DIY Stand for my 60 Gal rimless cube

rtsusc83

I have had my 60 gal rimless cube running since January 2013 which is currently on a Deep Blue stand.  For the last 3 months, I have reading up on how to build my own stand using resources here and at RC.  After reading the DIY section, I was inspired by some folks who have very little experience building things and so I decided to go for it!  

Tools I used:

Hitachi Mitre saw to cut the 2X4s and 2X6s

Kreg Jig HD kit and nails to fasten the posts

Gorilla glue

Dimensions:  48X25X28.5  

The frame build-up took about 3.5 hours (cutting, glueing and fastening).  Since the stand is bigger than the tank, I installed rails and posts to support the cube  The hardest part was putting the 2X6's together.  I tried to look for the straightest boards but I guess they werent straight enough.  Looking back, I could have gone all 2X4s but I want to create a floor that can collect water from leaks.  The next step is to sand and prime the frame inside and out; seal the floor edges; and install the floor board.

I have enjoyed being a member of WAMAS reading, absorbing the knowledge and of course, buying gear and frags!  You all have been helpful!  See my pics and appreciate any comments or suggestions before I move forward (I hope the links work).  Thanks in advance!

IMG_0640_zps773929c2.jpg

IMG_0639_zps0486010b.jpg

IMG_0638_zps0a7d6af1.jpg

IMG_0637_zpsb15afa8b.jpg

IMG_0634_zps77d195d8.jpg

IMG_0633_zps3c5c2b45.jpg

IMG_0571_zps0670fba2.jpg

(edited)

The biggest thing I would say is make sure you have enough room inside your stand.. With the way the posts are facing on the inside you loose a good bit of room for a wide/long sump.. I found that the hard way..

Edited by Mattiejay6

Thanks Coral HInd!  I was trying to do that last night but could not get it to work (read Origami's thread on posting images).  MattieJay06, I did ensure that my sump will fit in going through front.  It is a custom made sump that will be made by Adam.

Thanks Coral HInd!  I was trying to do that last night but could not get it to work (read Origami's thread on posting images).  MattieJay06, I did ensure that my sump will fit in going through front.  It is a custom made sump that will be made by Adam.

Sorry. I need to update that post as it was for the last version of forum software!

Good Lord. That stand is built like a tank. Or rather, it will probably easily hold up a tank! - The Sherman kind.

Origami,

I know!  I wouldnt know how to build it any other way coz it is the only way from what I have been reading.  As a government employee on furlough starting next week, I may have time to finish this up in no time! LoL!

Update:  made some progress... Painted the internal with Kilz primer and have installed the top and back using 1/2" birch plywood.  Now the harder part is skinning the front and sides.  My plan is have removal sides using magnets or clips.  I have not decided if I want the front door removable or hinged.  I like the idea of being able to access from side or front.  I would like to get advice or recommendations on how to hide the corners where the plywood is exposed.  I know I can use molding but looking to see if there are any other methods.  If I use moldings how do this where the corner comes together at the top.  Appreciate all the help!

Molding is the only way I know how really.. Lots of molding options.. You can use quarter rounded molding if your angles long up right.. Or you can do what I did if you look at my stand. I used 90' molding to cover up my corners. And I had it meet the base molding and crown molding.

Well at least you know when its time for and upgrade to a 48x24 tank your stand is already done. Good job

Well at least you know when its time for and upgrade to a 48x24 tank your stand is already done. Good job

That was the plan.  Dont tell my better half though!

(edited)

I have started to skin my stand and was wondering how many coats of paint and polyurethane should be applied.  The finish will be flat white.  I also understand that I must sand in b/w coats.  Is it just light sanding?  Appreciate any help!

Edited by rtsusc83