I got this Quiet One pump about 7 weeks ago....

WTFimnewpump_zps78bd202f.jpg

It's been freakin noisy as hades since day one. The other day it got even worse. Today suddenly it practically screamed bloody murder at me, so I turned it off and took it apart.

I also found out where the mysterious blue plastic thing came from that showed up in my tank a couple days ago....

pumpcasebroken500_zps1cdd3993.jpg

Is my water F-ed up now due to the impeller metal? Could this be why that hoek frag RTNed a couple weeks ago, and why a couple other frags are on their way out? I guess I'll put some carbon in the tank when I get off the computer.

But now I'm back to no pump.

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

I think it is too late to send back to vendor (Pet Solutions). I sent an e-mail with photos to the manufacturer since there is a manufacturer warranty.

... ... just looked at the website - there is a 60 day return policy, so maybe Pet Solutions will take this POS back so I can get some other type of pump!

Edited by treesprite

Good luck with the return of the pump. I agree they are junk! I doubt you will have any issues from the metal in your tank but if you are worried just put in a Poly Filter and it will remove any metals for you.

Quiet one pumos are crap. Go on Grudfos pumps website and look at their chemical resistant pumps. Extremely similar to the old little giant pumps. I had one of these last 25 years!!!!!!

Quiet one pumos are crap. Go on Grudfos pumps website and look at their chemical resistant pumps. Extremely similar to the old little giant pumps. I had one of these last 25 years!!!!!!

I agree the Grundfos pumps are well made and have a proven history of performance. The original Quite One was actually a Grundfos pump and those were great pumps. It was a sad thing that they switched to this plastic junk version. The new Reeflo Blowhole pumps are Grundfos pumps.

Any pump can have a quality control issue its always pays to

take them apart before you use one to check them out.

I had 2 mags and a sedra with bad impellars from the factory

that i caught with a little pre-inspection.

I agree the Grundfos pumps are well made and have a proven history of performance. The original Quite One was actually a Grundfos pump and those were great pumps. It was a sad thing that they switched to this plastic junk version. The new Reeflo Blowhole pumps are Grundfos pumps.

The old little giant pump is a model#CD-42.

basser9, Can you explain what you found so we know what to look for? Any pictures?

I have seen deformed magnets and cracked plastic. If the magnet is swollen at all it will mean trouble sooner or later.

Wow, I'm really shocked they would send out deformed or cracked rotors. I guess that "checked by" sticker is useless. I'll make sure to look at that next time. Thanks!

Thanks for the good advice to check pumps before using them! I will definitely do it next time!

If I put another powerhead in my tank, I could get away with this puny little pump I have in my refugium as the only return, and maybe add in a second puny little pump of the same type which I have (my sump flows to my fuge in a separate tank). But I don't like powerheads and can't afford the ones that can be totally controlled (Vortec?).

Before I go buying any additional equipment, I should consider that I'm taking Gary's un-drilled 90g for which I will have all kinds of plumbing options. Dimensions are the same as 75g but taller. I'll have to post on it later.

I do not understand this at all..........why the heck would anyone use this type of impeller in a pump? Seen this in other pumps such as Eden, same thing, always fail.

It's not like Ferrite is $3,000,000 an ounce - so what's the point?

What Is ferrite

I think it is what they use for the magnet. I agree that the thin strip of magnet around plastic does seem like too much corner cutting, but it seems like what a lot of companies are using.

What Is ferrite

Type of magnet used in many pumps - impervious to rust, requires no plastic coating (which fails). There are several types but I believe the type used in pumps is the ceramic composition.

No clue why anyone would make a saltwater impeller with a plastic coating & a magnet that will rust. Plastic wears, water gets inside, magnet swells = pump fails.

I know rare earth magnets have gone up in price (Tunze switched off them some time ago for mounts)..........but ferrite?

Maybe it's a cost savings but it's pretty much a given they'll fail at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

They are sending a new impeller should be here by now but isn't). Problem is, I don't know if they will automatically send a new shaft with it. Other problem is, I don.t have a way to get the broken end of the shaft with the rubber tip on it, from down in the well.

What Is ferrite

It's the scientific term for Iron (Fe). The word Ferrite is usually used when describing just about any iron (ferrous) magnet. Which is a bit of a misnomer since ferrite magnets are typically an iron alloy.

fwiw:

Koralia informed me that they use neodymium magnets (at least in their 1400s), which have a plastic casing around them. Once that casing cracks or if it has a bad seal, salt water seems to oxidize it well.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Thanks to Fed Ex crappy service, I did not get the replacement impeller until yesterday! Guess what? It's not the right one! So I called the vendor today. According to the manufacturer info, both the Q1 6000 and Q1 4000 use this impeller. But then the vendor guy found something about there being 2 different versions of the Q1 6000 (due to the change in manufacturer/owner). So now I'm waiting for the vendor to get a hold of the manufacturer to find a solution, at which time he's supposed to call me back. If they can't get the impeller they had better send me a whole new pump!

On top of this, a couple weeks ago my skimmer pump started leaking voltage, so I had to shut down the skimmer. I'm waiting for a package in the mail for that. I could only detect the voltage (manually...) in the sump, not the tank.

Edited by treesprite

Pet Solutions got the manufacturer to ship the impeller directly to me. Now the other issue is the impeller shaft. According to customer service, it is still on back order. Then, there is no way to know if it is the correct length to go with the correct impeller.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the impeller model version issue has been solved - I got the correct impeller. But the impeller shaft was on back order. Well, it arrived today and guess what? It doesn't fit this impeller, it's for the impeller they sent in error. I'm so frustrated!