New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

The rock its on is the biggest one in the tank... How do i get rid of it...? Also, when I did research on the pepermant shrimp it said it eats them... Sure hasn't started nibbling yet... Any who back to getting rid of the pest problem??

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock its on is the biggest one in the tank... How do i get rid of it...? Also, when I did research on the pepermant shrimp it said it eats them... Sure hasn't started nibbling yet... Any who back to getting rid of the pest problem??

you put a peppermint shrimp in? It won't make it through a cycle...and they are completely hit or miss as to whether or not they will really eat them....

the best thing that has worked for me is injecting them with aptaisia X

Just checked the levels for the day... minimal change:

PH: 8.0

AMM: 1.0

Nitrite: .15

Nitrate: 0

I will have to go and git the aptaisia X tomorrow to kill the Cockroaches!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

its a long slow process (it can take months or a few weeks no predicting)....exciting and frustrating all at once. it feels like it stalls and then one day you test and it suddenly reads zeros...it feels like your birthday as a child!

You are going to go through some ugly algae blooms...diatoms, green film and hair algae...don't panic they are all par for the course.

oh and you have to very very slowly sneak up on the aptaisia....if they sense you they will withdraw tightly into the rock and you won't get to them. Just slowly lower the needle to them and let a tiny bit of the liquid go...they will start to try to eat it as food and then blast it fast....if you get it really good you will actually get it to explode..kinda fun.

its a long slow process (it can take months or a few weeks no predicting)....exciting and frustrating all at once. it feels like it stalls and then one day you test and it suddenly reads zeros...it feels like your birthday as a child!

You are going to go through some ugly algae blooms...diatoms, green film and hair algae...don't panic they are all par for the course.

Okay :-) but I should test everyday though right?

and as far as those algae blooms, once the cycle is done I go and get snails and crabs right :-)

oh and you have to very very slowly sneak up on the aptaisia....if they sense you they will withdraw tightly into the rock and you won't get to them. Just slowly lower the needle to them and let a tiny bit of the liquid go...they will start to try to eat it as food and then blast it fast....if you get it really good you will actually get it to explode..kinda fun.

Oh, that sound fun!!! I will be sure and sneak up on him!

Cool, thanks again for everything!!

Well, after reading about the fish jumping... that made me think about should I get a glass lid for the tank?? Where can I find one to fit the 30' Bowfront tank?

Anyone?

You would want to aerate your tank so that's why most people don't have a full top. You can mitigate jumping fish by putting non jumpers or put either a mesh screen (like a window screen) or eggcrate, which is what I have. There are negatives in that it can diffuse light and some fish may fit through the 1/2" holes. But since you have a bow front, making a screen would be difficult but cutting egg crate would be easy. Some extra research would help you decide.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Okay :-) but I should test everyday though right?

and as far as those algae blooms, once the cycle is done I go and get snails and crabs right :-)

Testing every day is good as you can monitor.

You can get snails and hermits etc once you get past your ammonia spike and it goes to 0 and your nitrites get to 0. Stay away from shrimp as they are really sensitive to nitrates. Don't add too many as you won't have a ton for them to eat. They will get you through your algae outbreaks along with water changes. Just make sure that both of those parameters stay at zero for a few days in a row and don't fluctuate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You would want to aerate your tank so that's why most people don't have a full top. You can mitigate jumping fish by putting non jumpers or put either a mesh screen (like a window screen) or eggcrate, which is what I have. There are negatives in that it can diffuse light and some fish may fit through the 1/2" holes. But since you have a bow front, making a screen would be difficult but cutting egg crate would be easy. Some extra research would help you decide.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

he has a bowfront..not sure anyone has figured out a tight fit window screen for that...may have only egg crate choice.

Definitely don't do glass...you want the gas exchange

Edited by sachabballi reef

White vinegar works just as well as aiptasiaX and is cheaper. Inject them the same way, may take a couple times with a large one, but it will nuke it.

White vinegar works just as well as aiptasiaX and is cheaper. Inject them the same way, may take a couple times with a large one, but it will nuke it.

good to know!

Ok, I will test everyday I just wont bug you guys with the posts lol

okay, well I think I will stay away from the jumpers :-) to keep the top open... as for the vinagar, will that affect the water paremeters? and would I have to actually stick it with a needle, becasie I doubt I can catch him before he goes back into the rock lol... might have to be lazy and go with the aiptasiaX.

