ADA 90-P Barebottom Reef

Omair

ADA 90-P Barebottom Reef

8410040176_31bb847a4b.jpg

Tank Dimensions: 36"x18"x18"

Fill Date: 01/22/2013

Aquascape: 65 +/- lbs of BRS Tonga Dry Rock

Filteration: EHEIM 7122 /w Cal Aqua Labs Glass Lily Pipes (Mechanical/Bio Filteration + Carbon)

Lighting: (1) ECOTECH Radion XR30w

Circulation: (2) ECOTECH MP10W

Heating: Hydor 300W In Line Heater

Skimmer: Gnome Glass 52mm Airstone Skimmer (Tetra Whisper 40 Air Pump)

Maintenance: Algae Free Hammerhead

Hello folks, I wanted to start a journal of the progress of my current build, an ADA 90-P barebottom reef tank. Let's hope this one lasts longer then all of my other "build" attempts. :) This setup is sitting on a 72"x24"x24" Steel Frame that I had powder coated. I plan to have an ADA 55-C (22"x22"x22") cube right next to this tank in the future. The 55-C will be a Clown/Anemone/Softy tank.

My goal for this build is a very clean, streamlined setup. Minimal maintenance if possible. This build does not have a sump, but I might upgrade to a sump in the future with the 55-C. It all depends on if the EHEIM 7122 and the Gnome Glass Airstone skimmer are up to snuff in maintaining a heavy bio-load in this tank.

I'm not too happy with the aquascape, so I might end up moving it around somewhat for a cleaner look. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've dosed BIO SPIRA in order to kick start the cycle. I will be monitoring the chemistry over the next few weeks to see how it handles.

The skimmer will be here this Friday, and I look forward to sharing the setup of the new glass skimmer with everyone. Gnome usually only makes skimmers up to 44mm, but the 52mm is a newer model that he is working on releasing. I hope this larger skimmer design, in conjunction with the EHEIM 7122 Filter, will help keep my water quality high for superb SPS growth.

Thank you,

Omair

Edited by Omair

ITS SOOOOOO PRETTY!!!!!

Thank you! :)

Nice. How high is that waterline. Looks really high from the pic

It is, I topped off a bit higher then I should have. It should recede from evaporation. I'm working on an ATO, perhaps an Elos Osmocontroller?

I like my avast nano ATO.. havent seen the Elos though...

Since I do not have a sump, I need something that is very low profile and easy to manage. I might look into the Avast ATO and see what the footprint is.

I LOVE ADA tanks! I used to have one. So clean!!!! For ATO nothing beats a tunze osmo. The Elos is a pain to use.

I've heard a lot of good feedback on the Tunze, I'll definitely look into that.

I thought it was a misprint, but now I know what a ADA is and I want one. Sweet tank Omari I have heard a lot about you.

(edited)
I thought it was a misprint, but now I know what a ADA is and I want one. Sweet tank Omari I have heard a lot about you.

Thanks bud! I'm REALLY impressed with the build quality of the ADA, highly recommend it. Very pricey though in comparison to their competitors - Mr. Aqua, but the high clarity glass and silicone work is superb.

Where did u pick up the ADA? And are they tempered or can they be drilled?

http://www.adgshop.com/

None of the glass panels are tempered, they can all be drilled.

rockwork looks pretty crazy.

Is that good or bad? :)

Nice tank. You will love the ADA tank. I have the 120-P and love it. Great build quality and very nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

If you ever plan to sell the 120-P let me know! :)

Edited by Omair

Looks good. 1 LED lighting, is that enough?

Actually I'm not too sure about that. I don't think it is and I probably need another Radion to get proper coverage. I'll end up finding another to purchase in a week or two.

Rockwork looks a little weird now but I bet it will be stunning once you have corals all over it.

Love those dimensions.

(edited)

Gnome Glass Skimmer Update!

I have to say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with the build quality on this little skimmer! The glass is thick and seems very solid. The work is intricate. I couldn't be more happy with the build quality - and how clean it looks in my ADA tank! Now lets see how this baby performs! I have it hooked up to a Tetra Whisper 40 with T and bleed off valve to regulate the air flow.

8414360495_ea98ef0327.jpg

8414360847_85f76022b9.jpg

8414360741_3c2b12493c.jpg

Edited by Omair

It's very pretty. I really want to do a build like this with a clear glass full height overflow with clear PVC standpipes on my non-drilled rimless tank but everyone I talk to says it will be crazy hard to keep it all clean.

I've never seen the regimen required to maintain photo-quality cleanliness in one of these all glass ADA type builds in a planted tank, and I'm really interested in watching how yours looks over time.

• 1 month later...

Very nice.

(edited)

Sump setup, what do you think? Not sure if the Avast CS-2 is working that well; not much foaming action right now. I hope everything is ok.

8563418518_d0d9b1307b_z.jpg

Sump looks a little cloudy because of the new Seachem media.

8563418680_22f344bbc2_z.jpg

Edited by Omair