Change...

GraffitiSpotCorals

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about this...  We now live in the "everybody gets a trophy" age.  Everyone is so soft and offended by everything. As much right as they have to CONSTANTLY post, well we have as much right to not like it and be annoyed (however slanderous posts are not ok). Im sorry if you don't like constructive comments, tough advice, or the truth. You find it annoying that people are not "giving you your trophy", tough, get over it. I don't like the gaziilion random posts polluting the boards, but I deal with it. People give Rob (Zygote) a hard time, he's mean, he's a bully blah blah blah... Well, That guy has helped me more than anyone else on here by far. I know he has done a lot to help many others too.. Sure, its tough love when dealing with him, he doesn't sugar coat, and he certainly isn't handing out trophys for last place either. But in the end, guys like him will help you out, and will be HONEST. This is an online forum, I don't care if you do or don't like me, im going to sleep just fine either way.

Giving honest feedback and being respectful in our responses are not mutually exclusive.  I don't think this issue is about being easily offended or everyone getting trophies.  There is a middle ground.  On a forum that's supposed to be fun and enjoyed by everyone (although some people act as though they own the place), there really is no need to be disrespectful, belittling, or sometimes even just downright mean and rude.  I think this discussion is coming up because enough people felt compassion for certain individuals who were targeted and felt the need to speak up on their behalf.  Is it really that bad to feel bad for someone getting picked on?  Clearly there are people on the other side of the fence and probably won't agree, but with the number of people on this forum, that's bound to happen.  We just have different philosophies on life and how we should treat each other.

On a more practical note, if you find it annoying, just don't click on the thread.

R U KIDDING ME?  I care, please start a thread on this.!!!!

Ha! Honestly, my best guess is that he was snacking on a little (or alot of) cyano. There is a slight pink tinge to a few areas of the sandbed and the tank is only 3 months old. The ceriths have been burrowing under. So, yes, ceriths eat cyano. It was bright purple so who knows... There's also reef saver rock in the tank - maybe he's eating the dye. :)

I am not surprised this thread turned into what it is. In no way did I want to talk about the newbie stuff. But everyone else did so thsts cool.

Responding to current events, I guess. After all, you did say (in the first post), "Thanks for letting me vent, if you feel the need to vent about something, post it." So I vented on a topic that was bugging me which basically boils down to "respect others." In church on Sunday, during Children's Time, the pastor went over a list of classroom rules and asked the kids if they could sum up all of the rules in just one rule. There were several answers, but one kid (probably 7 or 8 years old) came up with this one: "Respect others and yourself." Out of the mouths of babes....

There has been a change in the atmosphere on WAMAS from when I left the sw hobby 5 years ago. But is this any different than WAMAS 5 years prior to that?  People come and go, personalities change, so does the atmosphere of WAMAS.  We just have to be reminded occasionally of the WAMAS mission statement  "To exchange information with one another, thus sharing our collective knowledge on successful husbandry of the animals in our care and promoting education....."

I can give my opinion on that - yep, it's way different than it was 5 years ago.......way different than it was 10years ago.......some changes are better ,some are worse & some are just different. Pretty much the same as any organization.

Overall I'd rate them as significantly better. I don't know any other way to show it than describe my 1st meeting, at the old church (IIRC) in Vienna. This is where we ALWAYS had meetings. I walked in - nobody at the door, folks just milled around (maybe 20) and you had small groups that knew each other talking. There was a refractometer/hydrometer testing...........this happened while everyone milled and talked - if one didn't see it you never knew it happened. I had setup a few frag purchases (the old BBS).........how would I know who the H-E-double hockey sticks I was supposed to meet unless I went around to every single person & asked.

I went home & told my wife I doubt I'd ever go back, waste of time, disorganized mess. This was in the early days & it was growing fast, it was just beyond meeting in someone's basement. So yeah, they've come a LONG way. I guess some have NO idea how much they owe to some of our fearless leaders.

For the record, typing a post and then cancelling is a good thing...a lot of times these posts are driven by emotion OR are just redundant saying the same thing others have said. Sometimes its good to hammer out that response and then say...am I providing any value with this post? Will it be helpful? Or am i just adding noise...so overall i would say it's good that people are second guessing hitting that submit button...it's what makes this board different than MR and RC...

Well self editing can be a good thing..............as is often said "think before you post" (I try but at times fail :laugh: )

Giving honest feedback and being respectful in our responses are not mutually exclusive.  I don't think this issue is about being easily offended or everyone getting trophies.  There is a middle ground.  On a forum that's supposed to be fun and enjoyed by everyone (although some people act as though they own the place), there really is no need to be disrespectful, belittling, or sometimes even just downright mean and rude.  I think this discussion is coming up because enough people felt compassion for certain individuals who were targeted and felt the need to speak up on their behalf.  Is it really that bad to feel bad for someone getting picked on?  Clearly there are people on the other side of the fence and probably won't agree, but with the number of people on this forum, that's bound to happen.  We just have different philosophies on life and how we should treat each other.

While that's real nice in theory and it is a good goal.................but way to much discussion & information gets lost when the pendulum swings too far into the "kum-by-ya" realm. There are quite a few people who can't even begin to deal with any form of direct speech. The hot house flowers drag the entire forum down to rubbish. At times discussions get a bit heated - this is just the nature of a good exchange. Now I'm not talking about insulting or calling names, just direct information. Reminds me of a member (former?) who was a mod............what an @ss, couldn't have any type of discussion w/o this yuck a puck dropping a hammer with his "authority". Much better since they've been gone (really I'd say good riddance to bad rubbish). Overall I'd say folks here do a good job with a tough assignment.

And yes this fits into the edit of "don't say anything you wouldn't want your family to see" :cool:

Edited by ErikS

So I guess my rainbow star idea is out then???

You can use whatever avatar you wish to use so long as it is family friendly and in good taste. :laugh: