Is this normal (bristle worm mass)

Djplus1

This pic does no justice.

post-2633366-0-30453700-1371584529_thumb.jpg

I turned off the light for less than 5 minutes trying to catch a fish with fish food in a trap and seriously, like 50 worms were all about. It is really, really creepy looking. 

Is it bad to have this many worms in a tank?

That's a lot in one spot...was this just after feeding? If so then normal...if not then they are searching for food...and will kill corals along the way...get as many of them out as you can....

That's a lot in one spot...was this just after feeding? If so then normal...if not then they are searching for food...and will kill corals along the way...get as many of them out as you can....

I put a bunch of food in a trap, they were going after it. So I should set a worm trap and throw them out on a weekly basis huh?

They're nocturnal so it is common for them to come out at night.  Who knows why there were that many in one place- maybe some food or something pooped there or something.  

Having that many probably just means there's enough food for them in the tank.  Maybe watch how much you're feeding and make sure you're not overfeeding.  Unless they're HUGE, bristleworms will cause no harm to anything in the tank (except you if you grab it!).

I put a bunch of food in a trap, they were going after it. So I should set a worm trap and throw them out on a weekly basis huh?

No, you will have as many worms in your tank as it will sustain.  If you're overfeeding or there's some other source of food for them, they will reproduce and grow larger.  If there's not as much food for them you won't have as many.  Simple balance of nature.  No reason to throw them out.

You are going to get a wide range of responses....i would leave them in. If there are that many it is because you are overfeeding.

My opinion is the population directly correlates with the amount of excess food. Just my opinion though...

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I used to have a ton of them in my old tank.  I would take out the really large ones and leave the small ones.  I would just put on a latex glove and grab them at night with the help of a flashlight. 

this is pure misinformation. bristleworms do not eat corals and will not harm them. they are scavengers and only eat dead and dying things and errant fish food pieces.

the more bristleworms you have, the better as there will be less uneaten food and decaying things in your tank.

this is pure misinformation. bristleworms do not eat corals and will not harm them. they are scavengers and only eat dead and dying things and errant fish food pieces.

the more bristleworms you have, the better as there will be less uneaten food and decaying things in your tank.

+1. They're good members of your clean up crew.