BRS GFO & CARBON REACTOR - DUAL ANY THOUGHTS?

newtoreef

I need to get a Reactor to help me fight some algae growth in my tank... What Do you guys think about this reactor ? They have on sale for $ 53.99

I have a BRS biopellet reactor, and my understanding is the one you're talking about is essentially siamese twins of the same thing. Basic, simple, does the job.

I prefer a single large reactor with carbon on bottom

nice large sponge then GFO then a big sponge.

Never clogs and way easyer to deal with to me.

The issue with the dual is not as much about it clogging as it about controlling the flow. It's hard to dial in GFO and since it is 2 reactors makes it harder to adjust. I had a single and a dual BRS reactor and they work well, are easy to maintenance, and built amazingly. My complaint is that the hoses they use are not easily plumbed so it was harder to manage. I use 2x Two little fishes phosband 150s and run Carbon in 1 and Biopellets in the other. Works amazingly for me. I run them both on a Ehiem 2000 pump and is very quiet and amazing flow. 0 nitrate, and Phosphate and I feed 2-3 times per day. Hope this helps

I have one that I completely modified, basically made two reactors powered by one pump. I feed mine with a mag three pump. The supply line to the reactors is Y'ed off, each Y leading to a separate shutoff valve. The outlets of the reactors are Y'ed together again, then plumbed back into my sump.

Mine still clogs, but if you change your media every couple weeks, you'll be fine; it does the job. For the money I spent on the reactor, pump, and additional push-fittings, I would probably go in a different direction. Matter for fact, I won't be using one on my next build.