Loco's 59g rimless tank build

Thought I'd start a tank journal on my new 68g rimless. This will be a slow moving journal as I'm not planning on filling it until Aug/Sept time frame.

Tank: is being built by Adam Bowers of ArtFully Acrylic. Have to give Adam 400 thumbs up, I wasn't sure what I wanted when I contacted him off of his CL ad. He's been very patient with my questions and ramblings. Tank Specs:

42"x24"x18"

�� starfire glass front panel

Three panels �� reg glass

Internal glass coast to coast toothless type overflow: 18-" length, 4" depth, 5" height

Overflow cover frosted acrylic

Overflow acrylic top

5 holes drilled, 3 for overflow, 2 for returns, bean animal

black silicone

5 sch 40 slip bulkheads installed for bean animal

I'm thinking about using this:

http://www.wallpaperforwindows.com/pc/Frosted-Glass-Window-Film-c45.htm

for the back of the tank. I've seen pics of tanks with frosted back grounds, and I liked them. Of course, when I went hunting for them again, couldn't find one. It's easily removable, so if I don't like it, I can always go with a black backing.

Stand: also being built by Adam Bowers, 42x24x40 oak stand ready for paint or stain, 2�X4� framed with front and side doors removable by cleats. Open back with one vertical support back middle and front. No hinges. I'm rethinking the no hinges, ooops, Adam, did you read this? laugh.gif Right now plans are painting the stand a grey white wash.

Sump: also being built by Adam, 3/8" rimless acrylic sump, 3 baffled bubble wall and a baffle with teeth separating the return and refugium area. The baffles would be setup to run at 8" with the sump dimensions:

Total: 30x16x16

1st chamber, inflow/protein skimmer

2nd chamber, fuge

baffles

3rd chamber, return

ATO: Adam threw this option out and I jumped on it, separate reservoir 16x4x16, 4 gallon-ish, part of the lid hinged and 2 holes, one for ventilation and one for tubing.

Adam has the ATO almost finished and the sump completely finished. I'll post the pics he sent me last week while I was away in a few minutes, but right now I have to feed my fish.... blush.gif

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was away last week, yearly Myrtle Beach Bike week trip. Adam emailed me pics of the ATO build:

ATO 5.10.12:

ato510.jpg

ato2510.jpg

ATO 5.16.12, Reservoir finished, waiting on acrylic hinges to come in to complete top:

ATO516.jpg

5.16.12, Adam's pics of the sump progress:

sump516.jpg

sump2516.jpg

Today, 5.21.12, I received pics of the finished sump:

finishedsump521.jpg

finishedsump2521.jpg

I'm very impressed, the build is not only progressing timely, the build is very clean. It's going to be hard to wait until the entire build is done. :rolleyes:

I was going with a Reef Octopus 4" Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer OCT NWB110 from Bulk Reef Supply until I saw this thread on RC:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2032645&highlight=sc+aquarium

I know, I know, you only get what you pay for, clones suck, etc.... But I ended up buying it off of ebay, paid 115$ shipped to my door. It arrived while I was away, package very well, nothing broken, pump works. If it fails to perform, I'll keep it as a back up skimmer and move on.

Many here joined in on my "help me decide on lighting" thread, and I'm still mulling over options. I'd love to try the Radions, but $1500 for two of them plus the hanging bracket is killing me. I've had MH before, and curently have 4 freshwater setups with T5HO's, bulb replacement has me going back to LED's. Meh, I have time to decide.

I bought 50lbs of dry rock from reefcleaners.com. Hoping this week to get it soaking in salt water for a few months, I'll def put a heater and powerhead in the tub but undecided it I want to put a light on it.

I still haven't decided on a return, leaning towards an Eheim 1262 since the stand is 40" tall and I'll have a 57"ish head on the return. I can always use it for my 125g Tangy tank if I find it's too much flow.

I think I'm going with a bag or two of Tropic Eden Reeflakes Aragonite Sand. I've used it before, it's just the right size and I really like the coloring of it.

Not sure what powerheads I'm going with, probably start off with a MP60, but then again, I haven't really investigated the controllable Tunze pumps.

I think that's all for now, as Adam sends me pics of the tank and stand build I'll update this thread. I'm hoping some of you will comment on what I have so far. I'd rather buy it right the first time, except the protein skimmer, I'll probably be buying that twice for this build.... :blink:

I'd recommend two MP40's instead of one MP60. It'll give you more options and more random flow.

I second the 2 MP40's. I had them on my 75 gallon and then my 100 gallon and two worked great. The MP60 would have to be dialed too far down and that would be a shame to pay so much to only have it at 50%

Stand: also being built by Adam Bowers, 42x24x40 oak stand ready for paint or stain, 2"X4" framed with front and side doors removable by cleats. Open back with one vertical support back middle and front. No hinges. I'm rethinking the no hinges, ooops, Adam, did you read this? :laugh: Right now plans are painting the stand a grey white wash.

