and I thought this was quite interesting and something rather important for all of us to be aware of.  Specifically it involves Zoanthid Corals.  I am sure some of you old timers are aware of this, as this article was written about an individual living locally in the DC area.  There are some corals that are potentially poisonous… and very poisonous at that… In the last part of the article it goes on to discuss venom potency… 

Let me take a moment to explain...

The most poisionus snake has a venom potency of 25 micrograms per kilogram of body weight… or 0.000025 grams. The venom potency of the coral is 0.0000003 grams.  OK, so how much in Ounces is this you ask?  It is 0.00000001 Oz. while the snake is 0.0000009 Oz.  Quite potent, wouldn't you say?  So, pay attention to the signs and symptoms.. and if you are handling corals, and they are of this specific type, you may want to get yourself,  checked out at the hospital and your coral checked out at the LFS.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/05/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/#.Unk4L6Wy_wI

Just some food for thought.

B

Hi All, 

So I am relatively new here in the forum, however, I though this would be an important thing to put out there…  I am currently a Paramedic Student, and I thought this was quite interesting and something rather important for all of us to be aware of.  Specifically it involves Zoanthid Corals.  I am sure some of you old timers are aware of this, as this article was written about an individual living locally in the DC area.  There are some corals that are potentially poisonous… and very poisonous at that… In the last part of the article it goes on to discuss venom potency… 

Let me take a moment to explain...

The most poisionus snake has a venom potency of 25 micrograms per kilogram of body weight… or 0.000025 grams. The venom potency of the coral is 0.0000003 grams.  OK, so how much in Ounces is this you ask?  It is 0.00000001 Oz. while the snake is 0.0000009 Oz.  Quite potent, wouldn't you say?  So, pay attention to the signs and symptoms.. and if you are handling corals, and they are of this specific type, you may want to get yourself,  checked out at the hospital and your coral checked out at the LFS.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/05/worlds-2nd-deadliest-poison-in-an-aquarium-store-near-you/#.Unk4L6Wy_wI

Just some food for thought.

B

We know him well. He's a respected member here. Most of us are very familiar with the Palytoxin risk. Nevertheless, some of us have suffered exposure multiple times. :blush:  But none nearly as bad off as Steve. Inhalation has given me the worst symptoms that I've felt. But you can suffer through open cuts, eyes, and other mucous membrane contact. We have some good threads here on the subject, which includes personal stories of exposure and the resulting symptoms.

This is definitely a great reminder, though - especially for newer members who haven't seen some of the older threads.  Thanks for bringing it up!  Given all of the fragging of Captain America palys that's been going on lately probably very timely.   :happy:  (Though I have no idea if those have the toxin.)

Blake... if you're at the store... ask Vince... he knows first hand as well... I remember coming back one day and he basically looked like he just finished running a marathon... on heels :laugh:

Man, what kind of idiot tries to boil poisonous corals off a..........oh, wait........nevermind.

lol...well someone has to try this stuff! glad though that you shared you experiances with others so that hopefully none of us or them make the same mistake....

and sounds like everyone that day has shared your experiances,lol

Blake... if you're at the store... ask Vince... he knows first hand as well... I remember coming back one day and he basically looked like he just finished running a marathon... on heels :laugh:

Drag Queen Races in DC????

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched videos and read a ton on it, but how exactly do you frag zoas, minus gloves, eye protection and breathing mask? My bambams are multiplying like crazy and I will def have to some fragging in the near future.

I use a razor...and then I try to superglue them to another frag plug...doesn't always work well...they get slimy fast! You kind of have scrape some with the blade...depending on how they spread...

I have watched videos and read a ton on it, but how exactly do you frag zoas, minus gloves, eye protection and breathing mask? My bambams are multiplying like crazy and I will def have to some fragging in the near future.

Bring them on by and I'll show you, easy peasy.