Neptune EB8 solution for low power device on triac

Djplus1

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this property of the Neptune EB8, but it just happened to me, so I figured I would share.

I just bought an ATO from Avast and hooked it up to my Aqualifter pump. For some reason, I could not get the Apex to control the pump. It was basically "stuck" on. It was confirmed that my wiring and programming was correct. Even turning the outlets on and off from the iPad or computer did nothing as the pump kept running. After a few emails to Paul from Neptune we figured out that I had the pump on a Triac outlet (1,2,3,5,6 or 7) and would need to move the pump to either 4 or 8 which are both mechanical relays. Of course, I already am using those, so we needed to find another solution. Apparently, if you plug a light embedded outlet saver or pigtail into the Triac outlets and then plug your low powered pump, or whatever into those, there is enough power to trigger the device on and off properly. An added benefit to this is you have a visual to confirm that your pump is in fact on or off.

May not be ground breaking, but certainly saved me from having to buy another Neptune powerbar for the time being.:clap:

DJ, the triac problem is the same as with the old DC8's that are used on the AC series of controllers. That's one of the reasons they added the relay-equipped outlets at the #4 and #8 positions. Some devices just draw so little current, that shutting the triac down is hit-or-miss. I hadn't realized that an Aqualifter fell in this category.

Anyway, are you saying that the 2 positions (#4 and #8) on your EB8 are already driving really low-power loads? If not, you could just swap outlets and put the Aqualifter on a relay and the other device on a triac.

DJ, the triac problem is the same as with the old DC8's that are used on the AC series of controllers. That's one of the reasons they added the relay-equipped outlets at the #4 and #8 positions. Some devices just draw so little current, that shutting the triac down is hit-or-miss. I hadn't realized that an Aqualifter fell in this category.

Anyway, are you saying that the 2 positions (#4 and #8) on your EB8 are already driving really low-power loads? If not, you could just swap outlets and put the Aqualifter on a relay and the other device on a triac.

I could switch, but I would rather not burn out the relays by switching so much, that's why I have my lights on them, once on, once off every day. Like I said, the little light on the outlet saver is actually cool, because I had to physically pick up the Aqualifter to tell if it was on and not just syphoning. This way, if it's still dripping, but the light is out, I can assume that the pump or placement is bad.

I could switch, but I would rather not burn out the relays by switching so much, that's why I have my lights on them, once on, once off every day. Like I said, the little light on the outlet saver is actually cool, because I had to physically pick up the Aqualifter to tell if it was on and not just syphoning. This way, if it's still dripping, but the light is out, I can assume that the pump or placement is bad.

Neat idea.

Can you post up a link or picture of what you are using that lights up?

Here is what I'm using. I bought a couple 3 packs a Big Lots since they are super handy to free up outlet space from power bricks. The light just happens to be a bonus for the Triac plugs. You can also get them at Walmart online if you don't have a Big Lots near you.

post-2633366-135065739067_thumb.jpg