Will An Ozone Generator to Rid My Apt of the Smell of Smoke Harm My Fish Tank?

meagle

My apartment recently suffered smoke damage from an electrical fire in the unit below mine. The cleaning company has suggested ozoning the entire apartment after they clean the individual items permeated with the smell.

I am wondering if the ozone generator will harm my fish tank (28g reef tank with two clowns) if it is in the living room with the generator while it is running. I have read mixed messages online and am not sure who to believe.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Being that people put Ozone directly into tanks, it's not terrible. It depends on how much of course. I would ask exactly how much ozone they are planning on using a day and go from there.

if its a small plug in one youll have to move it from room to room and it wont do anything to the tank...if its a large whole house one your running, cover the tank with plastic and turn off your skimmer and any reactors...and you know you nor any pets can be in the house for the 4-8 hrs you have it on....

Being that people put Ozone directly into tanks, it's not terrible. It depends on how much of course. I would ask exactly how much ozone they are planning on using a day and go from there.

Good advice. I will ask. Thanks for your reply.

if its a small plug in one youll have to move it from room to room and it wont do anything to the tank...if its a large whole house one your running, cover the tank with plastic and turn off your skimmer and any reactors...and you know you nor any pets can be in the house for the 4-8 hrs you have it on....

Also good advice. I will cover the tank to be on the safe side and be sure to clear out of here for the day while it happens.