Flatworm?

flooddc

Looks like some kind of flatworm.  Hard to say what kind.  The fact you found it under rubble rock instead of dying acros provides some hope it's not AEFW.

Chuck, noooo!!! Dip your sps and see if any fall off. I have Bayer if you need some.

My sps visually looks fine! I have seachem coral dip. Will try to dip a few. Thanks

Bad worm!! When I get down to a computer I will send you the link of which one it is... I'm sure Jenn will chime in soon... She will tell ya bad guy too

Edited by Mattiejay6

I have 2 of those flatworms in my tank. They get as big as a half dollar and I'm sure they eat things but I rarely see them, so why worry about them?

They don't eat coral and if they eat crabs, so what?

I have a few of them too. They have been on the glass eating algae and the LR too. Have not touched my corals in a bad way. Found one within some palys but nothing happened as that paly is still doing well. My flatworms look exactly like yours.

Bad worm!! When I get down to a computer I will send you the link of which one it is... I'm sure Jenn will chime in soon... She will tell ya bad guy too

from what I searched, not too bad...but let me have your link! 

I have 2 of those flatworms in my tank. They get as big as a half dollar and I'm sure they eat things but I rarely see them, so why worry about them?

They don't eat coral and if they eat crabs, so what?

Hmm! free clean up crew.   

I have a few of them too. They have been on the glass eating algae and the LR too. Have not touched my corals in a bad way. Found one within some palys but nothing happened as that paly is still doing well. My flatworms look exactly like yours.

Yeah! it was probable a hitchhiker from a LPS I bought and did not dip prior to putting in the tank :ohmy:! As long as did touch my sps, I am fine with it. 

It's a polyclad flatworm. They eat clams and snails.

yup! that's what I foubd from google search.

Personally i would remove.i assume you have crabs and if you don't now you may want a clam so why not nip it in the bud before they reproduce.give it to rob so he had 3 now lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I had them in my 210 and had no problems with crabs getting eaten. Maybe some smaller snails had misterious deaths which could have been the fw but I stick to Mexican turbos now and they never touched them. Definatly wouldn't worry about corals.

Personally i would remove.i assume you have crabs and if you don't now you may want a clam so why not nip it in the bud before they reproduce.give it to rob so he had 3 now lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

It's in the small container since yesterday.  I feed it tiny pieces of shrimp. Still alive and pretty cool to watch. If I have a nano, I would keep this cool specimen. 

-Rob! yours if you want it.

pure coincidence at best.

Yes, yes, your experience is always gospel, everyone else's coincidence.  Thanks for the response.

Yes, yes, your experience is always gospel, everyone else's coincidence.  Thanks for the response.

no need to get snippy.

anecdotal evidence reigns supreme around here and everyones first concern is that something is bad. There are numerous types of Polyclad flatworms and unless you see that particular flatworm hunt and eat a snail, then it's really hard to just lump it in with the rest and perhaps needlessly kill an animal because of lack of research.

An argument can also be made that since there are many other things in the average reeftank that consume snails, it stands to reason that it's yet another coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I have now lost a pulsing Xenia and a large frag of Kenya tree. The. Snow was thriving and the base was really thick (got as a frag) like 3-4". I pulled the Xenia and one of these flatworms was within the base probably feasting. I didn't see any on the Kenya but the stalk was turning black. I removed 2 clarkii clowns to my qt berore they start bullying all my other fish a week before so the sand did get a little stirred. My parameters are all inline.