New 36 Bowfront set up any advice?

XxTech MoneyxX

Hello everyone!

First and foremost, thank you for your help :-)!

Here is what I have running now:

2 Weeks 1 day....

Did the Shrimp trick to start the cycle, it worked to get it started :-) ... started with one Damsel in the first week, some of you will be mad with me...sorry got excited about starting and didn't see any changes in the beginning, so I got antzy. :-(

PH: 8.4

Amm: .50

Nitrite: .15 (just before the first reading)

Nitrate: 0

Temp: 80

36g Bowfront

30 Inch Coralife Lunar Aqualight T5 Lamp High Output Fixture

Caribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand Original (about 35lbs)

25lbs Live Rock (Fiji, Fiji Branch)

HOB Coralife 65gph Protien Skimmer

HOB Emperior 280 w/carbon

100w Heater

x2 Hydor 850 Powerheads (facing each other at the top of the Aquarium)

Goals for this tank:

Fish

2 Clown fish

Hippo Tang

Yellow Tang

Maybe a couple of smaller fish Wrasse depending on the bioload....

Soft Coral (No SPS)

"Undecided" but I really want Bubble tip anen. for the clowns :-) seen a lot of other stuff but??? Defiantly want this to be a reef tank though!

Questions:

Found Baby Brittle Star and a small BS, Pepermant Shrimp in the live Rock can I save them?

Thinking about getting NextReef MR1 Complete GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor... Do I have to get it though?

Any advice/Help would be great!

I wanted to post a picture of the set up but the file was too big :-(

Thank you for all of your help! :-)

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

Okay, so there is the first thing I will scratch off :-). I will take the Yellow Tang off then, my kids have to have "Dori" lol. What is the "Tang Police"?

Edited by XxTech MoneyxX

I think this is going to be an awesome tank, and you are starting off well by joining this community! I have a few thoughts/advice on the setup.

• Do the HOB Emperors have the bio wheel? If so you will want to take that off as the live rock will accomplish the same thing, and if you leave the bio wheel on it will become a nitrate factory.
  • The tangs will go nuts in a tank that small. But if you do put them in, they appreciate lots of overhangs and caves to swim through (try to avoid a big "rock pile" when aquascaping).

Everything else sounds great. I look forward to seeing the progress!

Okay, so there is the first thing I will scratch off :-). I will take the Yellow Tang off then, my kids have to have "Dori" lol. What is the "Tang Police"?

I wouldn't put either in a tank that small ;)

BTW "Tang Police" is a slang term for people on the internet who will "yell" at you for putting tangs in a small tank.

Oh no... :-( Okay I will break the news to my kids... hmm I wish I could show the picture of my set up (Rock scape) How is the best way to add pics to the post?

Thanks for posting your advice, it will be taken. This is awesome as I feel like Im not alone in this anymore!

please please research your fish before you put them in your tank or reach out to the club to ask before you buy....

no tang can go in tank that size...if your daughter wants dorrie then daddy needs 180 gallons lol...

most wrasses need at least 50 gallons ....

slow down and tank a deep breath...nothing that happens fast in this hobby is good...all adjustments should be slow and deliberate. No making impulse purchases or adding any chemical etc without a test kit for it.

your tank should be very very well established prior to putting anemone in it. that means preferably a year at a minimum 6+ months...

i think your tank is young enough where you don't need to set up GFO etc...get through your cycle fully first and when your nutrients warrant it add it in.

Oh yeah... I do have the Bio wheel on... will take it out today when I get home!

I only have 1 Emperior 280... is that going to be good enough for the tank?

What do you think about saving the Brittle Start and shrimp? am I too late do to the cycle starting? :-(

I still have the peice of shrimp that helped start the cycle in there should I take it out?

Oh yeah, def. not alone! This is truly an addiction not a hobby. It wont be long before you are upgrading that 36 to a 90+ :)

I also just noticed your question on the reactors. I would hold off on them until you have your tank up and running for a while. You dont even know if you have a Phosphate problem yet. While these are effective, there are other ways (cheaper) to combat nutrient issues that I would try first -if/when it becomes an issue.

