And then the ich came down with a fury....

dgasmd

As some of you know, my new tank has been set up and running for 2 weeks now. The 2 weeks the corals and fish stayed in the tub lit by NO bulbs was extremely hard on them. All the corals turned poo poo brown. Now under the 20K 400 watss they are coloring up again and some gaining new colors. The tangs were so stressed out that noew they are coming down with and angry evil form of ich. The tank is so large I can't get them out!! The other point I understimated big time is that with my previous sand bed the nitrates were 0 at all times. Since I switched to the new tank with a new sand bed the nitrates have come up to like 15 PPM. To add more insult, the pump I had ordered for a close loop came in wrong, so I had to send it back and I am still waiting for the new one. It will be another week at least! My poor powder blue, naso, and hippo are so full of ich they looked like I coated them with south down sand!! :angry:   :(  :angry:

I just hope they make it through this. If they don't, it will be a few months before I replace these guys. This is pretty upsetting because I had great luck with this powder blue. So much personality and so much health. He has also grown in the few months I had him.

I am still devating whether I will set up a refugium or not. I did buy a 100 gal rubbermaid tub for it, but may end up using it for extra volume only and to do water changes from it. We'll see.

Sorry about the post, but I ahd to vent some anger somehow!!

Guest tgallo
im sorry to hear that.i my self feel bad when i buy a good looking fish and all the sudden it gets sick and dies. i no what you mean about trying to find a dead fish in a big tank, its next to imposable withouy taking half of the rock out, it bugs me because you know that fish is rotting and adding to the nitrates in your system. anyway look on the brite side you have a awsome tank to stock , one of your dreams came true to get a large system up and running. next is the hard part, waiting for it to mature. i would like to come by and see it one weekend im in silver spring by dc. if your ever free one weekend let me  know. best wishes tony gallo. :)