Forgot to wear my gloves...

zoozilla

and here's what my fingers found unexpectedly: Bristleworms (standard Pencil length and diameter) :sad: I had a heck of a time pulling out the bristles. Initially, I tried the fingers and tweezers technique without too much luck because I ended up breaking the bristles and leaving some very short pieces still left in my fingers. Finally, I tried melting some candlewax and dipping my finger in. I let the wax dry a bit before attempting to peel off. Success!!! All of the visible bristles were removed. My fingers were itchy and swollen for a few days; feeling a bit like a very bad case of mosquito bites but a few doses of Benedryl and some topical Antibiotics helped.

BristlewormS.jpg

Soak your fingers in vinegar. The bristles are calcium carbonate and will dissolve in the gentle acid. Your finger will continue to be irritated until the bristles are out (just like a regular splinter).

Those bristles look huge. How big was the worm?

I was wondering that myself. Must be a big boy. 6"+?

I agree with duct tape. Last time I got them, I tried the vinegar and it doesn't dissolve the part inside the skin.

Takes care of that pesky skin too. :)

actually it doesn't if you dilute the muriatic with a little water. when I was working with bristle worms and frequently got bristled, Justin (ctenephore) told me to use the muriatic acid that was diluted and it worked fine. it took maybe 10 seconds immersion and I couldn't feel where there had been any bristles and there was no pain or irritation afterwards.

Just toughen up those hands! I don't even notice them when I get them any longer - takes about 10-15 minutes before I feel anything and the vinegar dissolves them after a couple of minutes. If it irritated your hands so badly, you may want to be careful as you might have been having an allergic reaction. You never know what could set you off and be dangerous.

muriatic acid works every time.

Muriatic acid is Hydrochloric acid... in aqueous solution. Generally, the concentrations referred to as muriatic acid range between ~30-40% HCl in aqueous. The pH of HCl at those concentrations ~-1 to -1.2

HCl has widely variable corrosive properties, in proportion to its % of dilution (in water only - highly reactive with several other chemicals). Stomach acid for example is for the most part comprised of HCl. In the stomach, fortunately we have a strong mucous membrane to protect from severely low pH (1-2 - also affected by other reagents in the stomach).

I can't say with certainty what the safe dilution would be for contact to skin, but i'm sure that factoring for a pH of 7 for 0tds rodi water, someone here (calculation of proportions of atomic mass is not my strength) could calculate the molar proportions of H2O and HCl necessary to produce a solution pH of around 6.0, that would also happen to be the average pH of your everyday chlorinated pool - enough to irritate the soft tissue of the eye, but more than safe for contact with skin. Muriatic acid (30-40%) however, i can attest from regrettable personal experience, can cause minor 1st and potentially second degree burns (possibly 3rd if exposure were prolonged).

I'm not sure if a pH of 6 would be effective in dissolving the spines, but i would suppose pH is not the only limiting factor to efficacy of an acid in dissolution of calcium carbonate. Chemistry experts - would the ppm of free Cl, Fl and Br not also be a factor? pH of distilled white vinegar is 2.4

I'm sure someone here has a far broader understanding of the reagent properties of calcium carbonate (unless the spines are of a different calcium compound - i guess i just assumed it was calcium carbonate)

Admitedly, I advised vinegar because I wasn't sure how much muriatic to safely recommend. I have totally switched from Vinegar to muriatic (available at Lowes for like $6 per gallon) for the past > 1years. I use 1 muriatic to 2-3 water (~33%) and have long since (and sense) given up gloves. Althouth it warms the hands a bit, the stuff works incredibly well both to rehabilitate pumps (and anything else with CaCO3) but it takes bristles off instantaneously. While I have tried to make as a rule not to agree with zygote, in this his experience speaks. Soak your hands in muriatic (as I have more than a dozen times) . . . and ignore those who have not . . .

Muriatic acid is very common in the pool industry. So if you can't find it, find a neighbor with a pool or a pool supply store. One of them is bound to have it. It's mainly used to "acid wash" a pool bottom during a "drain and clean" treatment or to clean other parts of a pool. In the hundreds of pools I've cleaned, I have only used it once to lower the pH, and that was a spanking new pool with some wacked out chemistry. I have also used it with an "Acid Wand" to burn a stain off the bottom of a pool w/out draining it.

Speaking from experience: At full strength it will burn on contact with your skin, but you will still have plenty of time to walk over to a hose and rinse it off before a serious burn occurs. The longer you wait though, the more hasty your actions will become as the tingling sensation will turn into a burning sensation rather quickly. Also, avoid inhaling the vapors as the caustic gases can deliver the acid into your lungs.

****** DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYE(S). ******

pH of around 6.0, that would also happen to be the average pH of your everyday chlorinated pool

I think you mean 7.0 7.2 - 7.4 is what you should be looking for in a pool. 6.0 is not good at all.

I fill a plastic cup about half way with water (tap is fine) then a splash of muriatic. Dissolves them pretty much instantly. Does not burn skin at this concentration, but if you have any sort of small cut it'll let you know.

I think you mean 7.0 7.2 - 7.4 is what you should be looking for in a pool. 6.0 is not good at all.

typo, yup.