Staring at an uphill battle

YHSublime

I've done 16 drops (2ml) to 10 gallons, and added 12 gallons. I have already dumped the combo with the M. blue, and I'm getting ready to give it a whirl. Wish me luck.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if that was a bit over winded or if overstepped...

Only dose copper in the tank... I would do methalyn blue dips if your set on using it.

No, I'm thankful, you inspired me to get off my but and do something about it. I'd rather be safe than sorry at this stage. The hunt is about to begin.

How big is that QT tank 20 gallons?

I'm using a 15 gallon rubbermaid right now. Will see how it does....

Since the fish is stressed it eases the fish into the treatment... Seachem suggests in their forums to start with half the therapeutic dosage for the first 2 days before going to the full dosage. After reading a lot of success and failure stories on reef central I feel like copper brought to a full therapeutic treatment seems to be better if stretched to 4 or 5 days if you have the ability.that 1/4 dose will allow you to see how this fish will handle the treatment. You might have luck doing 1/2 dose right off the bat each fish is different.. Those freshwater dips or MB dips if you did them will help get the fish hopefully breathing easier to survive the acclimation into the treatment..

Side note: Seachem also agreed in their forum that it is easier on the fish starting with 1/4 dose and raising over a couple days to the therapeutic level.

Edited by Mattiejay6

Hindsight: I'm a freaking idiot. Of course it will. I just dyed the water blue. Dumping it, starting over.

Haha, I can see this wearing on your usual easygoingness --remember to breathe :)

From what I've read (and I've definitely a novice in terms of fish treatment and copper), the available test kits aren't very good. 

For cupramine, dose is 2 ml/10 gallons.  May want to just start with 1/4-1/2 dose and the slowly ramp up.   As along as you make sure to compensate for any water you change, I'm not sure that you need a test kit.  

I have read the same, but I would still test as long as you have the kit. 

Gotcha, thanks for that Matt. Surprisingly, catching it went super easy. I used mostly the water from my tank, and about 5 gallons fresh mixed. I picked up my scrolling monti, and Andrea nabbed it in my net first go. I immediately put him in this temp qt which I've dosed with about 2ml of copper to the 13 gallons that is in there, maybe more. There is a heater, a hob filter, a rock, and a sponge in the HOB.

Will have a hard time wondering if I made the right decision or not, will pick up a bigger rubbermaid tomorrow, but for now, it's breathing, and probably cursing me. Fingers crossed on this one.

DSC_0240_zpse2151ca6.jpg

DSC_0241_zps4cdecb8b.jpg

Haha, I can see this wearing on your usual easygoingness --remember to breathe :)

I have read the same, but I would still test as long as you have the kit. 

Thanks, Jason. Breathing. The hard part is done. Now I need to do my due diligence and keep at it.

Also, Matt, you have really come up to speed quickly! You are giving some solid advice, keep it up brother!

Amen to that, the only reason this fish is in a temporary QT is because of your encouragement. Although I, like others, like to wait it out, your argument was well worded and very striking.

Now that this guy is in a QT and being treated with copper, what are the next steps. I presume I'm testing for ammonia, nitrates, and doing frequent water changes. I have put a lid over the container to make it dark. I don't have the bubbler hooked up, but will the HOB areate the water enough? I will hook up a powerhead pointed up.

Also, Matt, you have really come up to speed quickly! You are giving some solid advice, keep it up brother!

Thanks.. You can only imagine the countless hours of reading and studying I've done on fish disease and treatment.. I found it very intriguing....

Amen to that, the only reason this fish is in a temporary QT is because of your encouragement. Although I, like others, like to wait it out, your argument was well worded and very striking.

Now that this guy is in a QT and being treated with copper, what are the next steps. I presume I'm testing for ammonia, nitrates, and doing frequent water changes. I have put a lid over the container to make it dark. I don't have the bubbler hooked up, but will the HOB areate the water enough? I will hook up a powerhead pointed up.

Keep a log! How many drops of copper, salinity, temp.. You won't be able to test for ammonia with a normal kit.. Copper messes with it. Get an ammonia badge from Quantum and throw it in there to monitor. Watch your ph too as a side tracker in case it goes crazy but don't go bananas over it.

