55g sump build

Duke

I'm getting ready to build my sump this weekend. It's for my 125 and the sump is going to be a 55. Has anyone ever used Lowes or Home Depot glass on a build this size? I believe they only sell 1/8" glass. My local glass shop is being really difficult and they will not take my order because they are really backed up they say. Wanted to see before going out of town to purchase my glass, if anything thinner than a 1/4" will work.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can buy glass and cut it yourself which is really easy. just do a youtube search. of you can buy pane glass and simply double up and glue each together with some squiggles of silicone to form the 1/4" you want. then you or a shop can polish the edges for nick-free maintenance of drop a heavy bead of silicone on the edges or get some edge guard from mcmaster on the cheap and slip on the end of the edge.

Edited by monkiboy

I used 1/8" on my sump. It's not a 55 gallon but I'm confident that will work. Your baffles are not caring the load of the water. Typically there's water on both sides so it's my opinion you'll be fine. I'd buy some sand paper to smooth the edges though.

I agree with trying to cut it yourself and its easy to do so but if lowes breaks it you don't buy it twice. My lowes cut for free so I just had them cut it up

Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'm going to double up the sheets of glass for each baffle. I built a 10g previously using acrylic but its starting to bow at the last baffle to the return. Can't imagine what'll it be like for a 55g so I'm a bit hesitant going that route.

No way! That's an awesome idea.

Thanks!

Just did a 55 sump....thanks to Steve at QR for the idea...get 2 10G tanks from petco and tear them part. They fit directly into the 55. I only had to make 1 cut.

Works like a charm.  Never tried acrylic baffles before but I have seen many iterations of it on different forums where it bows out if the acrylic is too thin.  Just some food for thought.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is not easy at all! Already cut myself numerous time but, gotta finish what I started!

Wish me luck!

Posted Image

Lost a side piece. But these are still good

So what pieces am I actually using to go in the sump?

So what pieces am I actually using to go in the sump?

That is the fun part. That is up to you on how you wanna do it. I have a tall 14 piece where my drains and skimmer is, then the fuge, then 3 pieces 1 inch apart and the middle one 1 inch off the bottom for a bubble trap, then my return pump. You will see immediately which pieces fit flush and which don't.

Nothing fits without a slight modification though, how hard is it to cut like half an inch from the glass? The smallest piece leaves like a 2" gap, and the bigger piece is sitting crooked.

Nothing fits without a slight modification though, how hard is it to cut like half an inch from the glass? The smallest piece leaves like a 2" gap, and the bigger piece is sitting crooked.

Wow all mine fit exactly. Did you trim off all the silicone? I did have to cut one piece to make my skimmer/overflow baffle to height, but that was really easy with a cheap glass cutter from lowes. Keep in mind it oesnt have to be extremely perfect as long as it does the job.

I got the tank from petco. After taking apart the glass. It's not a perfect fit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Duke,

why not save yourself some trouble and $$. Just determine how many glass baffles you need and measure the (dimensions - 1/16 of an inch). Go to Lowes and have them cut the baffles to your need. Chose a piece of glass that enough for your project, that way you don't have to spent $$ on multiple pieces. After that, go to the $1 store and pickup a sharpening block (usually $2-3) like this: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/whetstonecutlerytwosidedwhetstonesharpeningstone.cfm?source=pla&kwid=Camping%20High&tid=ASR7243&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=ASR7243&gclid=COu4sMvDvLoCFUie4AodVToAdw

You only need to file down on edge on each of the baffles sine the other 3 edges are silicone to the tank. Don't forget to wear gloves. 

Edited by flooddc

Looks like the brands of tank can vary in sizes.

I got a petco brand 10g in which I should have gotten an Aqueon. My 55 is an Aqueon and maybe that's why it didn't fit?

Maybe I'll head to lowes and buy double for each baffle.

How am I going to explain these scars??

All that trim tearing, silicone cutting, glass breaking for nothing…

:/

What's the reason to do double for each baffles? I use the same 3/16 on my 70 gallons refugium and still no problem for almost 2 years!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10002234@N07/7321481830/

Lowes and Home Depot only sell 1/8 glass. Anything thicker I'd have to go to a local glass shop. 1/4 glass is what's recommended by everyone to use for a sump. But I may be wrong on what they sell, I last checked 2 weeks ago