15g High to a refugium

Neto

I am a big DIY guy because I really enjoy building stuff! I built my own tank, lights & cabinet. I decided to build a new sump because my current one is all dirty, it doesnt have a filter sock holder and my chaeto is kind of filtering all the stuff.. I decided to build a 15g tall refugium that has chambers for the filter sock, rubble rock, macro's and pumps (return and media reactor). I had some spare glass around the house from my previous builds and I made the cuts myself with a small wet saw & diamond blade that I bought a while ago to do my kitchen's back splash (glass too). I am happy with the results, I hope my tank runs much cleaner now but any criticism is welcome!

here are some pics:

E75B043A-08E0-4B09-970B-4B1DCDA6024F-368-000000164557EF3B_zpsd2f0f7f8.jpg

98690F5D-5557-4CAC-A943-2346969338C8-368-00000016428DBB72_zps4b0eda0a.jpg

5E303783-B521-469C-B05E-807589DCAFA0-368-00000016409F2044_zps7006e6bb.jpg

629F1038-A411-4194-BFD7-19FE4369A049-368-000000163BAA4359_zpsf3367642.jpg

9B505BCC-48F6-4582-B453-269976BD3892-368-000000163E9532D9_zps8b503ccb.jpg

Well done! Wish I had the space, or the DIY skills. I have a sump I want to start working on soon, would like to "clean it up" aesthetically.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys!

In past projects have damaged many things but I have learned that patience is the key to achieving what you want, specially in this hobby. You also need to put attention to details and need the right tools for the job.

I have learned that patience is the key to achieving what you want, specially in this hobby. You also need to put attention to details and need the right tools for the job.

Well said...great DIY, nice job with the silicone seams...

Hopefully you will be able to maintain enough water in the return pump section to prevent microbubbles from the refugium section while still maintaining enough empty volume for power outage drainage. Is the 15G an upgrade to your current sump?

Well said...great DIY, nice job with the silicone seams...

Hopefully you will be able to maintain enough water in the return pump section to prevent microbubbles from the refugium section while still maintaining enough empty volume for power outage drainage. Is the 15G an upgrade to your current sump?

Yes, the water level will be low on the last chamber so that water from the tank drains in case of a power outage. Only like 2 gallons are needed for this but I will make sure the sump does not overflow and I will set up my ATO according to the water level needed. I currently have a 10gal sump that is basically almost the design with the exeption of the filter sock holder and the first chamber split. My overflow drains water directly to my chaeto on my current sump, so you can imagine that my chaeto full of crap. The reason I upgrated is because I wanted little more water & I also wanted a long filter sock (4" x 14") so I could maximize its time in the sump and on my current design I have 4 socks and I plan to change them bi-weekly. I wont be running a skimmer so I wont have any microbubbles.

So this is basically fixing my current sump flaws.

Cool!

I wasn't suggesting microbubbles from a skimmer...I was trying to say if the water level is low in the return section then the waterfall from the refugium will cause bubbles...you won't know until you play with the water level...Again, looks great!

Edited by John

(edited)

Very nice job! That looks so clean! Is the second chamber (after the filter sock) for rock?

The first chamber is split into two. One side for the filter sock, the other for rubble rock or something else. I can also put chaeto there and other type of algae in the second chamber (ulva, blue ochodes, etc)

this is what I was thinking (grey = filter sock, white clowds = rock )

Untitled_zps7768fc0d.png

Edited by Neto