What is this stuff and what eats it?

sen5241b

(edited)

That sure looks like cheato to me....

It does. I did have some cheato float out of the fuge but I thought cheato could not take root that way on rocks. What eats lots of cheato?

Edited by sen5241b

If it is rooting to the rocks it is bryopsis.   

Take that rock out now.  Drive it to a place far away and set it on fire.  

Nothing eats it.   It will grow with zero phosphates and nitrates detectable. It is almost impossible to control once it takes root in your tank.     

I am on the edge of loosing my tank to that for a second time from this stuff.  Trust me, absolutely nothing eats it or kills it.

high Mg levels will kill bryopsis if sustained for a period of time. 1900ppm will work but you will lose snails, starfish, hermit crabs. keeping the Mg at 1500 after that will keep it from growing back.

Rob is right....

High mag is known to kill bryopsis, but the stuff I have survived a run up to 1900 using Tech M.   

I killed massive amounts of coral and most of my inverts in the process.   As soon as I dropped the levels back down it came back violently.     I did a complete tank breakdown with new rock and then it came back again from the bases of the corals I managed to save.   

Keep in mind the entire time I had near-zero phosphates and nitrates.

Here is what does not work...

Lettuce Nudibranchs

Concentrated hydrogen peroxide

High-pressure steam

I have probably spent more than $3,000 battling this stuff for over 2 years (GFO, Tech M, new rock, new coral, etc).   

Right now you have a problem with a $10 rock.    You may want to consider losing the rock.

Every weekend I pull out some rocks and hit them with high-concentration hydrogen peroxide ( which does knock it back for a couple weeks).   I also have to pull out my MP40s and soak them in bleach at least once a month along with high-concentration muriatic acid.    Then I scrape the spots on the overflows and the silicone where the holdfasts have become imbedded.   It grows back on those spots every two weeks.   Occasionally I drain the tank down partially and hit the exposed areas with high-pressure steam.    That knocks it back for about a month in those areas but it does not kill the holdfasts.

How much do you love that rock?   

I really expected the TechM treatment to work as well.   I hope nobody gets resistant strain I picked up.   

I just learned a really hard lesson that with every plague there is a precious fleeting moment when you can just toss a rock and get rid of it.   If only I could turn back time.  

Whenever I got it, I just boosted the water with Tech-M and it went away. Remove the rock. If it starts to pop up in other rocks I would just get some tech-m

(edited)

Unfortuantely, this stuff is on many rocks in my tank. Urchins? There is always something that eats something.

Edited by sen5241b

Its not that bad at this point.  I am going to try manual removal and tech M.  Later after I lower the mag, I may put a ton or emeralds in there. If they eat red turf algae then they will eat this stuff.

I've had it in my tank before and it never got out of control or hurt anything. I just manually removed it when it got too big. There are things that might eat it but they are too big for a 20g tank.

(edited)

I've had it in my tank before and it never got out of control or hurt anything. I just manually removed it when it got too big. There are things that might eat it but they are too big for a 20g tank.

Apparently something in my 20G long DOES eat it!  Here is the same rock as of a few minutes ago.

algae2b.jpg

Edited by sen5241b

(edited)

There are god knows how many species of algae and maybe I got some variant of Bryopsis that's not so tough. Its easy to get two species that look similar  mixed up. I had this or something similar in my BC29 years ago and it just went away. Maybe it got eaten or just withered away.

Edited by sen5241b

It might be Cladophoropsis which some tangs and algae eaters do eat.

Good call. I just looked at pics of that and it does look more like clado. My CUC: one really big mexican turbo, red and blue legged hermits, emeralds, ceriths and one other big snail -species unknown.