DIY 30 Gallon Breeder Sump

Oprah Wrangler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-GAL-L-REFUGIUM-KIT-30-x-12-x13-custom-protein-skimmer-sump-aquarium-filter-/181080438976?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D5774251816439103180%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D181080438976%26

I ordered one of these kits,custom cut for a 30 gallon breeder. It should arrive today. Tomorrow I will hopefully put together my very first (successful) sump/refugium. I tried using baffles that are pressure locked into the sump on a previous tank and it failed miserably. (those things were really wedged in there too) I will update this with pictures when the package arrives and then again as I put it all together. Thanks for following along.

Well, the package just arrived at my job and the packing is incredible. All of the is professionally shrink wrapped, elevated in the box by the two sponges that are also protecting the bulk head. The two filter socks are strategically place to add additional support and protection. Lastly, the whole configuration is wrapped in bubble wrap. VERY secure and safe packing. and will post a picture as soon as work settles down.

Well, the weekend has been busy, busy, busy but I should have some photos tonight of the completed project. I also got the skeleton of my new stand built. All that is left is to skin it and move the tank over to the new stand.

Well here are the pics. I am sure that I used way to much sealant but I have read that for plexi to glass connections heavy is better. I wont be leaving my day job and going into aquarium construction, that's for sure...lol

post-2632637-136188942262_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188944608_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188946565_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188950001_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188952349_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188955626_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-136188960901_thumb.jpg

post-2632637-13618899934_thumb.jpg

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Oprah Wrangler

Yup, I planned ahead for my skimmer and other equipment. So here is the context. This sump is currently going on my 30 gallon breeder DT. We will be upgrading to a 57 gallon rimless down the line and I am trying to be a forward thinker and design things now so that the 57 gallon is plug and play. At least I think I am being a forward thinker. Please feel free to share if you think that I am setting myself up for something.

That's a cool product offering...looking forward to the 57G Rimless build :)

Your tank, and the fact that it shares a foot print with the breeder, are the reason why I decided my end goal would be a 57g rimless. It will be down the line a ways however. Thanks for following along.

Glad I could provide some inspiration...

What are you plans with the three bulkheads on the sump?

No plans so far. Just pluggin them but will see what happens. You have an idea you would like to share?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

LOL Give it a good day or two to cure. 24 hour minimum - but check out the instructions for the silicone to be sure before you go putting pressure on them.

I noticed that it looks VERY clean - nice job there too :)

No plans so far. Just pluggin them but will see what happens. You have an idea you would like to share?

I always thought it would be nice to incorporate a feature in plumbing a tank that would allow for easy water change...A simple T coupler and valve would work on either the drain or return lines...thought you may have been doing something like that with the bulkheads...I like the way your plan for your upgrade/expandability/change now and instead of on an operating system. Kudos to you.

I always thought it would be nice to incorporate a feature in plumbing a tank that would allow for easy water change...A simple T coupler and valve would work on either the drain or return lines...thought you may have been doing something like that with the bulkheads...I like the way your plan for your upgrade/expandability/change now and instead of on an operating system. Kudos to you.

It is funny that you mention that. Just before I logged on to check my thread, I was thinking about that very thing. You must be a mind reader, quick, what number am I thinking of???