stand question

jimlin

ok so i decided to use foam for the bottom. it has several support pieces at the bottom, so i think the foam will be able to support the 20 gallon sump.20130113_215630_zpsbf85d9d9.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got the rest of the supplies from lowes. something must be wrong with their blade because all the boards were cut at a weird angle. they cut it rather fast as well even though i said it was for furniture.20130118_153534_zps8f9a978a.jpg

got the rest of the supplies from lowes. something must be wrong with their blade because all the boards were cut at a weird angle. they cut it rather fast as well even though i said it was for furniture

Don't think it's the blade....

Do yourself a favor and measure and cut your own pieces. Not to slam home depot or Lowes, but I've never gotten an accurate cut from either establishment (this is also based on the presumption that you can find somebody who's even willing to cut.) You're going to want as accurate as possible with an aquarium stand. Do yourself a favor and save the headache, having to go back, maybe buying double what you need, and just overall unnecessary grief.

And the stand looks great! How long did it take you after all is said and done?

Edited by YHSublime

i think i will cut my own from now on. they forced me to buy a jig saw. i also had to use wood filler for the pieces that were cut too short. took me about two hours to put all the panels on which includes cutting and trips to the store. i am currently staining it. had to redo it because i did not mix the stain with the filler and noticed the filler was not taking the stain. sanded it back down and re filled with mix of filler and stain. going to sand it down after the filler dries and put on one last coat of stain and then a bunch of sealers. not going to work on the doors until i get to hawaii.

i think i will cut my own from now on. they forced me to buy a jig saw. i also had to use wood filler for the pieces that were cut too short. took me about two hours to put all the panels on which includes cutting and trips to the store.

I think that's a great idea. Again, not a big fan of getting wood cut at these big hardware stores. I would have recommended a circular saw, I can't imagine what you would need a jigsaw for? Good news is, they are pretty good about returns, I'd swing it on back there way and either return it, or switch it out for something more practical.

wow, did not know that. thought once cut =no returns. used the jig saw to cut the wood that were too long. not very good, but then again this is the first wood project im doing and dont know what the proper toolto use anyways.

Yup jigsaw is for cutting curves not straight lines. I think he was suggesting you return the saw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD