Catching a Emerald Crab.

NYfan78

I have a 2" big emerald crab tha ti want to get ride of. He hangs out under a rock that is the bottom rock of my rocscape. How do i catch him?

You can make a trap out of a plastic soda bottle. Cut the top off of the bottle so that the opening's wide enough for the crab. Then cut a few inches below that. Then, flip and push the top half into the bottom half so there's a funnel that goes into the bottom half. punch a couple of holes in the bottom half so that it floods easily. Now, put some bait and a couple rocks inside (to weigh it down) and set it up near where the crab hangs out. Hopefully, he'll crawl in to get the bait. Once he does, he won't get out.

Another way: Lean a small glass up against his rock and put some bait in the glass. Once he descends into glass, he won't be able to get out.

Anything the crab will go after. A piece of silverside or shrimp, for example. It should be something that you can weigh down so it doesn't float out.

I have a 2" big emerald crab tha ti want to get ride of. He hangs out under a rock that is the bottom rock of my rocscape. How do i catch him?

mine came out once my lights went out. then i caught him with a fish net. little son of a gun.

I tried the glass trap but the cleaner and peppermint shrimp kept taking the shrimp piece out. Ugggh

Weigh it down with a piece of rubble so the shrimp can't take it out. Put the opening of the trap near where the crab likes to hang out. If the shrimp goes in, leave him there. The crab will follow sometime later. Then, just catch both and let the shrimp go while removing the crab.

Hey i got the crab but had to physically go get him which was a big pain in the butt!!! So i have him a small container and the guy aint getting him till sat am. How do i keep him alive? Can i punch holes in a container and put back in display tank with him in it???

He doesn't have a sump.

Scott, I sent you an email (responding to yours to me). If you put a good sized hole in the top of the container - something that'll allow good water exchange, he'll be fine for a little bit. Alternatively, if he's not too large, you can put him in a 4 ounce glass tumbler (like the kind you'd put a mixed drink or juice in) and sink that to the bottom with him in it. As long as he can't reach the edge, the sides are too high, too steep, and too smooth for him to climb out.

Well I put him in my QT tank. I didnt acliment him as i should have as i had to get to bed tow ake up early for work. He seems to be doing ok. (knock on wood).