In the beginning keep it simple and let your system tell you what it needs.

Oh no... :-( Okay I will break the news to my kids... hmm I wish I could show the picture of my set up (Rock scape) How is the best way to add pics to the post?

Thanks for posting your advice, it will be taken. This is awesome as I feel like Im not alone in this anymore!

you are DEFINITELY not alone....you have an entire club here to support you. Spend the $20 for membership...you will get it back immediately and then some as you have access to all the areas of the site and can purchase things from other members at huge discounts.

No matter what your questions are post them..everyone on this site is so amazing and willing to help at all hours of the night....there are no stupid questions and unfortunately most have experienced crashes and awful things and we have all learned from each others lessons and successes.

welcome to wamas and we are looking forward to your journey....

Okay, great! Thank you all for your advice... now to try and shrink this pciture down a bit!

- Research, research, research!

- No Reactor yet...got it

- No tangs... :-( okay got it...

- Take it slow... got it :-)

- Upgrade to a bigger tank.... ALL READY IN THE WORKS! LOL :rolleyes:

I still have the peice of shrimp that helped start the cycle in there should I take it out?

Yes, you dont need it if you have live rock (LR) that came with some life on it.

As for the shrimp and brittle star, the star will probably make it through the cycle, but in my experiance shrimp are sensitive to nitrates. However, I know for a fact that people down in North Carolina used to collect peppermint shrimp from areas that were pretty polluted so who knows. Were you planning on removing them to another tank? That may be worse than letting them in your current setup.

Yes, definitely. I'm pretty new to the hobby too and the people here have been great and super helpful!

I think you got the hint about the tangs but I will stress that since you still have NH3 and NO2, you are going through the cycle so don't add anymore livestock until those read zero. Read up on damsels, you might want them out as well.

Good luck!

Ok, I have joining on my to do list :-)

As for the advice on the live stock in the tank now... I will leave them alone then :-)

I planned on not adding anything to the tank until it's cycle, learned that through research... Fingers crossed on them living thorugh the cycle...!

I told my Daughter and she said "oh no" :-( not even 1 yellow tang guys... :-(

Looks like I'm going ot go with clown fish in this tank then... and lots of soft coral.. well maybe not lots I guess I will need advice on that too :-)

I will generate a list of coral I would like to have after I do a little research on the ones I pick.

With that tank I would do clowns and look into some gobies (careful most of them will jump!). That tank would be perfect for showcasing some of the smaller fish that people often overlook/loose in larger stetups.

With that tank I would do clowns and look into some gobies (careful most of them will jump!). That tank would be perfect for showcasing some of the smaller fish that people often overlook/loose in larger stetups.

Well, after reading about the fish jumping... that made me think about should I get a glass lid for the tank?? Where can I find one to fit the 30' Bowfront tank?

Anyone?

Also, I thinking more and more about primarily making this a tank with Clowns, and BTA's and other soft coral... any sugestions on a pack I should shoot for? How many a so forth??

Sacha... I'm only asking to write it down I promise! :laugh: Just want to do a little research on the types I'm going to get in 6 months of corse... wait how can I tell when the tank is ready to get the coral and anemones?

Where did you get the rock you started the tank with? Look at products like Microbacter7 to help cycle the tank faster.

Welcome to the club!

I got the Branch from House of Tropicals

Got the other three pieces from Today's Pet

The Brightwell MicroBacter7... should I still get that even though the cycle is started?

So when I got the Live rock from Tonday's Pet it had one or two (can't tell if it moved or not) of the Aiptasia... will it die durring the cycle? should I get rid of it?

The MB7 will only help. It is not necessary, but it will improve the cycle time (based on how "live" the rock is).

Aptasia's won't die during the cycle, and will prob spread at some point without taking action. I would just remove those rocks if they are small.

lol

So when I got the Live rock from Tonday's Pet it had one or two (can't tell if it moved or not) of the Aiptasia... will it die durring the cycle? should I get rid of it?

they are like the cockroaches of the salt world..not even a cycle can kill them...do yourself a favor and get rid of it right now...