Severe weather ahead!!!

nbgen12

Long before I got into reefing, my main hobby has been weather. 

Which means you're as good or better than those on TV or the radio :laugh:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont think this one will be even close to last years. That thing came out of the blue and when it hit, it was devastating from the get go. I remember being in my car at a red light and seeing shopping carts and street signs flying through the intersection within 5 minutes of the first hint of bad weather. I thought for sure a tornado was comin through fairfax.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Keep an eye on cloud cover and temperature over the next few hours. If the sun comes out and we get temps near 90 then we are at risk for some severe weather. If not, it's just another day in the neighborhood.

If this is as bad as last year (I was not here, but have been told) I am going to be hand-stirring my tank all day while the power is out. I am totally unprepared for a long-term outage :(

If you do lose power post up in a thread for help. I'm sure someone will have extra battery air pumps for you. One of the nice things of WAMAS is the network of help that's available when you need it.

Which means you're as good or better than those on TV or the radio :laugh:

I can't stand 95% of TV mets. My wife laughs her butt off when I scream at them on TV. Using the word derecho for today was one of the most extreme examples of money hungry media exploitation that I've ever seen.

If you do lose power post up in a thread for help. I'm sure someone will have extra battery air pumps for you. One of the nice things of WAMAS is the network of help that's available when you need it.

I'm picking up battery air pumps today, text me, we can work it out!

It'll probably be long gone by the time you grab air pumps, but they are important to have on hand for any future events without a doubt.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

Derecho must be Spanish for dark clouds and panicked people. I'll get the air pumps anyways, I've invested to much in the tank to lose it over being unprepared.

Edited by YHSublime

I learned the hard way last time a real derecho came through.  I now have everything on surge protectors and have 2 ecotech backups daisy chained to one of my MP40's.  In theory I can go about 72 hours with one of the MP40's running.

(edited)

I can't stand 95% of TV mets. My wife laughs her butt off when I scream at them on TV. Using the word derecho for today was one of the most extreme examples of money hungry media exploitation that I've ever seen.

:laugh: Yep, any little hiccup gives them something to talk about - self created drama.................they must have all gone to the "Doug of Doom" school of broadcasting.

"oh lordy 'recho com'n.......'reccho com'n........oh lordy"  :laugh:

Edited by ErikS

Derecho:  Derecho comes from the Spanish word in adjective form for "straight" (or "direct"), in contrast with a tornado which is a "twisted" wind.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

Media hype?  What?  Who said that?  Never!!  </sarcasm>  That's why I only read the NWS Alerts and look at the weather maps.  I don't like to listen to the local meteorologists.  They always say things like "this is a 'RED ALERT DAY'" and "stay tuned ALL DAY for coverage."  It's all doom and destruction but don't change that channel!   ugh...  

Sunny in Gaithersburg.  Just saying.

I do have 3 battery powered air pumps and a drawer of D batteries if someone around here ends up needing one, though.

Blue sky on the Potomac.... Hoping it stays that way for us all.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

post-2633579-137114370446_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-137114372206_thumb.jpg

Media hype?  Say it ain't SO!  Back in another life, I was actually an on air weather dweeb, but it was NH so the "cold" part was almost always accurate.

The big deal I've found here is the ease with which the power goes down.  Sometimes it seems as if sneezing is enough to take things out in my neighborhood.  I still say that my best investment to date was our propane generator. I'd love to have some solar panels as well, but haven't yet figured out how to do it.  Anything (almost) to get away from VA Powerless.  

I still have a battery pump just in case.  Last storm we blew and alternator on the generator on the last day of no power, and the battery pump came in handy, as did an inverter + Prius for the freezer.

We just got a severe thunderstorm warning until 3:45 for Montgomery County.  Supposed to roll in any minute with 60mph winds.  I remain skeptical.

We just got a severe thunderstorm warning until 3:45 for Montgomery County.  Supposed to roll in any minute with 60mph winds.  I remain skeptical.

Ahh! You jinked it:(. It's pouring down as of now.

Yep. We just got the black cloud and pouring from nothing to buckets instantly.  Looks like it'll go by fast, though.  Already lessening.

Clear now inthe Leesburg the power flicker but stayed on. Did get an emergency alert to take shelter now so went to basement

Clear now inthe Leesburg the power flicker but stayed on. Did get an emergency alert to take shelter now so went to basement

Nope I'm 4 miles away from you in the dark no power lol....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tornado supposedly confirmed in Rockville near Colesville.  We had to go to our shelter-in-place at work until 1615.