stand question

jimlin

so i have the frame for a stand measuring 48 x 20 which will be used to support 2 of my 24 gallon cubes. i need to put wood on top to support the two tanks. what kind of wood should i use and what kind of sealant should i use to make it somewhat water resistant? I also want to put boards on the front and sides. do i use the same board used on the top for the sides?

any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I built my stand with 1/2" plywood on top, and 1/4" plywood on the front/sides. Here's a pic:

IMG_20121030_200830-1.jpg

I stained and put a couple coats of polyurethane to protect from water spillage.

The thickness is really just personal preference. The frame is what will hold all the weight, the plywood doesn't add a whole lot more structural stability. Thinner wood is easier to cut and carry around. 3/4" plywood will be beefy but will double the weight of your stand.

I used 3/4 inch oak veneer on mine. A little more expensive but the finished product is well worth an extra 25 or 30 bucks.

how can you tell the difference between real plywood and particle boards? I googled veneers and it looks like a sticker type sheet that goes over the plywood. is that correct? Is the veneer waterproof?

Home depot or Lowe's. It's all labeled very well. Osb and particle is basically sawdust or scrap wood glued together. If it gets wet it will crumble. You will see the oak plywood at both stores. Although its not waterproof it will hold up a lot better.

great, looks like ill be buying oak plywood since my wife wants it to look really nice. she even said no to particle board from our conversation a couple of days ago. i will have home depot cut it to size for me. i will probably need to buy sand paper as well to smooth out the cuts.

When you ask the associate to cut your plywood, ask them to please go slow as you are using it to make furniture. Some of them get in a hurry and will rip the plywood as fast as possible leaving you a rough cut. I know this because I worked at Home Depot for 4 years (I tried to go slow) but I know sometimes the associates just want to get you out of there.

i dont own any tools. guess that means a longer than average project stand haha. the guy who is suppose to help me with this deployed so i am stuck doing it by myself.

I made due with only an 18v cordless drill for years. If you were to buy an 18V RYOBI from Home Depot, plus a countersink bit, you should be all set for this project. (18v not needed, but nice to have)

I made due with only an 18v cordless drill for years. If you were to buy an 18V RYOBI from Home Depot, plus a countersink bit, you should be all set for this project. (18v not needed, but nice to have)

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100519984&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053 this one? and http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100116885/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ryobi+counter+sink+bit&storeId=10051

i dont own any tools. guess that means a longer than average project stand haha. the guy who is suppose to help me with this deployed so i am stuck doing it by myself.

I would keep that hush hush!! Lol I think I own everything except a planer. I don't do a lot of woodworking but I thouroughly enjoy it. Also work on cars a lot. Toy can never have to many tools.

I would keep that hush hush!! Lol I think I own everything except a planer. I don't do a lot of woodworking but I thouroughly enjoy it. Also work on cars a lot. Toy can never have to many tools.

i work on my car a lot too, i go to the hobby shop at bolling. cost $5 an hour to use the rack and rent tools. never worked with wood before. maybe i should check out the wood shop at andrews afb.

LOL i have everything except a planer, belt sander and lathe... all of which are on my christmas list for next year....hoping my uncle feels the love and gives me his old tools when he gets new ones next year (hes a furniture maker)

Base has a full wood shop. They will assist you. Remember wood shop days in HS

I know that base has a great shop to work on cars, if the woodshop is anything the same it's probably awesome. Do yourself a favor and measure and cut your own pieces. Not to slam home depot or Lowes, but I've never gotten an accurate cut from either establishment (this is also based on the presumption that you can find somebody who's even willing to cut.) You're going to want as accurate as possible with an aquarium stand. Do yourself a favor and save the headache, having to go back, maybe buying double what you need, and just overall unnecessary grief. I also have all the tools, even though I'm a little bit further away, you're welcome to borrow.

Edited by YHSublime