Thank you very much.. :-) I figured I would just lay out the facts.. Try to go as long as possible with no water changes.. Copper is really a pain in the butt to keep at on track once you start water changes.. The drops are specific measurements and seachem has done the studies to know exactly how much copper is in the water with each drop..

Hob plus power head will be plenty.. I would keep the lid half on half off for aeration/ph purpose

Edited by Mattiejay6

Today has been exhausting. I will probably pick up some rogers tomorrow for the qt tank, as it's less liquidy when thawed out. Can I offer seaweed? I suppose so, if the fish can eat food that goes into a copper treated tank, it can surely eat the seaweed. I have a bigger qt coming tomorrow. I imagine I can treat that at a quarter dose and then move up, to help monitor my levels a little bit better. I'll just set it up and match my levels, then do a transfer of the fish again.

Over and out.

I would not do too much frozen.. If you do, feed small quantities.. No over feeding! Don't want to foul the water too quickly..

Set up the bigger QT match current copper level and raise it a-little bit after the fish re adjusts and appears docile.

Your doing great Isaac... Keep up the good work and that log! :-) take notes on fish behavior too! Good thing to look back on when treating other fish! I have a pair a clowns that taught me a lot!

Edited by Mattiejay6

EIther way you go I think Selcon is a good supplement to soak food.

+1

We soak our food in selcon every time we feed, and we feed a lot :)

Also if your going to treat and go fallow for ich, you will now have to qt all corals or anything going into the tank in order not to bring in more ich. It can survive on things other than fish. Another reason I like the Paul B approach.

For me it's too much work for something that wont kill my fish, and the fish will overcome it to the point where you never see it anyways.

As of 7am this morning, the fish is still alive, breathing, and swimming. I will attempt to feed this afternoon. Will also be setting up a bigger QT, and will decide what I am going to do with the other fish. Will pick up some selcon, for feeding the DT soaked in as well.

+1

We soak our food in selcon every time we feed, and we feed a lot :)

Also if your going to treat and go fallow for ich, you will now have to qt all corals or anything going into the tank in order not to bring in more ich. It can survive on things other than fish. Another reason I like the Paul B approach.

For me it's too much work for something that wont kill my fish, and the fish will overcome it to the point where you never see it anyways.

I dont really agree with this statement... i agree in the fact that ich can encyst on rocks, substrate etc... how ever once the parasite re hatches and has no fish to host on it will die off eventually ridding the tank of ich... so pull all fish from the tank for atleast 8 weeks to allow for this process to naturallty occur.. but coral and inverts are safe and ich cannot host them...

he was saying that coral from outside the tank (frags, etc...) could have Ich on them and would have to be allowed to go fallow for the same amount of time before adding to the tank. This way they would not be bringing new Ich into the tank (from the fish presumably kept in the tank from which the new frag came). 

QT tanks are extremely prone to ammonia spikes. I don't know if copper does but a lot of meds kill the bacteria that eat the nasties. Also sick and stressed fish don't eat all the food causing rapid ammonia accumulation. I worked a 48 hour shift and came home to a couple of dead fish.I Pre measured food for wife to feed them. 0 ammonia before I left. Came back to it reading 3. If you see any ammonia (I would check twice daily) do aggressive water change.

QT tanks are extremely prone to ammonia spikes. I don't know if copper does but a lot of meds kill the bacteria that eat the nasties. Also sick and stressed fish don't eat all the food causing rapid ammonia accumulation. I worked a 48 hour shift and came home to a couple of dead fish.I Pre measured food for wife to feed them. 0 ammonia before I left. Came back to it reading 3. If you see any ammonia (I would check twice daily) do aggressive water change.

Thanks for the experience. I am getting ready to prepare for massive water changes. Life is not going to be fun for 8 weeks. 

I plan on running 2 qt tanks. Both 55 gallons. They will hold all my fish. I think I might get rid of my chromis, as I don't need the stress of them on my bioload. There have been 4 together for a while. I will have my lemon, blond, and powder blue here in the next few weeks, and will qt them with the rest of the fish. And then I'm done, no more fish. I want to risk it, I want to just throw them all in there together, but I know with the tangs, especially the powder blue and the hippo, there's a slim chance I'll get through without ick presenting itself. So get ready for my journey.

Came home, fed the Chevy right now. Eating healthy, breathing is slowed down considerably, Looks healthier. Will figure out my position and go from here.