Chad's 195 total gallon VB garage build

Chad

I'm sorry for the losses, also, Chad. It's always disheartening but it sounds like you're moving beyond it. Hopefully all will be back on track again soon. Sounds like your LFS there has earned your loyalty. Great customer relations.

Velvet sucks. Hits hard and fast once most of us get our first inkling that it's there.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for the losses, also, Chad. It's always disheartening but it sounds like you're moving beyond it. Hopefully all will be back on track again soon. Sounds like your LFS there has earned your loyalty. Great customer relations.

Velvet sucks. Hits hard and fast once most of us get our first inkling that it's there.

+1 Pretty above and beyond for the store to do that, especially with pricey fish like borbs.  Sorry about your losses.  The tank looked spectacular with all those anthias.

man that does suck. sorry for the huge loss but with such awesome service from your LFS, i guess it's not as disheartening as it could be. did you have wild-caught clowns in this system? do you plan to prophylactically treat this time around or extend your QT time period? eager to see your progress once again!

Marco, honestly, I don't know if I'll change anything or not... I've put a lot of thought into it and still don't know where I come down.  No, there weren't any wild caught clowns in the system (at least not recently, I did have a group of wc clowns years ago...).  I don't know for sure that it was brook (from pictures it looks too similar to velvet to easily discern), but the speed was just something else.  Eat normallyone morning, 100% dead the next evening.  I may lengthen the QT period but since the tank is fallow, I may do the same thing again with a longer FW dip.

Yes, that LFS earned my loyalty and respect as a customer.

(edited)

Marco, honestly, I don't know if I'll change anything or not... I've put a lot of thought into it and still don't know where I come down.  No, there weren't any wild caught clowns in the system (at least not recently, I did have a group of wc clowns years ago...).  I don't know for sure that it was brook (from pictures it looks too similar to velvet to easily discern), but the speed was just something else.  Eat normallyone morning, 100% dead the next evening.  I may lengthen the QT period but since the tank is fallow, I may do the same thing again with a longer FW dip.

Yes, that LFS earned my loyalty and respect as a customer.

i hear yea but a longer freshwater dip isn't the answer. like dave suggests, copper is the way to go. i have had great success with cupramine. freshwater dips can help remove the trophonts but not all which means fish can still have the disease afterwards. the freshwater dips are also more stressful to fish than a cupramine regime and if the fw dips are done incorrectly which is easy to do, kill the fish. and in order to use fw dips for marine velvet you're going to want to do at least three, three days apart, for five minutes, which only makes the process more stressful for the fish.

in regards to brook, i guess that's the scary thing about it, it can live on in your tank even after the infected fish have been removed. if you have formalin, great. personally, formalin being a carcinogenic gives me the hebeegeebees and i stick with paraguard baths instead which also contains malachite green and has worked well for me with three baths total, one performed every other day.

this kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time but when you get hit with velvet or brook, like you said, it is so fast moving and devastating it's nearly impossible to catch in time and really makes a case for prophylactic treatment done correctly to ensure your best chances of success.

Edited by monkiboy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...