Fish for tanks smaller than 20G

cjeffers88

So I just got a smaller tank and Im trying to decide what fish I want to put into it, sadly they have to be somewhat reef safe so Im not open to all options. My tank will be mostly LPS and zoas.

Any thoughts or experience on what fish do well in a smaller tank...?

Do a search on liveaquaria for nano fish. You'll get many options with full description for each. 

blue and yellow tangs do well.....sorry couldnt resist

ive seen clown gobies, clownfish, pistol shrimp/goby combo's

alot depends on how much less than 20g, you can fit alot in a 20g...not much in a 1.3g

Got a cute clown goby, sexy shrimp and peppermint shrimp in my 5g....

Goby doesn't do much...hardly ever see it..may want to try a swimmer like a rainsford goby...

Got a cute clown goby, sexy shrimp and peppermint shrimp in my 5g....

Goby doesn't do much...hardly ever see it..may want to try a swimmer like a rainsford goby...

Im big on fish with personality, I have two tail spot blennys that are such great swimmers. They come right up to the glass, as well as a beautiful active mandarin. 

I have a 12g, but I might move up to 15. So I'm looking into fish for a 12-15g.

blue and yellow tangs do well.....sorry couldnt resist

ive seen clown gobies, clownfish, pistol shrimp/goby combo's

alot depends on how much less than 20g, you can fit alot in a 20g...not much in a 1.3g

I could get a very small tang and once he gets too big I could put him in the 90g I have....

I could get a very small tang and once he gets too big I could put him in the 90g I have....

please dont put even the smallest of tangs in a 20g tank, thats to small for them.

Its to big no matter how small you get.

please dont put even the smallest of tangs in a 20g tank, thats to small for them.

I wouldn't, but lately I've seen LFS having blue hippo tangs smaller than an inch and if I were to put them in my 90g... they wouldnt last a week.

I have a small hippo in my 220 and he is doing fine now for a couple months.  I think he would be fine in the 90

I wish my tank would allow that, Surprisingly a lot of my fish are somewhat "bullys" when I try to introduce any new fish.. and Ive rearranged a lot of my tank often so they dont become too territorial. 

I think a "tiny" hippo would be fine in the 20g until it got big enough to hold his own in the 90g.

I second the Rainford's Goby recommendation! Also could add Dartfish, Gobies, and Cardinals. Just keep a lid on the tank to limit carpet surfing.

Clowns, Firefish, gobies, bangaii cardinal, pajama cardinal, chromis, etc...

(edited)

No six-line. Way to mean unless its alone in there... I probably wouldn't put wrasses in there either,,

I stand corrected.

Edited by Shoelace

Any goby that pairs with a small pistol shrimp.  I prefer candy stripe pistols as they are smaller than tigers.  The shrimp/goby combo is a good "personality" to have.

(edited)

more input, tank will be bare bottom most likely.. so that rules out a few things. 

ive heard rainford goby has a craving for hair algae ... is this true?

Edited by cjeffers88

6 line is fine. Tons of nanos have them, myself included.

I've heard nothing but bad things about them being real mean, from nanos, to 150g tanks. Just what I've noticed. 

6 line could be mean. Small, less than 1.5 inch tang would be awesome. Probably would even do better in a nano so you can pay more attention to it and feed more often. Small dwarf angels are another awesome addition. Flamebacks and cherubs are best for nanos, just make sure to buy a small one. Other dwarfs would also potentially work if you got a small individual. They grow slowly anyways, and have a small max size. I have a 1.5 inch flameback in my 11 gal. Go with a goby/ pistol shrimp pair without a doubt. Barnacle blenny's are one of the coolest nano fish and amazing personality. Another cool goby is the flame prawn goby, however those can be pretty boring even though they're pretty. Check out some other eviota or trimma gobies and definitely get a pair! I would not go with a rainfords or hectors goby. They tend to like bigger, mature sandbeds and things to feed on. Similar to mandarins... Of course sexy shrimp are a must for a nano. If you have an anemone, maybe add a rock or mini maxi anemone then get a pedersons cleaner shrimp, or a pair of them. Maybe a harlequin shrimp if you're into that. Thats all I've got for now.

Agree that Rainsfords need a mature sandbed, that tailspots and barnacle blennies are awesome, and trimmas/eviotas are great since you have a lid.  I have a little yellow clown goby and a green banded goby in my 3g pico.  Sexy shrimp, bumblebee shrimp and pom pom crabs are cool inverts.  Geometric pygmy hawkfish and red headed gobies are also colorful and interesting.