?? How Does Everyone Wash Their Hands Before ??

:huh: I'm kinda' Curious, because me and my friend were having a Discussion, and We Were talking about whether or not it was good to use Soap or HandSanitizer.... I say that The Soap leaves a small thin Residue that can alter the Chemistry of a Nano Tank, but will most likely not have Any effect on the size of a 30+....
So I'm wondering what your methods are... and possible Idea's and thoughts upon this... :huh:

I used to... but not so good anymore. Unless I know that I've handled something that I don't want in the tank, they pretty much just go in these days.

Equally important, if not more so, is to wash your hands afterwards (or at least rinse them well) to guard against infection by mycobacterium marinum.

i rinse them very well with water before I go in everytime....but no soaps or anything that can be a residue....afterwards I use antibacterial soap....

i rinse them very well with water before I go in everytime....but no soaps or anything that can be a residue....afterwards I use antibacterial soap....

And sometimes she'll even use Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. (Sorry, Jenn. I couldn't resist.)

+1 (but only rinse my hands off before hand most of the time)

I only rinse them off, no soap, before working in the tank. Washing afterwards is really important if you handled any corals which might have toxins in them like palys. 

I wash mine with soap because at work I get grinded copper, steel, flux paste and this week it was OIL covering my hands. I worry about gettin in the tank sometimes. Now is the time where I won't touch the water because I know the oil will stay on my hands for a while.

But I come home everyday with copper and flux on my hands, wash them and dive in. I Know I have reached in with dirty hands many times too. Probly not safe but oh well...

I do not wear gloves at work so when I say it's on my hands, it's ON my hands.

I wash my hands with soap before I go in. I also don't use gloves. I also wash afterwards. I haven't seen any ill effects yet.

Unlike Paul, I like to rinse my hands in the tank after dinner ;)

Many OCD here. Wash hands before and after. Use gloves when going in the tank. I don't want to introduce anything into my tank or get anything from it!

Many OCD here. Wash hands before and after. Use gloves when going in the tank. I don't want to introduce anything into my tank or get anything from it!

You're probably the smartest of all of us lol....you must look like a surgeon scrubbing in and gloving up lol

Does anyone see skimmer weirdness after putting their greasy hands in the tank?

I know Paul B doesn't. If he doesnt see rainbows on top of the water after feeding he adds more fish oil to his worms.

I know Paul B doesn't. If he doesnt see rainbows on top of the water after feeding he adds more fish oil to his worms.

Now you got it :rolleyes:

On my day to day maintenance routine, I only shower in the morning and have hands in 5+ tanks. If I handle palythoas, I thoroughly rinse my hands in tank water till the slime is gone. I usually wash my hands in the evening when I get home.

So... It sounds like many do the same. I personally wash mine before under the water. NoSoap. Then. Once wet and "Clean", I wash again under the water with hand sanatizer. Then. After just soap and water.

The 4o gallon freshwater is another story . ;-)

(edited)

Um Rob what about restroom breaks? ;)

Restroom breaks?? Now you know his secret, as to how he always keeps the tanks topped off.;-) Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703

I used to do this when I started out. Now, I'm more like Rob. Consider for a moment all the other stuff that our tank is exposed to. It's certainly not a sterile environment. There are airborne bacteria, dust (skin cells, debris, pet dander and, if you have a cat, more than enough of their dried saliva. There's mite dung. The list goes on and on.) Putting relatively clean hands in the tank is pretty innocuous. Now, obviously if you've been out working on the car or spraying insecticide in the yard, you may want to wash up beforehand....

Oils from your skin pretty much shut the skimmer down for a little while while the oils break up and get taken up. The same thing often happens after feeding some foods. You'll notice that the foam in that you're used to seeing pretty much is gone as the bubbles break much faster.

I used to do this when I started out. Now, I'm more like Rob. Consider for a moment all the other stuff that our tank is exposed to. It's certainly not a sterile environment. There are airborne bacteria, dust (skin cells, debris, pet dander and, if you have a cat, more than enough of their dried saliva. There's mite dung. The list goes on and on.) Putting relatively clean hands in the tank is pretty innocuous. Now, obviously if you've been out working on the car or spraying insecticide in the yard, you may want to wash up .

Very valid point and couldn.t have put it better myself.

Since I don't wear perfume or lotions I usually only rinse my hands before putting them in the tank unless I was working with my garden herbs...fish don't seem to like parsley or oregano in their water....

So for those times I used liquid antibacterial soft soap...in a clownfish hand pump dispenser... Very important for the fish room,lol

Since I don't wear perfume or lotions I usually only rinse my hands before putting them in the tank unless I was working with my garden herbs...fish don't seem to like parsley or oregano in their water....

So for those times I used liquid antibacterial soft soap...in a clownfish hand pump dispenser... Very important for the fish room,lol

It is all about the details