Frag tanks

Ran across a couple of hagen mold-injected ponds online. Any thoughts on whether these would work as long-term frag tanks?

photo%2B3-722093.JPG

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I agree... andit would be fitting for your name :)

It probably means "injection molded" as in liquid plastic is forced into a mold (or mould) in the shape of the desired object, and then released after it hardens. That's how a lot of plastic things are made. You will just want to clean it thoroughly to remove any release agents.

I highly doubt that they inject mold spores into the plastic. :biggrin:

I highly doubt that they inject mold spores into the plastic. :biggrin:

lol. phew! no i was thinking it might be one of those anti-mold chemicals inserted into the plastic?

I think these would be great not only for a frag tank but maybe a sump and definitely a QT tank. The fact it's black and not glass will help stressed out fish so they aren't scared by every little thing that goes by the tank. They make them in 60, 108 and 250 gallon sizes. Not many places in the US sell these but I was able to find the 60G on Amazon for $46 which seems like a decent price.

It's hard to find plastic containers strong enough to be filled with water. While lots of Rubbermaid bins and storage totes can hold water, most of them start to bow out when filled. Since they are designed for water, hopefully these guys won't. Cool find!

It's hard to find plastic containers strong enough to be filled with water. While lots of Rubbermaid bins and storage totes can hold water, most of them start to bow out when filled. Since they are designed for water, hopefully these guys won't. Cool find!

Something to think about is that these are designed to be inserted into an excavated hole which would support the sides and prevent bowing. Putting it into a wooden frame to support the sides might be needed.

They look great. With hanging light fixture and egg crate to elevated and hold frags, you could even house fish in them.