best product to avoid flood when making RO/DI

sachabballi reef

I am famous in my house for causing pretty good flooding every time I turn on the RO/DI to make water. What is the best product out there to help me when I forget to turn the water off? Is there some kind of float switch that when the barrel is full it will auto turn off the water supply?

thanks!!

Jenn

I use the float valve from air, water & ice hooked to the end of the line. You have to have a ASOV, Auto Shut off Valve on the RO/DI unit to make it shut off the water to the unit.

Bath tub.

Thats a good idea.

I use the float valve from air, water & ice hooked to the end of the line. You have to have a ASOV, Auto Shut off Valve on the RO/DI unit to make it shut off the water to the unit.

I think this is a more universal solution. I think some of the LFSs carry the shut off valves and floats. BRS sells the kit I believe. Havent had a flood since installing this. Plus you waste less water. Once your container is full the ASOV shuts off water entering the system.

Edited by onux20

Bath tub.

yep...that used to be where I did it but then we moved and I was able to install a slop sink behind the wall where the tank was and have the RO/DI directly into the plumbing and now I have to be "responsible" and remember to turn the water back off :huh:

Thanks so much for the advice....off to BRS site to order....its easier to pay for more gear than get yelled at all the time

I use a float valve in my ATO barrel, and a solenoid valve on a timer for the RO/DI unit. The unit has a ASOV built in as well (BRS Plus RO/DI system). Redundancy. Never had a flood this way.

RODI auto shut off kit fro BRS.

I have a similar kit and it saved multiple times from flood. So every time I run my RODI, I've also set my phone alarm to remind myself to turn off the water.

I use a booster pump for RODI and use the auto shutoff from Spectrapure which shuts off the input water, the booster pump, and the outflow when the float switch triggers. 100% reliable for over a year and the nicest part is that my 150G freshwater tank is always full of RODI.

I have several of these placed in spots where I want to know if there is water. Near my topoff resiover and around the sump area

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100038838/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Water+alarm&storeId=10051

I have several of these placed in spots where I want to know if there is water. Near my topoff resiover and around the sump area

http://www.homedepot...m&storeId=10051

thats a great idea. We have one that is hooked up to our alarm system that is in the laundry room so that if the water leaks there we get a call from the alarm company if we aren't home....I was thinking of putting a few around the tank as well.....

I've flooded my basement at least 5 times in the last 2 years thanks to my RO/DI. Finally I just made a stand tall enough to get the top of my barrel above the deep sink and added a bulkhead and hose that spills into the deep sink. The bad thing about that is my filters will not last too long if I forget to turn it off. I'm planning on adding a float valve as well so I'll be double protected.

yep...I ordered from BRS the kit yesterday....I need to make water but I know exactly how it will play out (even with the best intentions)....so I am just going to wait until my package arrives this week LOL

ok so installing the BRS kit today (much cheaper than a divorce attorney or contractor :tongue: )

so I assume that for the float I just drill a hole in the 45 gallon rubbermaid container I use for the water at the height I want the water to stop and put the float in there and then use silicone around the hole to keep it from leaking? Anything else I am missing or should think of?

ok so installing the BRS kit today (much cheaper than a divorce attorney or contractor :tongue: )

so I assume that for the float I just drill a hole in the 45 gallon rubbermaid container I use for the water at the height I want the water to stop and put the float in there and then use silicone around the hole to keep it from leaking? Anything else I am missing or should think of?

No, that's fine. The float inside the bucket is adjustable. You will set it lower than the hole you drilled after installation.