manifold building for dummies needed

sachabballi reef

I need to build a manifold for our new tank....is there a secret to this or does anyone know a good link to look at/watch to learn the best way to build? google seems to be a bust on the topic

Husband and I have zero clue where to start :huh:

I have to admit I had no idea what an aquarium manifold was...until I googled it. I still don't know, but the way I've built everything else is to copy someone else's. Perhaps others can help.

A manifold is a way of configuring pipe to power multiple components using a single pump. For example, you could use your average pump and power the return, the skimmer feed, and a reactor or 2.

You'll need to size your pump accordingly to take in the head loss from using multiple valves and hard angles (90's and T's). You can also use orifices to increase pressure too.

If using a manifold to power many things, you might consider having a backup pump because when the pump breaks, all of the components go down too.

Edited by zygote2k

Laura! You have a manifold!

I think a manifold makes it sound more compliated than it really is, it is just a series of Y's and T's with valves. If possible, use Y's instead of T's because T's will significantly decrease your pumps output amount.

Edited by L8 2 RISE

HOLY COW>>>>now THAT"s what I need....lol...that's even better than instructions for a dummy....if only I was good at using the GPS to get to the store....but that's another thread altogether.... :tongue:

Saw this not to long ago at BRK, if you dont feel like building one you can just pick one of these up. I think it was around 20 bucks.

photo-1.jpg

That is a nice one from BRK, but they are very easy to build as well. You don't necessarily need a gate valve one each line (as pictured), I just use regular valve from HD/Lowe's. Big picture, it is multiple pipes coming of the return pipe with each containing a valve (positioned wherever convenient for your system). Once u fire it up, you simply tighten/loosen the valves to get the desired flow to each component. If building one, I'd suggest adding a line or two that is capped with a union so that you can later add other reactors etc. as desired without having to re-plumb everything.

Yay! Now that I know what it is, I do indeed have one! Thanks Zygote and Sam.

Sachabballi, what do you need your manifold for and what pump are you using?

Yay! Now that I know what it is, I do indeed have one! Thanks Zygote and Sam.

Sachabballi, what do you need your manifold for and what pump are you using?

I need it to connect a 180g 75g and a 40g frag tank via Water Blaster HY 16,000 Circulating Water Pump plus anything else I can piggy back on...gfo etc...

for a super clean install, you can check out irrigation system manifolds. i'm running one on the return for my frag tanks. here's what it looks like pieced together.

manifoldmonki_zps54d976b0.jpg

it's extra nice because they are male buttress ends so no teflon/PVC tape and joint sealer mess, you can get in dual, triplet, or quad manifold configuration in various IDs. then you add the BRS reducer fitting to go straight from the cepex ball valves to your reactors .5" rubing. or a threaded male barb connection to your chiller or hose for water change.

i got mine from sprinkler warehouse online and they run about 10 bucks for just the manifold. they usually have a coupon code floating around, too!

Edited by monkiboy

for a super clean install, you can check out irrigation system manifolds. i'm running one on the return for my frag tanks. here's what it looks like pieced together.

manifoldmonki_zps54d976b0.jpg

it's extra nice because they are male buttress ends so no teflon/PVC tape and joint sealer mess, you can get in dual, triplet, or quad manifold configuration in various IDs. then you add the BRS reducer fitting to go straight from the cepex ball valves to your reactors .5" rubing. or a threaded male barb connection to your chiller or hose for water change.

i got mine from sprinkler warehouse online and they run about 10 bucks for just the manifold. they usually have a coupon code floating around, too!

wow that is sharp looking!! Thanks so much for that information!!

Now it is true that if I have a quad I can only really use 3 of them? I kinda wanted to be able to use 5 connections off the one pump if possible....

wow that is sharp looking!! Thanks so much for that information!!

Now it is true that if I have a quad I can only really use 3 of them? I kinda wanted to be able to use 5 connections off the one pump if possible....

if you have the room for a manifold that long and a pump with enough flow to support all your connected components, then sounds awesome. just hook up a quad to a dual or a triple and a triple. i'd always have an extra just for another reactor or a chiller or something down the road.

oh, and don't waste money on barb fitting to an adapter. they have different sized barb buttress connections that are more affordable and a cleaner and less cumbersome look, too.

MS-075IA-2.jpg

what's a male buttress end that requires no pvc sealant or teflon tape?

well, when a female buttress really likes a male pipe thread, she will screw right on and they will have a seal that will never break because there's a circle of trust between them.

no BUTT in all seriousness, there's an o-ring for sealing much like a cepex ball-valve end.

MS-100X075-4_zps145a6089.jpg

if you have the room for a manifold that long and a pump with enough flow to support all your connected components, then sounds awesome. just hook up a quad to a dual or a triple and a triple. i'd always have an extra just for another reactor or a chiller or something down the road.

oh, and don't waste money on barb fitting to an adapter. they have different sized barb buttress connections that are more affordable and a cleaner and less cumbersome look, too.

yes I have all the equipment behind the wall of my tank in the basement so plenty of room to spread out...thanks again for all your help...that was a fantastic idea

yes I have all the equipment behind the wall of my tank in the basement so plenty of room to spread out...thanks again for all your help...that was a fantastic idea

awesome! don't forget if you use a check valve, that it should be upstream (after the manifold) so that the siphon stops from allowing water into your connected items like reactors that will continue to be supplied water into the sump if your outlet of reactor goes to the sump.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know where to get the type of manifold that's pictured above? I've been all over that website, but I don't see them selling that type with those valves anymore.

Sent from my iPhone

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know where to get the type of manifold that's pictured above? I've been all over that website, but I don't see them selling that type with those valves anymore.

hi bmax. the valves are bought were you typically buy your regular OTS valves. the ones i used in the photo are cepex ball valves from BRS. you buy the manifold and fittings from the irrigation warehouse or similar. if you need more help specifically piecing it together, let me know via PM and i'lll walk through your set up with you and help you assemble one. i've helped a few other members lately with the same thing so funny you bumping this thread will likely be a good thing - thanks!

Ohhhhh, well now it make sense (lol)! Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'm getting ready to do some plumbing on a 180 build (still need to start that thread) and was looking up info on manifolds. I'll go ahead and order it and also the supplies I need from BRS. I'll probably need some help; so, thanks for the offer!

plan it and draw it out so you are sure to get everything you need to take into consideration all pumps you will use, how many reactors, chillers, frag tanks and anything being fed off of it and what ID measurements in pipe or hose they require. what reducers or bushings you may need, if a barb fitting or slip fitting might be easier off the manifold and valves. that way you don't have to make extra runs and have all the gear from each place you need when you're all excited to put it together ;)

eager to see your thread when you get around to it for an update and plans! glad to have you on board!

WOW! You're good. Thanks for bringing those additional details to my attention. You can never be too prepared!

Sent from my iPhone