Staring at an uphill battle

YHSublime

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry about your situation. I am happy to come help if you need it. I also have 3 established sponges in my sump, possibly 4. And I have a 20 long that has never been used.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

If you want to order some chloroquine Phosphate and are having a hard time finding it. I got mine from nicewrasse.com

Thanks for that bud.

:(

This is sad for me to see!

For me as well, I am acting as fast as possible in order to hopefully treat.

here are some pictures from right now. My Fiance said that the Chevy became pretty active about an hour ago, it ate on 2 clips of seaweed, and I just fed the tank with chevron eating successfully. It makes me wonder if I have misdiagnosed?

Video:

th_DSC_0243_zps73186892.jpg

Pics"

DSC_0241_zps2e048512.jpg

DSC_0242_zps83090427.jpg

DSC_0240_zps2759943c.jpg

This guy is zooming around the tank, and I'm worried about drastic measure stressing it out even more. Would like some solid advice, will try to snap some awesome pictures.

All the pics are of the same side, he just chills in front of the JB getting blow, hard to get him to turn around

DSC_0243_zps01e4e123.jpg

DSC_0248_zpsd9c7ce70.jpg

DSC_0243_zps01e4e123.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsef51b3c0.jpg

DSC_0256_zpsf6df82fe.jpg

DSC_0258_zpsb1781ca1.jpg

DSC_0261_zpsa7438b18.jpg

I am so sorry about your situation. I am happy to come help if you need it. I also have 3 established sponges in my sump, possibly 4. And I have a 20 long that has never been used.

Sent from my toaster using tapatalk2

Thanks for the offer. I think I should be alright, but I do appreciate it.

Let me know if you need anything, I'll be heading north tomorrow for work and can drop anything by your home if needed

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I should be alright.

I'm at a loss, this morning something was terribly wrong, this evening he seems much better. Even though my tank has minimal rockwork, catching the fish is going to be a show for sure. I see a lot of water making in my future. If it's ich, I would like to play it out in the tank, if it's velvet, I want to treat.

I'm picking up a tank in a moment.

I've mixed up 60 gallons of saltwater. I'm making another 10 for freshwater dips.

I'm worried about how long I can let the water sit before I use it. I know it's got a pretty long suggested wait. I've throw in 2 mag 4's and a heater.

This is a tough decision:

Do I prematurely use my saltwater in a QT, do I ride it out in my DT and see if anything gets better (which it appears to be doing?)

Would a fish with velvet still eat? The way it hovers in front of the powerhead shows it's trying to get something off it, and it's practically begging my skunks to have at it, leads me to believe I should treat.

Use half pre mature water if it has been mixing for at least 4 hours and half DT water.. Your medicating the water anyway so using DT water won't really matter anyway...or if you wanna be safe and the water has mixed for 4 hours just use that completely.... But I would mix DT and regular water..your taking a seeded sponge from your DT anyway for the QT so I thinkin using the water will be irrelevant.

The dips are more for cleaning out the gills to help the fish breath and most likely won't completely eradicate the parasite anyway.. Lots of ways to skin a cat.. Time to pick which way you are most comfortable with brother.

If you have not added anything to your tank since picking up the fish then it's just ich. If the Chevy and everyone is eating I would not worry about a thing. As much as I hate it, I am pro Paul B approach... I am sure someone can give you better advice on how to get him over the outbreak.

Use half pre mature water if it has been mixing for at least 4 hours and half DT water.. Your medicating the water anyway so using DT water won't really matter anyway...or if you wanna be safe and the water has mixed for 4 hours just use that completely.... But I would mix DT and regular water..your taking a seeded sponge from your DT anyway for the QT so I thinkin using the water will be irrelevant.

The dips are more for cleaning out the gills to help the fish breath and most likely won't completely eradicate the parasite anyway.. Lots of ways to skin a cat.. Time to pick which way you are most comfortable with brother.

I'm just concerned about the PH being the same with the saltwater mix as well, I heard that the mixing time makes a difference

i gotta be honest...looking at those pics I think its ich....

So, I've taken some time to reflect and observe. I'm reacting. If it was something serious, I think this guy would be doing a lot worse than he is. If he's eating, I'm going to feed the snot out of him. Something is obviously wrong, hence his constant wanting to be cleaned, and sitting in front of the powerhead, but maybe it's just ich.

If you have not added anything to your tank since picking up the fish then it's just ich. If the Chevy and everyone is eating I would not worry about a thing. As much as I hate it, I am pro Paul B approach... I am sure someone can give you better advice on how to get him over the outbreak.