Nope didn't read it at all...I see nothing about another change..rolleyes.gif. Hmmmm, actually I think you were smart in starting new email threads along the way with me as you made it difficult for me to actually see the total email count that we have back and forth wacko.gif.

Not a problem adding hinges to the doors Loni, but with your current stand specs it will require some other changes. I will email you the particulars.

I ordered 50lbs of dry rock from Reef Cleaners, price was right, 2$ a pound delivered, this is my 3rd order with them, I've never been disappointed. I emailed John my tank specs so he could appropriately size the rock he sent me. The rock came the day before I left for a weeks vaca, it was bubble wrapped perfectly, all I had two small pieces of rubble in the bottom of the box. Since I was leaving the next day, unwrapped the box, took out each piece, then quickly put it back in the box. I'll take better pic of the rock's when I start the cooking process:

dryrockinbox.jpg

I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to buy a bin to cook this rock in for a few months. I've never used dry rock, which leads me to a few questions:

1- Why is the hobby norm to use Brute bins? Is there a reason beyond strength? I thought I'd just get a shallow rubber maid container, is this a bad thing to do?

2- I plan on using (RO) salt water, a power head or two, heater, change the water out weekly, bin kept in the garage, eventually when the water runs clear, test for PO4. Sound like a good plan? Should I add a light? Should I add the new skimmer I bought off of ebay?

I also need a mod to change the title of this thread. There was a bit of confusion (all in MY head) about the width of the tank Adam is building for me. It's NOT 42" long, it's 36" long, therefore the tank is just shy of 60 gallons. Mod, please change the title to Loco's 60g rimless...... Thanks!

2- I plan on using (RO) salt water, a power head or two, heater, change the water out weekly, bin kept in the garage, eventually when the water runs clear, test for PO4. Sound like a good plan? Should I add a light? Should I add the new skimmer I bought off of ebay?

What do you mean by "cooking"? The rock is dead, there should not be any die off to require a skimmer nor anything alive to require a light.

I've read 1000 times it's a crap shoot with dead rock if you don't soak it before hand. Even tho it's dry dead rock, it has lots of nooks, cranny's, holes, where dead dry matter can be hiding. "Cooking" it will hopefully dissolve, release, etc that matter.

I've read 1000 times it's a crap shoot with dead rock if you don't soak it before hand. Even tho it's dry dead rock, it has lots of nooks, cranny's, holes, where dead dry matter can be hiding. "Cooking" it will hopefully dissolve, release, etc that matter.

You absolutely 110% positively want to cook it. A rubbermaid bin or brute is fine, either would work. No need for a skimmer or a light. A heater and a powerhead or two will work fine. Have you considered using an acid to wash them in as well? You can google how to cook dry rock and get ideas on what to use and how to use it. If I were doing dry rock again, I'd do the acid wash and then cook it for 3 months after that.

Thanks Ryan :) I have Googled, there are 1000 threads out there on RC. Just thought I'd get a few Wamas member advice on it. I plan on using some of the live rock from my 20g long in the new tank (and sump) also.

I didn't cook my dry rock and I regret it big time. If you have the rubbermaid and rock now, even if the tank isn't finished, might as well get it started.

I "cooked" my Pukani rock from BRS for about a month in a Brute and used a lanthanum chloride product to reduce phosphate. I'm very happy I did.

I "cooked" my Pukani rock from BRS for about a month in a Brute and used a lanthanum chloride product to reduce phosphate. I'm very happy I did.

Smart man right there. :cheers:

Do you have the product name? Procedure? please.....

Do you have the product name? Procedure? please.....

I actually have most of a 32 oz bottle left if I can get it to you. The brand name is Sea Klear phosphate remover. It takes very, very little LC to precipitate phosphate. This thread from reefcentral is pretty similar to my method:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2145395&highlight=lanthanum

I did not use a skimmer, but I don't think it would hurt. I did rinse the rock and clean it pretty thoroughly with a brush before I started the process.

Jim thanks! I skimmed the thread, exactly what I was looking for. I have a few neighbors with spa's, I'll check around and see if any of them have the Sea Klear phosphate remover. If not, I'll pm you. Once again, thanks!

(edited)

Hey Loni, very anxious to see how the tank progresses. Interesting find on the SC skimmer. Looks like great bang for the buck. LMK if you ever decide to switch-over to FW; I'll buy your old stuff :tongue: (inside joke)

Edited by Larry Grenier

Looking forward to your review on them Larry. Mine came two weeks ago, it's in the basement next to the tub of dead rock I put in salt water last weekend. I have pics, and will continue this thread soon. :)