So I came home and took the biowheel out and threw it in the trash and took the little piece of shrimp that I still had in there out :-)

Even if you inject it when it retracts, the vinegar will take care of it. The only way it will affect your params. is if you tried to nuke a bunch.

Just be sure to turn off all circulation in the tank for about 20 mins, so it has time to work.

Good evening everyone!

Okay... little bit of a change here!

Salinity: 1.025

PH:8.4

Amm:.50...(went down from 1.0)

Nitrite:.25 (went up from .15)

Nitrate: .20 (now that I have Nitrate...the shrimp is going ot die huh :-( --the nitrate will get sky high until I do a water change right? and I shouldnt do that until I get 0 amm and 0 nitrite...?

Damsels is still in there swimming like he is fine... and Im getting a light shade of the diatom alage ont eh sand and its on all the rock.

Oh, I never did ask but how is my rock landscaping? Ive been reading a lot about that a looks like people put a lot of time into it... I just made sure that I had some what of a cave look i guess...

Thanks everyone!

(edited)

Good evening everyone!

Okay... little bit of a change here!

Salinity: 1.025

PH:8.4

Amm:.50...(went down from 1.0)

Nitrite:.25 (went up from .15)

Nitrate: .20 (now that I have Nitrate...the shrimp is going ot die huh :-( --the nitrate will get sky high until I do a water change right? and I shouldnt do that until I get 0 amm and 0 nitrite...? I havnt seen the shrimp.....

Damsels is still in there swimming like he is fine... and Im getting a light shade of the diatom alage ont eh sand and its on all the rock.

Oh, I never did ask but how is my rock landscaping? Ive been reading a lot about that a looks like people put a lot of time into it... I just made sure that I had some what of a cave look i guess...

Thanks everone!

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

The ammonia and nitrite will kill the shrimp (and maybe the fish). Nitrates aren't as bad for them assuming they are not 80-100...

So how is the cycle coming along?

so what about the water change and weather or not I should wait until the Ammonia, and nitrite go to zero... think I haev a long wait?

Thanks for responding! :-)

Your cycle is continuing. Ammonia and Nitrite have to be 0. Once they are, your Nitrates will rise, which they already seem like they are but it will be more. You will do a large water change or changes to get the nitrates down. then you're done. you slowly add livestock after that.

I personally would not wait until you get your nitrate spike to do a water change. I did wc's during the cycling (maybe twice) just to practice. It helped me get the kinks out when the tank did not have livestock. The bacteria growing is not in the water column so it won't slow it down. You should take this opportunity to get to know your tank and to get to know your routine. Treat the tank as if you had livestock. Another reason to do wc's during your cycle is that you won't get behind on your nitrates at the end. Again, there are many ways to do this. A lot will say don't do wc's during the cycle so you'll have to make that decision w/ some further research/advice.

Your cycle is continuing. Ammonia and Nitrite have to be 0. Once they are, your Nitrates will rise, which they already seem like they are but it will be more. You will do a large water change or changes to get the nitrates down. then you're done. you slowly add livestock after that.

I personally would not wait until you get your nitrate spike to do a water change. I did wc's during the cycling (maybe twice) just to practice. It helped me get the kinks out when the tank did not have livestock. The bacteria growing is not in the water column so it won't slow it down. You should take this opportunity to get to know your tank and to get to know your routine. Treat the tank as if you had livestock. Another reason to do wc's during your cycle is that you won't get behind on your nitrates at the end. Again, there are many ways to do this. A lot will say don't do wc's during the cycle so you'll have to make that decision w/ some further research/advice.

Ok great thank you for the awesome advice!

I dont see anything wrong with a few WCs during the cycle. It will help the livestock you do have in there be happier/ survive. You also don't need to test every day. The process will be taking place, and it will take time. By all means test if it is something you enjoy, but there is no need to do so for a few weeks. If at that point you test and have 0 amm and 0 nitrites, you can test for a few days to verify stability and the end of your cycle.

I dont see anything wrong with a few WCs during the cycle. It will help the livestock you do have in there be happier/ survive. You also don't need to test every day. The process will be taking place, and it will take time. By all means test if it is something you enjoy, but there is no need to do so for a few weeks. If at that point you test and have 0 amm and 0 nitrites, you can test for a few days to verify stability and the end of your cycle.

lol don't you remember your first tank? Testing every day was part of the fun ......made you feel like you had some control in an uncontrolled situation ;)

but I agree with the WC...once a week is all you need though.... just to refresh