Is this Red Turf Algae?

howaboutme

I am posting some pictures of my LR. I used this to seed my tank and was bought fully cured from a LFS. I'd like to know what's on it, specifically, the red fuzzy stuff scattered around the rock. I can tell there is a sponge on the top left corner and a lot of nice coralline on it. At the one end (see 3rd pic), there is a bleached area that I'm not sure what it is.

So back the first pic, is this red turf algae? I am pretty sure it's not cyano as I cannot get it off with either a turkey baster or a toothbrush.

I did find this old WAMAS thread talking about it:

http://wamas.org/for...red-turf-algae/

First, let me just say that I'm not sure I actually have a problem. I'd just like to stay on top of anything that may be harmful if it continues. My amm, trites have been 0 and trats hoover between 5 and 20, depending on when I do my wc. I just did one tonight. I have heard that red turf likes to grow in high flow areas. There is a ph pointing across this LR.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

post-2633579-0-90987100-1364432855_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-0-18050700-1364432857_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-0-54086800-1364432858_thumb.jpg

post-2633579-0-98283400-1364432859_thumb.jpg

trites i think mean nitrites, right? Not sure what trats are?

the goldenish/reddish stuff looks like diatom algae. How new is your set up?

Sorry, lazy regarding 2 extra letters. Trites=nitrites while trates=nitrates. Tank is about 2 months old and livestock have been in for about 2 weeks.

I have not thought of diatoms. Always thought they were more on the dark green or brown color. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

i think she is referring to the brown stuff that is coating what you called the bleached out area...it looks like diatoms to me as well there. Not sure about the turf algae though...

i think she is referring to the brown stuff that is coating what you called the bleached out area...it looks like diatoms to me as well there. Not sure about the turf algae though...

Oh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

turbos or an emerald crab will take care of it though...

Yeah, I heard about the turbo. My one giant turbo hasn't been on the LR for a while. I guess that's good since there is food elsewhere. As for emerald crab, I need to do some research. I think, like other crabs I guess, if the nutrient levels are low, they will eat corals and other things I don't want it to eat.

I'll keep it eye on my tank since it doesn't seem to be a problem at this time.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Phd in red turf algae. I do not see anything that looks remotely like red turf algae on those rocks.

Well, I'm glad you chimed in! It's good to have some definitive answers at least in regards to red turf algae. I'm beginning to just wonder if it's just part of diatoms but it's so distinct so I'm sure there's a specific name for the red stuff. Either way, it's still not even close to being a problem. I think I actually have less now and it's most certainly not spreading....Thanks!