The Looking Glass

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you metal halide now? why do you need a chiller?

I have been running MH for 16+ years and do not need a chiller.  However, I would like assistance during the difficult stretch of the summer months when the home air conditioner is not running and the outside humidity is high.  During those days the system will approach 82 degrees.  A couple of fans and dehumidifier have been my key cooling tools.

Thanks for asking.  The system is doing well.  There are a few updates that I will briefly discuss.

Compare to the image on post #464

new%20sump-5_zps8hbfwcxc.jpg

1.  Incorporated Aquaforest

Three months ago, I started using Aquaforest products to feed corals and manage nutrients.  Using Zeomix, Pro Bio S, NP Pro, AF Aminos, AF Vitamins, AF Energy, AF Build, AF Micro E, and AF Reef Salt.  Over the years I have learned that Manganese and Potassium are key elements in my system.    

2.  Corals 

The system is 98% stocked with SPS; need to acquire the JF Fox Flame and Firecracker.  Chalices are not doing very well; I think the 400w MH and strong flow does not provide optimal conditions.  Most likely will remove the chalices and bring in more Acan Lords.  The sampling of Acans I collected a few weeks ago are doing well.    

3.  Custom sump

I recently had a custom sump built (60x24x16) by Pure Reef and plan to install it in a couple weeks.  The craftsmanship and attention to detail is top notch, impressive.  Thanks to Marco for facilitating.  My sump design was inspired by the Royal Exclusiv Dreambox.  No filter socks as I am not a fan of removing the goodness from the reef.

new%20sump-1_zpsbbji57q8.jpg

new%20sump-2_zpscmbbk2hy.jpg

new%20sump-4_zpsgo5udnji.jpg

new%20sump-3_zpshjdzvqsq.jpg

4.  Fish collection

Not much traction in this area.  The Barbonius Anthias is the most recent addition.

5.  On the horizon

Install chiller, frag tank (have not committed), and install ReefBrite XHO.

Why am  I always the last to know. Pure Reefs is my new AquaBox. Their work is excellent, and priced right. Looking good

Awesome update! Our tanks are at very similar points now. I am using aquaforrest as well. How are you running the zeo mix? How much potassium do you have to dose daily? Do you notice a difference when using their (or any) bacteria supplement? We're you using vodka and vinegar before you switched to aquaforrest? If so how did you make the switch? I am currently using a mix of the three even though they say not to. I would guess that's because they can't make money from vodka and vinegar.

I am going to order some salifert potassium tests from china soon if you want to throw down and get some on my order, they are pretty cheap.

My corals have also benefited from maganese and potassium especially now that the tanks adjusted to a high amount of carbon sources.

I wish our experience with Brendan went anywhere near well. In the end of the long horrible experience our tanks crashed because we never got the skimmer we paid for and it was like a row of dominos after that. Thank god the bank got our money back eventually. I will be making my own stuff from now on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Awesome update! Our tanks are at very similar points now. I am using aquaforrest as well. How are you running the zeo mix? How much potassium do you have to dose daily? Do you notice a difference when using their (or any) bacteria supplement? We're you using vodka and vinegar before you switched to aquaforrest? If so how did you make the switch? I am currently using a mix of the three even though they say not to. I would guess that's because they can't make money from vodka and vinegar.

I am going to order some salifert potassium tests from china soon if you want to throw down and get some on my order, they are pretty cheap.

My corals have also benefited from maganese and potassium especially now that the tanks adjusted to a high amount of carbon sources.

I wish our experience with Brendan went anywhere near well. In the end of the long horrible experience our tanks crashed because we never got the skimmer we paid for and it was like a row of dominos after that. Thank god the bank got our money back eventually. I will be making my own stuff from now on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am running 3 liters of Zeomix at 300 gph.  I have not setup the dosing pump for potassium waiting until I install the new sump.  Currently manual dosing potassium 3 ppm per week.  My system went two months without dosing a carbon source, the system did not need it.  I attribute that to my low fish bio load. 

The new Salifert potassium test kits should be in country as of this post.  Keep an eye open at BRS, PA, MD, and Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the sump without any issues.  Due to the increased water volume, adjustments were needed on the calcium reactor and coral feeding (aminos, vitamins, and micro elements).  The sump added approximately 50g to overall system volume.

sump20installed_zpsm61rckt1.jpg

Did you calculate the equipment displacement of water ? Not really 50 gallons. Just saying. Looking good lots of open space to work with.

