Interested in Apex/RK controlled d120's?

AlanM

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping to have some news about this kit soon. Will keep everyone posted :)

Btw, the first kit they sent me worked but it had issues. I am finally getting some new ones that should work better I hope. Hopefully will have better news to report soon...

I will be attempting this tomorrow. Wish me luck. I'm going to try it first with no led lights it drivers on just to make sure that the voltage is dropped down to 5 volts and it is varying the alc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I hooked it up. Just not to the drivers yet. I measured the voltage in a ramp up of two min and it works perfect. Next I will be hooking up the drivers. Just have to find some more time. I have a 3yrold and a 1 yr old.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I hooked it up just now. The house was engulfed in flames. Waiting for the fire department to put out the fire. Lol. J/k. It seems to be working correctly. I set alc to the right times ramp and intensity. So we will see if it works Tonight.

Nice, thanks for following up!  This will be interesting to see PWM directly controlling these lights while run through a convertor board driven from an RLC.  Lots of steps, but it gets the job done.

On another front, I finally got my new dimming conversion kit from ReefRadiance. I will be writing up a full review shortly, but i had to come here and report success!!! The new kit comes with a female and male connector port and plugs write into the stock dimmer and the driver plugs right into it. The cable is wired to the cat-5 jack which installs very easily after drilling one hole for the jack and two for screws. Other than that, it maintains stock functionality without a controller hooked up and the dimmer knobs still work. I have full range of dimming from 5-100% which is exactly what I had when using Alan's original hack.

I think that I just got the settings right with the ramp times. It does work well. The only thing that I miss is the ability to just turn the knobs. Just thinking if I had to turn the lights on when there off I am gonna have to go in and change the ramp time and ect. But after I get the lights on the proper dimming schedule it should be fine. They just came out with a new modal that is supposed to blow their competition out of the water. Think it's called Archon. You can check it out at www.digitalaquatics.org

Put a voltmeter across the voltage inputs to the little converter board and measure them when it is supposedly ramping down.  When the lights are at 20% the voltmeter should show 2 volts, at 50% it should show 5 volts, etc.  Depending on the voltmeter it will show 1V at 20% on the PWM output if the voltmeter is able to average out the PWM to show some kind of average voltage.

I haven't really been home during those times. In the morning by the time I wake up and get my kids ready it is already at 80% and you cannot really tell the difference. I am really going to try and monitor it tonight so I can tell if it works. Here is a pic of the other side of the tank. YEg4Vr3.jpgVsaCybZ.jpg

It does work. It's just that I was never there when it was almost night time. I had to change the whites to dim down faster then the blues so it looks like it was turning from day to night. But it looks to be a success. Thanks to all of you guys.

Cool that it's working. 

The dimming doesn't appear linear when you're watching it.  I know my lights at home are going from 40% to 100% and down to 40% from 10:30am to 5:30pm, yet it looks the same brightness to me that entire time. 

It's only when it starts going below 30-40% that it starts really being visible to me that it's dimmer so my light schedule tends to have a big hump in the middle and then longer tails on each end, almost like a bell curve (or Gaussian normal distribution).  In fact, maybe I should make that kind of curve for the Reef Angel and then you'd only need to specify how many standard deviations from the mean you wanted the start and end times to be. 8)

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Just so that you know what these can do. I finally added lightning code to my ReefAngel. What do you think?

I guess I can't post a youtube video?

Edited by lnevo

Lee, you should just be able to put the youtube link in your post and it will show it as embedded, as if by magic.

I think that's pretty neat. I'm also trying to figure out if that is the theme song to the second season to True Detective coming in at the end, which is why you so hurriedly cut the clip!

• 11 months later...

Necropost! I recently picked up some black boxes and was wondering if anyone had figured out what was needed for dimming to 0 (off). I found a post on another forum that got the Mars Aqua boxes dimming to 0 with an Arduino based controller and figure it would be the same for these boxes (SBReef) but the details seem to fizzle out. Not sure if it actually worked or not.