Eductors -- Opinions Wanted

Jason Rhoads

I am looking for opinions/ experiences using eductors.

I am in the process of building an under sand closed loop and am debating using eductors on some of the outlets. In this application the flow from the CLS will be supplementary and only on for a few hours throughout the day so the eductor is not totally necessary. But, extra flow that costs no electricity sounds like a whole lot of win :cool:

Main tank turnover will be through power heads set up to create a gyre effect.

Eductors suck water from around the tip. If they are mounted low, they will pick up sand. You also need a pressure rated pump to get the type of results people are reporting (4-6x flow). I have never used one myself because I don't care much for high velocity flow and prefer wide circulation pumps

If the eductors are going to be sticking out of the sand bed I don't think I would like that look unless you can hide them.

With the footprint of the CLS the outlets (right now 3/4" Loc-Line) will be hidden among the rock work (hopefully, none of this is built yet :sad: )

Eductors suck water from around the tip. If they are mounted low, they will pick up sand. You also need a pressure rated pump to get the type of results people are reporting (4-6x flow). I have never used one myself because I don't care much for high velocity flow and prefer wide circulation pumps

Good point here. I had not considered the fact that I would be creating what equates to 6 sandblasters in my tank. I am glad I posted this before going out and buying the equipment!