Did you calculate the equipment displacement of water ? Not really 50 gallons. Just saying. Looking good lots of open space to work with.

From above.

...approximately 50g... :lol2: 

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think you will ever switch to using the a b and c elements from aqua Forrest? What reactor are you using for the zeo mix? Are you shaking the stones? I am going to switch over to the dosing bottles of a b and c elements once my system is used to the zeo mix. This is my first time running any zeo stones. I may pm you a few questions if that's cool . You have been really helpful in the past and I appreciate that.

Also what lighting are you thinking about using in the long run? Radium's without supplements?

Keep the updates coming!

(edited)

With frequent water changes with a good salt and small dosages of a product I am trying out; I most likely will not use AF Components A,B, or C.  I am running 2.5 liters of Zeomix in a Vertex reactor at 250 gph.  No need to shake the stones.  Shaking the stones helps keep them clean of detritus, but AF does not require it.  I am running the following AF products in order of preference:

• AF Zeomix - 2.5 liters changed every six weeks
  • AF Pro Bio S - 6 drops per day - maintains nitrates at 2ppm and phosphates .02ppm
  • AF NP Pro - 6 drops per day - maintains nitrates at 2ppm and phosphates .02ppm
  • AF Aminos - 12 drops per day
  • AF Vitamins - 12 drops per day
  • AF Build - not currently using 
  • AF Energy - not currently using due to experimentation with another product
  • AF Micro E - not currently using due to experimentation with another product
  • Test product #1 and #2 -  5ml per day

I recently matched one Reefbrite XHO with the Radiums.  1,200 watts of Radiums are overpowering the Reefbrites, I can barely tell they are on.  I am going to try running at 250w for six months to see how well the system responds.  

Edited by ridetheducati

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay.

The system is maturing, not as quickly as I would like, but maturing.  I can attribute the slow pace to using 100% dead rock.  High quality seasoned live rock, such as Tampa Bay Saltwater is the best method.  Never doing 100% dead rock again.  22 months in and I am just starting to see signs of a mature system.  With a mature system mistakes can be made and the system does not reactor negatively.  The old salts out there know what I am talking about. 

Still running AF.  I run my nitrates at 2 - 5 PPM and phosphates at .02 - .05 PPM.  I stopped running AF ABVE because of my moderate nutrient levels.  Only running Pro BIOS and NP Pro.  For those hobbyist that rinse Zeomix several days in advance of using it, ensure that you make note of the day the media was rinsed.  Otherwise, a blanket of silicate based brown algae film will form on glass and sand bed.  Guess how I became aware of this scenario. :ohmy:     

Came home today to a Luxcore metal halide ballast not working.  Initial troubleshooting indicates a ballast problem, not a bulb problem.

Edited by ridetheducati

Cool man, glad to hear it's going ok. I need to get some new ballasts and am not sure which route to go. I am using the select a watt lumatek right now on 400hqi with reflux 12ks. What would you suggest if I stay with the reflux bulbs?

How do you like running your system with some readable nitrates and phosphates? Seems a lot of people are going that route now and hitting thoes same parameters.

Oh and where is the FTS? ;)

Cool man, glad to hear it's going ok. I need to get some new ballasts and am not sure which route to go. I am using the select a watt lumatek right now on 400hqi with reflux 12ks. What would you suggest if I stay with the reflux bulbs?

How do you like running your system with some readable nitrates and phosphates? Seems a lot of people are going that route now and hitting thoes same parameters.

Oh and where is the FTS? ;)

Not sure if you can find Lumatek ballasts any more.  Luxcore is available.

Never was a fan of running a zero and zero system (NO3 and PO4) for a SPS dominated system.  I like a dynamic high energy system, high inputs and aggressive exports.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll echo Xabo's sentiments, it's been over a year since the last update! I hope the tank is still setup, and you're still rocking and rolling. Love an update!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tony, we need pictures!!

It looks like its been a long time, about nine months since you've logged in. Hopefully everything is good with you and the tank.

• 1 year later...