Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Looking forward to your review on them Larry. Mine came two weeks ago, it's in the basement next to the tub of dead rock I put in salt water last weekend. I have pics, and will continue this thread soon. :)

I let it run over-night in a bucked of change water and threw-in a little skimmate just for fun.

Put it on the tank the next morning and it was pulling-out gunk by the next day :-)

Quite and efficient. Definitely best bang for the buck. I might add a drain to the cup just to make it a little better.

Thanks for the "Tip".

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been awhile since I've upgraded this thread. On May 28th I started the rock cooking:

Smaller Rocks:

DSC_0002.jpg

Larger Rocks:

DSC_0003.jpg

What was left in box, John over at reefcleaners is first class:

DSC_0005.jpg

Clean tub:

DSC_0008.jpg

Added water, salt, powerhead and heater:

DSC_0009.jpg

Soaking Rock:

DSC_0013.jpg

It's been a month, have had to add RO water several times. Haven't tested any, I plan on changing water later this week.

It's crazy busy here between kids, work, etc., since I won't have time until late August to deal with this tank, I emailed Adam a few weeks ago telling him if he had any other jobs that needed to get out, mine could be put on the back burner. I think he was relieved :tongue:

I'm still undecided on the rest of the equipment to buy: return pump, lighting, ato and powerheads to start. I am seriously considering the Tunze 6095 with the 7096 controller, any comments on these?

• 11 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread.  I primed the stand last October using Valspar indoor/outdoor bonding primer:

IMG_0570.jpg

The holidays, the birth of my second grand child, weekend trips, etc.... all got in the way it's progress.  Decided it was time I made it a priority, so the past few weeks I've been working on the stand.  I used the same color paint as the walls of the den for the inside of the stand:

DSC_0002-1.jpg

It's a nice mustard yellow, once I used 3 coats of Minwax hi gloss polyurethane I'm very satisfied with the results:

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Next was the outside of the stand.  I found a Valspar "sand" paint I really liked it but hesitated due to the textured finish.  I wasn't sure if it would hold up to salt water as Valspar says "not for use in kitchens or bathrooms."  After a few days and three unanswered emails to Valspar, I decided to go for it, could be a BIG mistake, meh, I went for it anyway.  The pics don't really show the texture, it is very different, and I really like it.

DSC_0024.jpg

Everyone that walks into this house is forced to give a comment on it, and I'm happy to say they are very favorable.  Now let's just hope I holds up. 

Due to the texture, I decided to use a spray sealer instead of roll on.  I used four light coats of this to seal it:

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Satin finish, I'm not entirely convinced it's sealed good enough.  I might buy a liquid can and roll a coat or two of the same Polycrylic later on, right now I've got other items to finish. 

While I was waiting on everything to dry, I decided to work on my electrical board.  First, I had to cut the plywood down to 23"x30", I haven't used a circular saw in many years.  I am determined this reef would be ALL mine, no help from my DH, who was not happy, he didn't like the idea of me, and a rotating circular saw, cutting down 1/2" plywood.  He sent our 18yo son out to "supervise" which was fine, we laughed thru the whole process.  And yes, I cut the dam board, not real straight, but it's done  :clap: but forgot to take pics of the big moment....  After sanding:

DSC_0009-1.jpg

I primed it:

DSC_0011.jpg

and painted it the same color as the inside of the stand:

DSC_0014.jpg

It's sitting in my garage, waiting for two more coats of polyurethane.

For the past few months I've been collecting equipment:

Eheim 1262 for the return:

DSC_0018.jpg

Apollo Reef LED 5000+:

DSC_0019.jpg

Eheim 100W heaters x2:

DSC_0020.jpg

LED cabinet lights, not sure which one I'm using, or where I'm putting them:

DSC_0021.jpg

American DJ 4 outlight bar, which might be too thick to fit where it needs to go:

DSC_0022.jpg

Still to come is my order from Bulk Reef supply:

Apex Controller with Standard pH Probe - Neptune Systems  
Advanced Leak Detection Module: ALD - Neptune Systems   
3 Ft DIY 1/4" Screen Top Netting Kit   
Hanna Checker Alkalinity Colorimeter

I also ordered a WP25 from Fish-street, hoping it's not too much flow for my tank which is 18" high.  We'll see....

I also moved my rock from the basement, where it has been sitting, in the bin, for over a year, to the garage:

DSC_0013-1.jpg

and covered it due to lots of activity in my garage during the summer:

DSC_0012.jpg

I did test the little bit of water left in the bin for phosphate with my Hanna meter, it was .61.  Not good.  Thinking about trying SeaKlear Spa Phosphate Remover Jim mentioned to me last year. 

I bought this to put under my sump:

DSC_0023.jpg

Just teasing, kind of.  I actually did buy it for under the sump, but turning it over, it's black:

DSC_0024-1.jpg

The stand is in the house again, I turned my never used dining room into a staging area for the tank project.  Put the sump into the stand, this is where I am tonight:

Stand with doors on it:

DSC_0015.jpg

Stand with sump and PS in it:

DSC_0016.jpg

I still have to set up electrical board, bend some conduit to hang my lights, let the ps run overnight in a bucket of vinegar, deal with plumbing the herbie, and decide on a scape.

