Tank is still cloudy

MBVette

So for the last 3 weeks my tank has been very cloudy and I just cant figure it out. At first I went on the assumption it was a bacteria bloom, but being that it has been so long with no improvement I am not sure anymore.

I have been testing a lot and everything is coming back perfect. 0 ammonia, phosphates and nitrates. The other day I started using filter socks in case the cloudiness was due to something in the water column. But the socks have not helped anything. I have also stopped doing water changes in hopes that it would help if it was a bacteria bloom.

All of the fish and inverts are doing well, eating a ton and swimming so I dont think its a real issue with the water; but the cloudiness is getting old.

Here are a couple pics of the tank, its hard to tell just how cloudy it is. But if the fish are all the way in the back of the tank you can barely see them.

cloudyright_zps50ac4a28.jpg

cloudyleft_zpsa09e0ca3.jpeg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you adding 2 or 3 part? Maybe you've got some precipitate forming?

That was my question....since the tank is so new and you dont have a big demand for calcium right now....

Nope I dont dose anything. Im reading about bio-pellets causing cloudiness right now.

I am running probably 750ml of atb biopellets right now. Should I just take half of them out? I am afraid to take it off line b/c all that will do is cause a bloom whenever I turn it back on in the future.

They say 500ml of pellets for 100g on the site.

turn off the carbon and biopellets.

I think overall you rushed the tank. Fish were in too soon, i think they all died off ( now it looks like you got a bunch in there again) Dont know if the tank was ready for that kind of load, then you had algea break out. I would stop any dosing, turn off the biopellets, cut back on the lights a little and wait a week. test and see where you are at. I understand it is in the lobby but you can't rush things.

Edited by rocko918

turn off the carbon and biopellets.

I think overall you rushed the tank. Fish were in too soon, i think they all died off, then you had algea break out. I would stop any dosing, turn off the biopellets, cut back on the lights a little and wait a week. test and see where you are at. I understand it is in the lobby but you can rush things.

1 group of fish died, but the first fish I put in are still alive and well. And all fish after that are all alive and well. I think it was something with that group of fish more than an issue with the tank that caused the fish to die.

Is it suspended particles or a milky cloudiness?

What and how are you dosing calcium/alk to the tank?

I dont think it is suspended particles as I dont see anything floating and the socks I just put on dont seem to be helping at all. I also dont dose anything

Good point by Bob. I was thinking not enough bacteria to handle the bio load?

Good point by Bob. I was thinking not enough bacteria to handle the bio load?

Which is what I thought. But wouldnt the bloom have died off by now? 3 weeks seems like a long time for a bacteria bloom

Take them offline and rinse them in rodi. Rinse them well again before using them. I generally soak them in rodi for a couple of hours before using them even when the pellets are new.

Edited by Jim

ok I just took the biopellets offline. And now the mag 5 just feeds directly into the skimmer. Hopefully this will clear the water up. When the water clears up should I start slowly putting the pellets back online, and how should I introduce them?

I would leave the BP's offline for a while (like 2 months)...especially since the tank is so new. What kind of skimmer and how much live rock to you have ( i know the rock is new, correct?)