FFE Corals given away

Dan

Hi there, first off FFE was great! this was my first ever meeting with WAMAS and i will be back for the regular meetings. There were a lot of corals given away yesterday at the end of the meeting. I tried really hard to try and remember all the names/requirements but after getting home and have a bucket full of corals, i realized i couldnt remember the majority of the names! i got them acclimated and went thru a coral drip last night and are on the bottom of my tank. Most have started to look a lot better already.

I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the corals that were handed out? I could always take a picture of the corals and post on here later if i need to, but i figured there were many of us that could use a 'refresher'.

Dan

Edited by Dan

Pictures would be better. Not saying my id of favias (other than "favia species") is the best. There are probably better people to id on here and also gives us a chance to confer with a book. We did not have a list on all, but tom did have some things from Fins and Feathers.

I kept a semi-accurate list of all the ones I got. I think I came pretty close to getting one of everything. Here it is.

Acropora (not sure what type) maybe once it's settled in it can be ID'd

Heliopora, this was the one with the blue skeleton.

Digitata

Assorted Montipora Capricornus pieces.

Assorted Chalice pieces

Trumpet

Gorgonian

3 types of Favia incuding prism. One of them glowed pink under royal blue LEDs last night.

Dendrophyllia, I didn't actually take one but at the end I took a bag of rubble that turned out to have a couple heads in it so I'm going to go ahead and see how they do.

I kept a semi-accurate list of all the ones I got. I think I came pretty close to getting one of everything. Here it is.

Acropora (not sure what type) maybe once it's settled in it can be ID'd

I'm pretty sure that was the "dark" variety. lol

I onlyt took a frag of the digi, but I would like to know what color it is supposed to be, because right now it is just brown.

Are you sure that they didn't contain the rare and highly prized translucent coral?

I was thinking the Tyree limited edition ghost acro.

here are the pictures of the corals i got from the frag fest

here is what i think they are, but would like confirmation:

1) acro

2) chalice

3) trumpet coral

4) ?

5)?

6) ?

7)monti cap

8) favia

2. chalice of some sort not looking to happy.

3. Neon green Candy Cane

5. cyphastrea

6. Acro of some kind maybe a validia

7. Kinda looks like a setosa

those are my guesses

Looks like I acquired an asterina star at FFE as well. Must have been in the rubble. What's the general consensus on these guys? I've seen many conflicting opinions as to whether they're pests or not. I'm hoping it's a keeper, my daughter will LOVE it when she sees it.

Edited by donnievaz

they eat monti caps

Looks like I'm going starfish hunting angry.gif Wish I'd known that last night when he was on the front glass. He was nowhere to be found this morning.

Everything that I got (all low-medium light corals) is doing great, with the exeption of the Dendrophyllia. 2 out of the 3 heads are definitely eating, and none of the heads are extending except for a few tentacles that are barely emerging. Can anyone who may have more experience with these chime in and let me know if this is normal or if I'm just not being patient enough?

thanks

Jared

Hi there, first off FFE was great! this was my first ever meeting with WAMAS and i will be back for the regular meetings. There were a lot of corals given away yesterday at the end of the meeting. I tried really hard to try and remember all the names/requirements but after getting home and have a bucket full of corals, i realized i couldnt remember the majority of the names! i got them acclimated and went thru a coral drip last night and are on the bottom of my tank. Most have started to look a lot better already.

I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of all the corals that were handed out? I could always take a picture of the corals and post on here later if i need to, but i figured there were many of us that could use a 'refresher'.

Dan

I used to have these (in low numbers) with a lot of monti caps, and never once even saw them on the caps.

I'm going to give him a reprieve for now and keep an eye on everything. I haven't seen him since he was on the glass the other night anyway.

Wet Web Media link to Asterina page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/asterinacompf.htm

2001 article on predatory variety of Asterina from Garf:

http://www.garf.org/Star/starfish.html

Some people have problems with them; others don't. The unproven conclusion is that the threat comes from some species and not others. I've never heard anything really definitive and proven about how you separate the two.

We are new to the hobby and by no means experts, but we do have target feeding experience with our yellow and black suns. The black sun coral was not interested in ANY polyp extension for days. We decided to cut the bottom off of a pint size Gatorade bottle, drill a hole in the top for an airline tube, and target feed over the enclosed and protected sun polyps. (I also had to remove aggressive hermit crabs and turn off the power heads.) I left the bottle over it for about 15+ minutes too. We were very successful. tongue.gif We did this for about a week. Now the polyps extend during the day and night to filter feed and also when we target feed. But definitely be patient. Hope this helps.

I have had two different types of asterinas in my tank. One type likes to suffocate my zoas - whether or not they eat them I don't know. The other type has been harmless as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I am now seeing only the bad ones, so maybe they out competed the others.