The only thing I've added was the blue eyed kole, and the chevy was exhibiting signs before that. I added the mealanarus and the chevy at the same time from ya'. Unless it can travel on frags, I have added some zoas, no new fish additions. EVERYTHING is eating now, including the chevy. The chevy has it's witts about it, it's darting around the tank, eating seaweed, and ate some meaty foods tonight. I firmly believe that the stress of trying to catch him, freshwater dip him, and qt him is going to be worse than letting it ride.

I have copper to treat, I will have water mixed come the AM. If I see him looking rough, then I will pull him, and temporary put him in a Rubbermaid that I have on standby. If tomorrow he's doing the same, I will let it ride, and my go to is going to be a large water change, and mixing 50 more gallons on standby.

Sorry to dominate WAMAS today with posts about my fish sicknesses. Many thanks to everybody that has chimed in, and to all those who offered to help, this truly is an amazing club.

Standby for future updates.

Wish I saw this earlier.  I am in a similar situation with my tank.  Woke up this morning to find one of clowns with ich on it.  None of the other fish have anything on them. All fish are currently eating like crazy.

I haven't added anything new to the tank in 5 months, and all of a sudden it shows up today.   :blink:

Taking the Paul B and Zygote approach.. Lots of good food...

Roggers has garlic and a bunch of vitamins in it. 

Wish I saw this earlier.  I am in a similar situation with my tank.  Woke up this morning to find one of clowns with ich on it.  None of the other fish have anything on them. All fish are currently eating like crazy.

I haven't added anything new to the tank in 5 months, and all of a sudden it shows up today.   :blink:

Taking the Paul B and Zygote approach.. Lots of good food...

Roggers has garlic and a bunch of vitamins in it. 

Must be something in the water. The fish are eating, just like yours. There is seaweed available for greens. The chevy is obviously distressed by something, but like I said, it'll be more trouble than its worth trying to catch it and then treat if it's eating and looking alive. Instead of reacting, I'm going to do the same as you, maybe try some of Kristins mix suggested at the beginning of this thread!

I think for now you should feed and also maybe add an airstone to help with oxygen as far as I know, ich attacks the gills first. Maybe look more into the freshwater bath as well.

Honestly, from your pics, those fish don't look as bad as they did yesterday. It may be getting better!

It's not as bad, but still there. I'm crusing threads with Ich vs velvet, and I think velvet would have taken it down by now if that was the case, either way, want to be prepared. I don't want this thing knocking on deaths door in the AM. Has not left the powerhead, just sitting in front of the JB-40 getting all the flow it can, then swimming down to the 2 cleaners, eating, back again.

I think for now you should feed and also maybe add an airstone to help with oxygen as far as I know, ich attacks the gills first. Maybe look more into the freshwater bath as well.

Yep, doing just that. Feeding. Also, I have two JB-40's and a MP-40, the water is oxygenated, I promise. If I could catch it without stressing for a freshwater bath, I would just QT it and treat with copper.

The difference in ich and velvet are hard to tell.. The nice thing about both though is that copper or CP treatments work for both parasites! Hypo does not!

So an important thing that I learned early on is that we watch our fish ALOT. We know exactly how they behave, how they swim, and their eating habits etc...! With that being said we know exactly when something is wrong with them and a fish naturally does it's best to hide the fact that it's sick and our observations and knowledge of our fish will tell us different. You identified several key factors in your original post that say you are going down a rough road.

I know some people like to ride these things out. I would say that might be a viable option if the fish were only showin sings of parasites and nothing else going on. You have reduced activity, not eating, rapid gill movement/trouble breathing which would be in my book time for treatment.

So one thing we need to remember with this parasite that ich and MV both run on a life cycle. So the chevron might have looked worse yesterday but seems to look better now. Well that's the parasites falling off and starting their life cycle again multiplying!

I agree catching the fish will really suck and be a hard chore and possibly stress the fish out terribly... And with that being said if your doing cupramine I would not do the full strength dose! I would only do 1/4 dose for a day and raise it from there. Reduce that stress slightly. CP is supposed to be a lot safer and less stressful.

As far as PH goes what doesn't affect PH really? It's a pain in the butt... Baking soda is a wonderful thing!

I would continue with treatment. I can't see pics that well cause I'm on my phone.

Just my 2cents.

Edited by Mattiejay6

(edited)

Christ on a crutch Matt.

OK, I've mixed a copper treatment, but I made the mistake of mixing it with methylene blue, hopefully that wont botch my test results? Maybe I should start all over again.

Hindsight: I'm a freaking idiot. Of course it will. I just dyed the water blue. Dumping it, starting over.

Edited by YHSublime

From what I've read (and I've definitely a novice in terms of fish treatment and copper), the available test kits aren't very good. 

For cupramine, dose is 2 ml/10 gallons.  May want to just start with 1/4-1/2 dose and the slowly ramp up.   As along as you make sure to compensate for any water you change, I'm not sure that you need a test kit.