2 Blennies??

rebekwl

Soooo I really wanted a Midas blenny but my husband bought a bi-color instead, and he is cute and all but...  I'm wondering if a 92 corner is too small to have 2 blennies in, or if you think they would be ok.  I figure they'll prob get along ok after a little time passes by but wanted to see what you all think...  

We have a Midas and two tailspot blennies in our 90. The herbivore blennies have a completely different personality than the omnivores like the Midas. You should be completely fine.

Well we put the midas in the tank w/in the last hour and he is wreaking havoc on everyone. He seems to be trying to establish dominance immediately and is picking on the bicolor and also the male lyretail anthias who is 2-3x his size. I hope he calms down after a few days :/ We also bought a yellow coris wrasse and he is hiding peacefully in the sand :) 

That's terrible! I have never seen a Midas that bad. It sound like he has a bad temperament. My Midas is occasionally (rarely) goes after the cleaner wrasse I picked up from Jan and my yellow corris wrasse but the other 14 fish are completely ignored. Even the slight aggression doesn't last long and is just to scoot these fish away from "his" chalice.

Give him a snickers. :-(

personally I don't agree with more than one blenny in a tank unless its ginormous....they are very territorial......not a good idea.

I've done some more reading and it is hit or miss apparently. It will depend on the demeanor of the Midas. It sounds like you have a terror on your hands. There are plenty of people keeping a Midas and bicolor together in tanks your size and smaller.. Some people are reporting that they are even the best of friends an sleep in the same hole.

So far today things aren't going too bad. The bi-color is still feeling out of place and the Midas keeps perching in the bi-colors hole to show him who's boss, but they are not fighting like they were yesterday.  The male anthias has been putting the midas in his place all day so he's calmed down quite a bit for now.  The coris wrasse is awesome BTW-he acts like he's been in there forever, no one is bothering him and vice versa. 

Glad to hear it is turning around. If the Midas begins to be a terror again, try sticking mirror on the tank in front of his hole. I do this every time I add a new fish and every remotely aggressive fish in the tank is so busy fighting their reflection that they don't even realize that there is a new addition. After about three days I will take the mirror away and the new fish will have already established himself and acclimated. So far this has worked with quite a few fish.

That's a good idea, we will try that next time!   

So far today things are pretty much the same,  The bi-color still won't go into the rocks but he is swimming around, etc. I think he's hoping to get his home back but I'm thinking he better find a new one at this point.  

Our coris wrasse has disappeared BTW-haven't seen him since yesterday afternoon :/ Really liked that guy and he seemed happy. Maybe he's taking a really long nap? :/ 

Wrasses have a tendancy to do that... He will pop up ra do my one day. He is burried in your sand right now. They are also known jumpers but I assume you have some kind of a top?

Well we don't have a top but the tank is flush to the wall (corner tank) and he def did not jump out the front of the tank, I've looked all over.  I can't see all the way to the bottom of the overflow, but I assume if he were in there (and that close to the bottom) he would have been sucked into the sump by now and he's not in there either. I figure he's probably in the sand, it's just strange that he was out all day on Sunday and most of yesterday then all of the sudden he has vanished.  He "seemed" comfortable while he was out, swimming around everywhere and none of the other fish were bothering with him.  I checked from underneath the glass and can't see him there either but our sand is prob 3-4" so he could be in between there somewhere lol!

~Rebekah