I am also considering going with Zeovit.  Start up cost is almost 350$ if you include the basic four in medium size bottles and the vertex RX-Z 1.5L reactor:

207293_rx-z_15_zeolith_media_reactor_a.j

I keep going back and forth on Zeovit, mostly due to the cost, but my tank is only 58 gallons, products should last me awhile.  I'm ok with a daily dosing regime, been doing it for years with my fw tanks.  I've read several threads here on Wamas, RC and the Zeovit forum.  Can I get everyone's opinion here...should I go for it?

Check out Brad's build, he's doing it with what looks like spectacular results.

Had a little time today to work on the tank build.  I painted the side molding the wrong color:

DSC_0024-2.jpg

but it was an 5 min easy fix:

DSC_0026.jpg

I also marked the electrical board where I wanted it to sit, thinking I'm going to leave a gap at the bottom as well as the top.  This way, if I have cords coming from the inside ceiling of the stand (stand lights maybe?) I can run that cord thru the top of the board.  Made sure I had enough room to fit the plug thru the gaps:

DSC_0023-1.jpg

Tomorrow my BRS order will be here  :clap:   I'll configure the board then.

I also put together my protein skimmer, since it's a cheap chinese knock off, it didn't come with directions, luckily this is not my first reef, was easy to figure out once I found the barb fitting that fell behind the buffet it was sitting on:

DSC_0027.jpg

I'll run it thru a vinegar bath tomorrow when I home.  Do have a questions:  how much vinegar, and how long do I let it run?  I was thinking 8 hours or so...but not sure.

I'll run it thru a vinegar bath tomorrow when I home.  Do have a questions:  how much vinegar, and how long do I let it run?  I was thinking 8 hours or so...but not sure.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I would run it in a vinegar bath for about 24 hours. Will that skimmer fit in a 5 gallon bucket... if so... perfect. Do a vinegar/ro solution, not sure what the "perfect" combo is here, but I would do about a cup of vinegar to each gallon. If you don't have a lot of it on hand, try costco or sams club, and then stock up. I use it for cleaning most of my pumps and powerheads, and it's cheap as chips compared to everything else in the hobby!

Clever work making the one removable side an outfacing electrical area Loni =).  Will have nice easy access there!  Its been so long since I last saw this build leave.  I'm actually laughing at some of the pics that were taken from my garage before I got the dedicated work shop lol.

I look forward to seeing your build progress....surprised there are no pics of the infamous ArtFully Acrylic Glass Tank up yet hahahahahahaha.

You should see if they will somehow let you edit that main starting post to the thread so you can fix up the details since I know some of them changed way back when.  Such as the fact that the tank is 36x24x18 whereas the stand is 42x24 =).

It will be fun to watch!  TTYL!

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I would run it in a vinegar bath for about 24 hours. Will that skimmer fit in a 5 gallon bucket... if so... perfect. Do a vinegar/ro solution, not sure what the "perfect" combo is here, but I would do about a cup of vinegar to each gallon. If you don't have a lot of it on hand, try costco or sams club, and then stock up. I use it for cleaning most of my pumps and powerheads, and it's cheap as chips compared to everything else in the hobby!

Thanks YH, exactly what I was looking for, I have a BIG jug of white vinegar I can use....

Just went through this thread.  I'm liking what I'm seeing.  Good progress!

TYVM...it's been over a year coming!

Clever work making the one removable side an outfacing electrical area Loni =).  Will have nice easy access there!  Its been so long since I last saw this build leave.  I'm actually laughing at some of the pics that were taken from my garage before I got the dedicated work shop lol.

I look forward to seeing your build progress....surprised there are no pics of the infamous ArtFully Acrylic Glass Tank up yet hahahahahahaha.

You should see if they will somehow let you edit that main starting post to the thread so you can fix up the details since I know some of them changed way back when.  Such as the fact that the tank is 36x24x18 whereas the stand is 42x24 =).

It will be fun to watch!  TTYL!

Big smiles Adam, great to hear from you again.  I will be emailing you about some other smaller builds I have in mind  :)   I had the webmaster change the title, but forgot about my first post.  I'll def see what they can do about changing the first post. 

(edited)

Felt like Christmas in July today:

Apex:

untitledevent-3.jpg

ALD:

untitledevent-2.jpg

WP25:

untitledevent-4.jpg

Hanna Alkalinity:

untitledevent-5.jpg

Screen cover:

untitledevent-6.jpg

This afternoon I ordered the rest of my testing kits, a ZEOvit reactor and a few bottles of ZEOvit to get me started.

I also had a few minutes to plan out the electrical board:untitledevent-1.jpg

Decided to cut it down from 30" long to 22" long.  This gives me 10+ inches on the bottom of the stand to add dosing jugs. 

We're having out of town company and my daughter is having a "small" pool party here on the 4th, this build will have to wait until the weekend to continue :angry:

Have a wonderful 4th everyone....

Edited by londonloco