?? change filter socks and skimmer goes crazy, why??

pizzaguy

I just changed my filter socks out and my skimmer is overflowing like crazy, why is that. And before you ask I emptied the cup so nothing went in the tank.

There is a residue that you must first wash out of a new filter sock before putting into your tank. I've made the same mistake. Never harmed my tank and will go away eventually

These are used socks and I've changed them many times its just this time my skimmer went crazy. And I didn't change anything in the way I do it. And nothing got on the socks as there hung up until next use after washing.

the magic number is 3!! 3 times in the washing machine on a hot cycle. problem gone. make sure you wash with bleach for the 1st cycle and 2 hot water only.

Yep, I do the same thing. Hot water with bleach and an extra hot water rinse cycle. No problems here either. Maybe there was some leftover "something" in the washer this time before you washed them?

Gotcha. My regimen has been first wash on sanitary cycle which is super hot water for 1.5 hours with bleach. After that's done I run a rinse and spin cycle then hang to air dry. Are you recommending add a 3rd rinse cycle? And thanks for the insight.

Do you all run a rinse cycle or anything in the washer with nothing in it before the filter socks?

Do you all run a rinse cycle or anything in the washer with nothing in it before the filter socks?

I don't, but I usually wash late at night, several hours after the last regular load has been done. Your regimen is a bit more thorough than mine, I just use whitest whites on my washer, which is 60 minutes total with the extra rinse built into the cycle.

I have a "sterilize" mode on my washer which takes 90min. I wash once with bleach and 2 with nothing. I have 8 filter socka so that the eye poke is spread out to abouy every other month

Every other month, please elaborate.

I circulate mine in a bucket of water and bleach for 24 hours, then full rinse it out with a high-pressure shower head on the "stream" setting. From there I soak it in vinegar for about an hour to loosen up any calcareous blockage and to dissolve away any chlorine gas which may remain in it (in the bathroom with the door shut and the vent fan on, don't breath it in). After an hour I give it another rinse and let it air dry.

I've found that the most important part to getting the full life from the sock is doing both the bleach and the vinegar to free up organic and calcareous blockage. The most important part in keeping it from affecting the protein skimmer is going to be rinsing with the high-pressure hose because it pushes out any potential detergent.

If you guys are having trouble getting your filter socks white again, try rinsing with a super dose of prime or other strong dechlorinator. Helps remove the dirt and the bleach thats stuck to it.

Sean

If you guys are having trouble getting your filter socks white again, try rinsing with a super dose of prime or other strong dechlorinator. Helps remove the dirt and the bleach thats stuck to it.

Sean

Yep ! I do this....works great!

I bought about 30 from BRS at a price of about 4 bucks each....I think they were on sale. I just toss them after 2 weeks. I figure an investment of 130 dollars is going to last me about 15 months.

There is NO need to use bleach for cleaning your filter socks. Wash them 3 times and they are ready for use. Bleach adds a step that can cause some serious issues if you forgot to declor or completely wash it out. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

There is NO need to use bleach for cleaning your filter socks. Wash them 3 times and they are ready for use. Bleach adds a step that can cause some serious issues if you forgot to declor or completely wash it out. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

I agree with you Chris, I don't care if they are a little dingy, although my wife seems to and has bleached them a couple of times. I change them twice a week so if I tossed them like miggs76 I'd be in the poor house 4 per week = $64/mo ouch.

If you really want me to save them for you

I agree with you Chris, I don't care if they are a little dingy, although my wife seems to and has bleached them a couple of times. I change them twice a week so if I tossed them like miggs76 I'd be in the poor house 4 per week = $64/mo ouch.

If you really want me to save the dirty ones for you I can.....It's just easier for me to toss them and use a new one since my tank is clean enough that I really only need to change them twice a month.

Edited by miggs76

I let mine soak in hot bleach water for about half an hour then run wash cycle then let them set a couple of minutes in the rinse cycle with dechlorinator than rinse cycle. I have had no issues