Severe weather ahead!!!

nbgen12

Anyone remember the "derecho" from last summer, and a week without power after what seemed like the end of the world had arrived?

Looks like we may have another surprise storm coming through late tonight and tomorrow.....get your reef survival stuff prepared, the forecast does not look pretty....

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure what to prep. We have 2the battery airstones but that is it.

Not sure what to prep. We have 2the battery airstones but that is it.

Your choice of adult beverAges and ice is always important. You can also use the ice in bags to help keep the temp down if it becomes an issue.

Your choice of adult beverAges and ice is always important. You can also use the ice in bags to help keep the temp down if it becomes an issue.

Very well said lol.

You can go a couple days with battery powered air pumps and a bunch of ice in the summertime....

I need battery air pumps. Where is a good spot?

Lol I got the adult and furkid prep but first time with a tank.

I went through Hurricane Hugo in Charleston. Then as a dumb teenager we surfed hurricanes coming in lol

Just picked up my generator and a bunch of 5g gas cans....

After losing power for 7 days last summer and crashing my 55g tank, definitely not going to get fooled twice lol

This will go down and yet another over-hyped DC area storms.....  Don't spend too much time prepping, but be prepared I guess just in case.

So what systems would you say are the most important to back up in a tank? Just pumps and power heads?

A low wattage power head like a tunze 6025 or air stone is the best to provide circulation and gas exchange. Not having a crowded tank really pays off when the powers out. Too many fish and the O2 gets used fast.

This will go down and yet another over-hyped DC area storms..... Don't spend too much time prepping, but be prepared I guess just in case.

Agreed....but grab the vodka and limes just in case :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Agreed....but grab the vodka and limes just in case :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've heard of dosing vodka, but limes? :cool:

This will go down and yet another over-hyped DC area storms.....  Don't spend too much time prepping, but be prepared I guess just in case.

Over hyped DC area storms?? Whens that ever happen? lol.

I sure hope you're right, but I'll take the prepared route. 

Over hyped DC area storms?? Whens that ever happen? lol.

I sure hope you're right, but I'll take the prepared route. 

Long before I got into reefing, my main hobby has been weather.  The storms sure are rocking and rolling out in Indiana right now with reports of winds up to 80mph.  The make it or break it factor tomorrow is going to be how much of this makes it over the Appalachian mountains.  Those giant rocks have a tendency to shear apart storms for our area more often than not.  I kind of expect that to be the case tomorrow but you never know in situations like this.  Also, no offense, but it bugs me to all H-E-double hockey sticks when all the TV mets are using the word Derecho so easily.  On June 29th, 2012, 99% of people in this area never even knew what a Derecho was, even after we got hit with one last summer, 90% of people still don't know what one is.  I'm not saying it won't happen, but the way the TV guys are throwing that around the past couple days drives me crazy.  Derechos in this area are VERY rare......For a storm to be considered a Derecho it needs to consist of winds in excess of 58mph and must span an area of 250 miles.  That is NOT east to accomplish.

My bet is we get a lot of rain with minimal winds over night, between 3-5am, followed but some lighter stuff right before rush hour, followed by heavy winds and a lot of rain between 3-5pm tomorrow afternoon.  This is the time frame that damaging winds, hail, and tornados are possible.  Good luck everyone!  :tongue:

Generator is gassed up and ready to go. Fridge is full of tasty beverages!!!!!!!

Did it even rain yet?? Lol

We got some overnight....

Pretty bad wave coming through now between 8-10 with 30mph gusts.

If this wave gets in and out quickly then this afternoon still has a chance at being bad. If the storm/clouds linger then this afternoon may be a wash.-

So it looks like the morning rain is going to get broken up by the mountains, so we are good for now.  Maybe the mountains can catch the afternoon ones also.

If this is as bad as last year (I was not here, but have been told) I am going to be hand-stirring my tank all day while the power is out. I am totally unprepared for a long-term outage :(