Can you permanently bend vinyl tubing?

steveoutlaw

I've heard of folks putting their spa-flex PVC in the dryer to shape it like they want. Can I do that with vinyl tubing? I have a 1-1/4 piece that has a slight bend and I want to get it straight so it doesn't put pressure on the pump or the fitting. Thoughts? Talk amongst yourselves.

Wouldn't a heat gun melt it?

Edited by treesprite

Heat gun could melt it, you need to be very careful using one with a softer plastic like vynl tubing.

Like mentioned boiling water is best as that will not melt the entire thing. If boiling water is not an option for some reason (like it is already installed and you can't get it off) a heat gun can work but work slowly and carefully. A little can go a long way and the point of "Hey this seems to be working!" and "Holy crap I just melted this tubing closed!" is a couple of seconds.

Also if you are using a heat gun pay attention to what is behind/next to/nearby as it is very easy to melt other things unintentionally. (Speaking from experience here)

It's 1-1/4" ID tubing so it's pretty big. I'm wondering if running the hottest water out of the faucet into the tub and letting it sit in there for a while would work? I only want to take the bend out of tubing from the roll it was in.

i think that would work...it will soften enough as it starts to soak that you can keep working it...get one of your princesses to help you hold and straighten it as it softens and it will go faster.....

i would keep working it after it sits for a few minutes though....since the bath water is going to continue to cool down unless you keep a steady stream of hot going in..

If this project doesn't work try ordering some silicon tubing. It's expensive but you don't need much. Very flexible. Good for reducing tension on fittings and for isolating vibration.