Staring at an uphill battle

YHSublime

Yesterday afternoon, I noticed what appeared to be a "coat" on my Chevron tang. It appeared to me like ich, but I'm not 100% sure. This morning, I found him swimming around, but did not eat when I fed, this is unusual, as his appetite has been ferocious up until now. I added seaweed, and he didn't touch it, and he's usually the first. He spent quite a bit of time in front of the powerheads, and getting cleaned by the skunks. His breathing is heavy, and I was very concerned walking out the door this AM.

My fiance is at home right now, and said he looks like he doesn't have much energy, and is swimming, but hovering in one place. From pictures, the only other thing I can identify it as instead of Ich would be brooklynella, which I think is a little more fast acting that this. If it is ich, from my understanding it's usually best to let it be instead of stressing the fish out further, all fish in the system have been happily living in other members tanks, or QT'd. The hippo also looks like it is showing signs, but active, eating, and swimming.

I know this is hard, as I don't have a picture, but I can't treat for something that I can't identify.

The best way to put it, is it looks like the fish is collecting a coat of microbubbles, and then what appears to look like ich. Upon reading a bit more, it looks like maybe this is marine velvet? I'll see if my fiance can snap a pic.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the joke came from an established tank. Chev. Was exhibiting signs before the addition, as was the hippo. Pic on the way.

no offense.... but just because it came from an established tank doesn't mean it was healthy to go into your tank...it endured some stress in the transition you know? If all your fish were fine leading up to and that is the only change/ addition into the tank lately is seems logical it is the dot to connect...

but I have to be honest...I have been MIA the last few days so haven't been reading wamas much....so if you have been having issues prior etc...I am probably way off base...Im just jumping in...sorry!

Sorry, kole, not joke. The chevron is now hiding and this is the best she can do, probably not helpful.

Posted Image

If you plan to treat your gonna have to pull all the fish and put them in QT. I have chloroquine phosphate if you need it. Some pretty awesome stuff. I can't tell anything from the photo :-/

Chlorquine phosphate works on ich and marine velvet... Read up on it some. If you have a chance it's a 10 to 14 day treatment but you would need to let that tank go fowlr for 8 weeks or so u less you treat the whole thing.

CP will kill inverts, algae but not harm filtration bacteria. It's light sensitive so you have to run extremely reduced lighting other wise you risk reducing the drug strength. All food for thought

I treated my tangs with food saturated in fresh garlic and aloe. I just blended 2 garlic cloves with ro water added mysis, brine, clam, squid, and aloe. Blended that together for another 30 seconds and then allowed it to sit for 20 minutes. i feed them this for 3 days and after the 1st day I saw a noticeable difference and after the 3rd day they had no more ich!

I now feed them this "medicine" once every week. Try it out it, it may work for you......

Good luck

I think marine velvet is a little more harsh then ich and requires quicker action of medicine cause it really affects the fishes ability to "breathe" and that's where it wipes out a lot of fish.

I think marine velvet is a little more harsh then ich and requires quicker action of medicine cause it really affects the fishes ability to "breathe" and that's where it wipes out a lot of fish.

But we don't know if he has it..... Photo doesn't give details of illness..... 

I mean if the tang does eventually eat, might as well make sure the food has some vitamins and or antioxidants in it to help it out.  

Oh I agree completely about the vitamin enriched food... I just think that given what he has described I would start a course of treatment sooner rather than later. If the fish is already having difficulty breathing, stopped eating he is gonna have a hard road. But certain meds might give him a good fighting chance and clear up his breathing some.

Edited by Mattiejay6

I agree. MV can wipe them out in two days if left untreated. If you think it might be MV I would pull all the fish, give them a fresh water bath, and then treat with copper in a QT. Let the DT go fallow for 8 or more weeks. Doing the garlic foods can't hurt and some say it helps stimulate appetite so if you can give it a try. Keep the O2 levels high since the gills may be damaged. I leave the skimmer running but remove the skimmer cup during treatment so the water coverflows back into the sump.

Oh I agree completely about the vitamin enriched food... I just think that given what he has described I would start a course of treatment sooner rather than later. If the fish is already having difficulty breathing, stopped eating he is gonna have a hard road. But certain meds might give him a good fighting chance and clear up his breathing some.

I completely agree with this...enriched food is great but isn't going to stop this disease if that is what it is....or even if it is severe ich its going to need more than a healthy lunch...

Sorry to hear about this Isaac. I know you've poured a lot of your heart and soul into this tank. I'm pulling for you! I have a spare 29G tank if you want. Just let me know.

I completely agree with this...enriched food is great but isn't going to stop this disease if that is what it is....or even if it is severe ich its going to need more than a healthy lunch...

So grandma's chicken soup doesn't cure a cold?

Agree with Coralhind.  If it's velvet it goes fast.  That being said, if it's velvet, unless you treat very early, there's usually not much you can do.  I think regardless of what it is, may be time to catch the fish if you can and treat with freshwater dip (which should help either way) and then with cupramine.  If you can't catch the fish or don't have qt setup, then all you can do is feed heavily, oxygenate well, and run uv if you've got it.  

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  I had a rough go recently as well and don't add any fish directly to the tank anymore.  

I've got an extra 40 breeder if you need it, though I'm guessing there is someone closer to you then me.