What eats green hair algae best?

sen5241b

I tried a sea hare once a few years ago...I put him in the tank...and never saw him again...but saw all the lovely HA forever LOL....he was so freaking big I have no idea how he just up and disappeared but he did....so I committed to turbos....but if you have any hermits at all forget it about it...they are like crack to hermits for some reason.

I tried a sea hare once a few years ago...I put him in the tank...and never saw him again...but saw all the lovely HA forever LOL....he was so freaking big I have no idea how he just up and disappeared but he did....so I committed to turbos....but if you have any hermits at all forget it about it...they are like crack to hermits for some reason.

I'm sure it's the luck of the draw but I've had ~10 hermits and 5 Mexican Turbos in my tank now for a few months and haven't lost any of either. I guess I'll consider myself lucky? :tongue:

+1 for Mexican turbos. I've on occasion lost ceriths and nassarius to hermits, but never a turbo; I think the size differential has something to do with it (i.e., the turbo shell would be an order of magnitude too large for the hermits to use).

My Chocolate tang keeps everything green cropped back,It even eats some bubble algae!!!

if you have any hermits at all forget it about it...they are like crack to hermits for some reason.

Interesting, so this is where all my snails went! I have seen one hermit sporting a shiny new shell. I didn't realize the little hermits could actually kill snails, I thought one of them just died and the hermit moved in.

Interesting, so this is where all my snails went! I have seen one hermit sporting a shiny new shell. I didn't realize the little hermits could actually kill snails, I thought one of them just died and the hermit moved in.

yep a d contrary to a prior post they love the roominess of the turbo's shells... believe me lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would say a sea hare by far the best then kole tangs is usually what I have had a great deal of success with and I have lost a turbo or 2 to hermit crabs especially the zebra legged ones cause they grow large

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hermits are reef safe only in so far as they are small. I once had 2 hermits each the size of a child's fist. The killed turbos mercilessly.

My daughter brought home a hermit from OBX that we tossed into the tank. I recently realized that it has managed to almost wipe out 2 cleanup crews. I think the less I feed the tank the more snail-murderous it becomes.

I hate to terminate this guy's existence since we took him out of his home, but I can't justify his $100 worth of food!

Anyway, thanks for making this thread, I am once again struggling with this problem which is much worse because almost all my snails are dead!

(edited)

When I just set up the 180 I ordered a snail only crew and when I dumped them in I was watching them and a snail shell high tailed it across the tank and I did a double take...sure enough it was a hermit and it literally ran across my tank and started to try to pick a cerith out of its shell. I immediately reached in and threw it into the 75 since there are a few others in there already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sachabballi reef

My daughter brought home a hermit from OBX that we tossed into the tank. I recently realized that it has managed to almost wipe out 2 cleanup crews. I think the less I feed the tank the more snail-murderous it becomes.

I hate to terminate this guy's existence since we took him out of his home, but I can't justify his $100 worth of food!

Anyway, thanks for making this thread, I am once again struggling with this problem which is much worse because almost all my snails are dead!

Any chance it can live in the sump?

I am thinking of doing this. I have about 30 though.... hahahaha... They will be fidhting each other for everything.

i might keep my left handed zebras in the main DT though.