Is this doable? Taking LED's out of 3 cases and rewiring for a hood?

jacksammoms-tank

hi all,

I have 3 Marineland LED Reef capable lights. Don't ask how. But I do not want them in their original cases. I would like to open the cases, take the lights out and rewire to fit a new hood that I am going to build. This is something I have never done. Have no idea if it is doable. Can anyone offer suggestions? Sources for information? I really would like to have this done for Jack's Xmas gift since what do you buy a 12 year old boy? Does anyone in the club want to earn some extra (a little extra) cash to do this for me? Any ideas on the best arrangement of the lights? My tank really does well under these lights. I am happy with them, but I just want to clean up the look.

Tank is a 65 gallon with offset overflow. It is 36.4" x 18.4" x 25".

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help. Toni

How long are the fixtures, Toni, and how long is the space in the hood where they need to fit? I'm assuming that it's these fixtures that you're talking about? My concern is that they're probably either cemented, or more likely installed on a custom aluminum core circuit board that doesn't allow re-distribution of the LED's. You might be able to mount the three housings, though, inside the canopy. Would that work?

Tom, Thanks for replying. Yes, those are the lights. I have not designed the hood. It is really going to be based on how the lights are arranged and what they need for performance. Somehow the plug for one of the lights has been lost. So I cannot use it. I was hoping to be able to change things up and use a new cord. HHMMM. I guess the only way to know how to proceed is by dismantling the one without the cord. If it is installed on a custom aluminum core circuit board, could I at least take it out of the housing so they take up less room. Unless you can think of another way. Thanks again, Toni

Maybe doing the new group buy would not cost too much.

Even if you take them out of the housing, you still need a heat sink to dissipate the heat away from the LED's (which is one of the reasons they mount these in aluminum housings).

FWIW, I use a Reef Capable light on a 75g tank and it grows soft corals and montiporas just fine. 3 of them on a 65 seems like overkill to me. If you have the old style where the cord plugs directly into the fixture, then you can use any old transformer from Radio Shack as long as the cord end is the same.

Guest thefishman65

Is Centreville the correct address? That is on my way home and I could stop buy and look at them one evening.

I do live in Centreville, right by Bull Run Elementary school. And I would absolutely love some help with this. You just have to ignore all of the other projects!!

Let me know when would work for you. Thanks so much!! Toni, the mom to Jack, Sam and Maggie!

Guest thefishman65

Hmm, I wonder if you have as many projects as I do? I will PM you with more information.