Some questions regarding my 10g AGA build - nano reef

nova423

I am currently building my 10 g AGA nano reef.  I have a few questions.

I am not new to fishkeeping, made 10 freshwater tanks, 1 FO SW tank, and 1 FOWLR SW tank, both 20 gallons and a lot of success.  This is my first SW tank in about ten years however, I see a LOT has changed, and I have some questions.  

Here is my proposed build:

Tank

1. 10 g AGA, some off brand purchased at LFS.  It holds water though.

Filtration/Heater

1. AC 70 to be used as HOB fuge
  2. InTank AC 70 insert, will have chaeto, chemipure elite, and walmart poly fill as media.
  3. 10 watt submersible light from InTank as light for chaeto.  Plan to run at night as opposite of main lighting.
  4. Hydor 50 Theo placed in AC 70

Lighting

1. Orphek PR-25UV Dimmable 6 Blue/4 White/2 UV LED Pendant
  2. Ikea Lustera lamp modded to fit the tank
  3. light hooked up to a timer or coralife strip?  Not sure about that yet.

Water

1. RO/DI water purchased from local grocery.  No room for RO/DI unit at the moment.
  2. Whatever salt package is on sale at LFS

Bio filtration in display tank

1. 7 to 8 lbs. of fiji live rock from LFS
  2. 5 lbs. ive sand from LFS

Livestock

1. Turbo snail clean up squad (5 maybe?) put in after cycling
  2. 1 clownfish a month later
  3. Some shrimp?
  4. Coral down the line?  What kind can I do with this lighting?  Plan to put in a powerhead prior to this, any suggestions?

I plan to do water changes every other day using the 16 oz cup method, and top off as needed with RO/DI.  Might put in a DIY ATO if needed.

My questions are:

• Do I need to have a powerhead from the get go?
  • Do I have to have less flow with my AC 70 fuge?
  • What kind of coral could I have with my lighting set up?
  • Is there anything I missed?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

I think the AC70 should be enough flow for right now. After you have the tank running and rock scape added you can see if you need more flow. 

I don't think the flow in the AC70 is too much.

I've never had that light but maybe someone else here has. From the info I found online it should be fine for most corals since the tank is so shallow. If you think they need more light you can increase the photoperiod some.

I would not recommend the Coralife timer strip. There have been too many fires caused from that thing for me to ever think about recommending it.

I think the AC70 should be enough flow for right now. After you have the tank running and rock scape added you can see if you need more flow. 

I don't think the flow in the AC70 is too much.

I've never had that light but maybe someone else here has. From the info I found online it should be fine for most corals since the tank is so shallow. If you think they need more light you can increase the photoperiod some.

I would not recommend the Coralife timer strip. There have been too many fires caused from that thing for me to ever think about recommending it.

I had read about that regarding the coralife timer strip, I want to get some kind of timing system though.  I might just get some home depot timers and work with that until I have enough saved up to get a controller.

Thanks for your advice. 

Not sure how much the grocery charges for ro/di, but food lion sells distilled for 87 cents a gallon.  Distilled is just as good or better than RO/DI.

The last Bloom/Food Lion close to me closed last year.  I plan to shop around.  I would love to have my own filtration  unit, just no room in my condo right now, and my lady would be mad if she found out i was spending another $100-$200 on this!

I had read about that regarding the coralife timer strip, I want to get some kind of timing system though.  I might just get some home depot timers and work with that until I have enough saved up to get a controller.

Thanks for your advice.

Yeah just get a dual plug hd timer...the corallife ones are junk....

And I'm not quite sure about that light, but with most lights you can easily have some softies, mushrooms and the sort and depending on how many watts the light is some LPS...like euphyllias and acans, and other hardy ones....

Yeah just get a dual plug hd timer...the corallife ones are junk....

And I'm not quite sure about that light, but with most lights you can easily have some softies, mushrooms and the sort and depending on how many watts the light is some LPS...like euphyllias and acans, and other hardy ones....

I chose the Orpek b/c I can hook it up to a cheap ikea fixture i can fit to my setup easily and use a standard light dimmer in case it is too bright for coral to prevent bleaching.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...