HQI DIY

JMsAquarium

Has anyone retrofitted one of those halogen floodlight fixtures, from Home Depot or Lowes, to fit a 250W HQI?

If yes, how pleased are you with the results? Mainly, how difficult was to switch the sockets, and how well the light is reflected through the tank, as compared to the brand pendants available from the regular suppliers.

Thanks

JM

• 3 weeks later...
Guest samc99us

I've done it with a 150 watt. You would need to drill the fixture to accomodate a 250 watt halide, and thus it won't really work. If you can find a long enough fixture, switching out the endcaps and doing the wiring is fairley simple.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Jean-Marie,

I made a DIY fixture with one of these housings for a 150W. Get a socket from hellolights- get the more expensive one. You can not do it by simply modifying the existing socket. Some 150W bulbs might fit, but it is close and can easily break bulbs. I needed to clean out all the old "socket" with my dremel tool to fit the new socket into place. Then needed to snip the inside reflector a little to get the bracket- was easy. Drilled a couple holes to mount in the new socket, wire it up and you are done. I was very happy for the $25 it cost total.

To mount it into the hood, I used the arm that holds the housing and drilled a hole through the top of the canopy and the used the nut to screw it into place. The fixture seals the light very well from moisture, and I never had any heat problems with it.

45051[/snapback]