Mixing Shrimp

LCDRDATA

My wife has a 5 gallon EcoPico with two Sexy Shrimp and a Rainford Goby. Besides another Sexy Shrimp, we want to add 1-2 lysmata species (Fire or Skunk Cleaner, maybe Peppermint) Shrimp and want to be "sure" they will get along. If we added two they would be different species. We'd also like to see them, which is why the Peppermint is listed last. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I haven't had any problems mixing lysmata sp. shrimp together with others, even smaller species. IMO, the skunk cleaners are the most frequently seen of those you mention.

I had a skunk cleaner tear a smaller boxer shrimp apart in my 24-gallon aquapod before. I was pretty surprised, but apparently it's possible for there to be conflict. It happened after the shrimp were in the same tank together for a couple weeks if I recall correctly. So...hard to tell exactly why, hopefully you'll have no problems!

One other comment on shrimp. My peppermints seem to hide out-of-sight most of the time until I feed the tank. The skunk cleaner shrimp are usually visible, even curious about what's going-on in the sea or air out there.

They are probably fine, but remember there is no way to be "sure" of anything. The reef really isn't a very friendly place with most of the things we keep being opportunistic. There is always a chance one critter will go for another critter if they think they look tasty that day.

They are probably fine, but remember there is no way to be "sure" of anything. The reef really isn't a very friendly place with most of the things we keep being opportunistic. There is always a chance one critter will go for another critter if they think they look tasty that day.

Precisely, which is why I put quotes around "sure" in my original post.

My peppermints seem to hide out-of-sight most of the time until I feed the tank.

That was my experience as well, when we had some to work on the aiptasia in my 75-gal display tank. As we would like to see them, the "maybe" on the Peppermint was to address that.

I had a skunk cleaner tear a smaller boxer shrimp apart in my 24-gallon aquapod before. I was pretty surprised, but apparently it's possible for there to be conflict.

Ouch! :ohmy:

I haven't had any problems mixing lysmata sp. shrimp together with others, even smaller species.

SO, we seem to have +2 on the Skunk cleaner for visibility, +1/-1 on the Skunk Cleaner for behavior, and -1 on the Peppermint for visibility. The Fire Shrimp is an unknown quantity at this point, I guess.

Thanks for your comments - anyone else out there have something to add?

The peppermints in my 24 gallon reef, which is populated with very small, non-aggessive fish are always out and about, and have turned a really great color of red. No need to hide when there is no threat.

I've had fire shrimp before too, in my experience, they almost never come out unless you're feeding them. I would say the skunk is the best shrimp you can get as far as appearance, visibility, value, and potential usefulness (as an actual cleaner). just my 2 cents.

I just learned first hand you shouldn't mix peppermint shrimp and Harlequin tusk fish. Apparently they make a taste snack. Just thought I'd share in case you add one to your Pico. Although it was awesome to watch, not a good investment.

I just learned first hand you shouldn't mix peppermint shrimp and Harlequin tusk fish. Apparently they make a taste snack. Just thought I'd share in case you add one to your Pico. Although it was awesome to watch, not a good investment.

Duh. laugh.gif

Sorry to hear about that. According to my quidebook, though, my wife's little tank is an order of magnitude too small for a tusk fish, so I don't think that will be a problem.