Underwater camera

mogurnda

We will finally be going back to Bonaire, and it is time to replace the old clunky camera. Looking for:

-Point and shoot

-Able to do everything automatic or all manual adjustment

-Can accept a strobe

-Can go to at least 120 feet.

Anyone have a favorite?

120 feet without a housing?

I don't think it exists....

I use an Olympus stylus tough but if I am diving it has a housing.

Most popular point and shoot cameras have housings out there that can go to 130'. They cost around $200-$300. The housings have a tripod screw mount on the bottom. You can get a strobe, use a strobe arm to attach it to the housing tripod mount. The strobe can be slaved off the camera's internal flash.

There was one site that had a bunch but I can't remember the name. A quick Google found these that may be good:

http://www.underwater-housing.co.uk

http://www.backscatter.com/

Thanks, Dave. I was hoping to get a little input on people's experience with different comibnations. Some are easier to mess about with underwater than others.

I have the Olympus Tough 8000 with an Ikelite housing and strobe. I like the Tap Control feature of the camera which lets me turn on or off the flash. When I am under water I just tap the sides to change settings, no need to push buttons or turn dials with gloves on.

I have the Olympus Tough 8000 with an Ikelite housing and strobe. I like the Tap Control feature of the camera which lets me turn on or off the flash. When I am under water I just tap the sides to change settings, no need to push buttons or turn dials with gloves on.

I have a Canon Powershot A710IS that I used in Hawaii last year, and it seemed to perform pretty well, at least at snorkeling/snuba depths (I can't scuba due to a previous collapsed lung). The custom housing is available from Canon, and allows you to manipulate the full set of camera settings while submerged. Of course, you can pre-set all the automatics ahead of time and not touch anything but the button that snaps the picture. I believe it takes a strobe but don't know for a fact as I don't own one.

Edited by LCDRDATA

I've been using a Canon A570IS powershot with the underwater housing on all my dives and it has worked out quite nicely for me. As LCDRDATA mentioned, you can do pretty much everything with it in the housing that you can do out of the housing. And it goes to depths of up to 130 feet. I have not yet used a strobe with it but I'm pretty sure you can. I use it at the store to take our coral pictures as well. I think they're great and compact for fun dives. I've been able to get some awesome shots underwater, feel free to check out my blog to see some pictures I've taken.

Good luck in your search and have an awesome time in Bonaire! (I'm jealous)

~Melissa

Thanks for the input. I will have a look at the A570IS. I have been very pleased with Canon digital cameras, so I would be happy to get another.

Good luck in your search and have an awesome time in Bonaire! (I'm jealous)

+1 One of my favorite places, love Bonaire!

No help on the camera, just seems cannon has wider support with add on's?? Also always liked their OOC jepgs - they seem to excel @ this.

Here is a side by side comparison on the Olympus Tough 8000 and the Canon A710.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_PowerShot_A710_IS-vs-Olympus_Stylus_Tough_8000

That was very useful. Thanks, Dave. Of course, it also complicates things. The Olympus scores better on almost everything but macro, which will be really important.

+1 One of my favorite places, love Bonaire!

No help on the camera, just seems cannon has wider support with add on's?? Also always liked their OOC jepgs - they seem to excel @ this.

I love Bonaire. I had forgotten what a pain it is to get there now that Air Jamaica doesn't fly there anymore. It's worth it, though.

I have the Sealife DC800 pro set. It's pretty nice for a basic point and shoot. You can get just the camera too without the external flash. Pretty small and you can use the camera as a regular point and shoot to carry around with you.

As I sort through possibilities, I am reminded that TTL metering can be nice. Do any of the compacts have hot shoes anymore?