RED SEA SALT VS REA SEA CORAL PRO

reef addict

Hello everyone. Does anyone use red sea salt and or red sea coral pro? Not sure if they are the same. I've used red sea coral pro before and one thing I don't like is that when you mix it could get cloudy. I have to aeriate mine before using it.

Appreiciate any advice.

I use red sea coral pro, but I am switching....it mixes at a very high alk (12) and throws off my numbers when I do a big water change....

I don't use Red Sea salt. Howver, this link over at RC summarizes key parameters of various common salt mixes which you might find useful.

Many salts initially mix up a little cloudy. Sometimes, it's just gasses that are released from the dry material and sometimes just microparticles that take a little while to dissolve. That's not unusual and it normally clears up in an hour or so. If it's staying cloudy much longer than that, the mix may have not been stored correctly or may have become damp.

Red Sea Salt and Red Sea Coral Pro are not the same salt, Coral Pro has much higher levels for Ca, Mg and Alk than the Red Sea Salt. I use the regular Red Sea Salt, it mixes up fairly quickly and has levels of Alk, Calc and Mg that work for me. My corals are looking better than they ever did with IO so I can't argue. There is something to be said for putting a 1/2 cup per gallon of salt into the water and having it test at 1.025-1.026 every time instead of the 1.021 that IO gave me

. There are LFS that carry the Coral Pro but none in the area, that I know of, that carry the regular Red Sea Salt so to get it you have to order it from a LFS, order it online or go to That Fish Place.

I just got my order of Red Sea pro, mixed it last night. Haven't tested the levels yet. But it dissolved super fast and was easy to use.

Red Sea Salt and Red Sea Coral Pro are not the same salt, Coral Pro has much higher levels for Ca, Mg and Alk than the Red Sea Salt. I use the regular Red Sea Salt, it mixes up fairly quickly and has levels of Alk, Calc and Mg that work for me. My corals are looking better than they ever did with IO so I can't argue. There is something to be said for putting a 1/2 cup per gallon of salt into the water and having it test at 1.025-1.026 every time instead of the 1.021 that IO gave me

. There are LFS that carry the Coral Pro but none in the area, that I know of, that carry the regular Red Sea Salt so to get it you have to order it from a LFS, order it online or go to That Fish Place.

+1k

I normally use Tropic Marin Bio, I think that I will give RSS Pro a shot. Instead of going to LFS I will just get it from (ridethedicati) :laugh:

One thing to keep in mine about RED SEA SALT it is different then the other salts we put in our tanks.

When they tested all the major brands of salt only RSS had high levels of DOC.

DOC builds up in most aquariums and if you run any type of biopellets theres a reasonable chance

your DOC can reach a toxic level if you are doing water changes with RRS.

DOC= Dissolved Organic Carbon

Btw ,I use Red Sea Coral Pro and my corals love it.Ive seen best results from NeoMarine but RSCP is comparable and cheaper.

Edited by DDiver

I meant TOC[total organic compounds-carbons] as thats what tested .

RSS is made from dried rea sea seawater so it has organic compounds[carbons] in it

unlike synthetic saltwater mixes.

Heres a chart done on Sanjays 500 gallon system that measured the TOC levels in his reef

tank over 2 30 day periods.

The test was on 2 types of skimmers and his toc levels and as you can see there were

rises in the toc that one could see where water changes with RRS and biopellets

would more then likely cause a problem long term.

This is really 1 of only a couple of experiments ever done on TOC levels and reef tank

and should bring home to anyone with a reef tank that Very heavy skimming is very important

as is not adding any unnecessary carbons to your tank.

post-1561-0-77488500-1359094737_thumb.jpg

@basser, that is interesting, however I couldn't find anything online that would support it. Was the only change contributing to the rise of doc was the change in salt mix?

I normally use Tropic Marin Bio, I think that I will give RSS Pro a shot. Instead of going to LFS I will just get it from (ridethedicati) :laugh:

That would be tough to get it from Tony since he doesn't use the RS Coral PRO unless he's changed salts with the new 300DD. He's the one that put me onto the Red Sea Salt.

That would be tough to get it from Tony since he doesn't use the RS Coral PRO unless he's changed salts with the new 300DD. He's the one that put me onto the Red Sea Salt.

I do not use the PRO version because the Alkalinity is too high. The "regular" version is more acceptable for my reefing philosophy.